Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  08:35:16 AM  Show Profile
Happy New Year Friends!! Well today is the day we break out the black eyed peas for good luck. My Hubby and I love them, our son practically gags on them! I always tell him to have at least a teaspoon full. He said, "Ya know Mom, last year wasn't all that great...I don't think your good luck-pea thing works". I told him, "Just think how bad it would have been if you hadn't had your teaspoon of black eyed peas"!!! Anyone else having their peas today? I'll bet Aunt Jenny is! Big New Year Hugs, Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  11:35:26 AM  Show Profile
LOL! I have never heard of that one Luzy!

O, Come let us adore HIM! www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  1:37:19 PM  Show Profile
Yep...we are having them for sure. I have been hit with stomach flu big time all day yesterday and today..but we are still having those peas...like you said..just think how bad it could be if we don't??? haha

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  5:08:11 PM  Show Profile
We've never done black-eyed peas for good luck. Always do navy beans and ham! Didn't do it this year though. Made vegetable soup instead.

Jenny, sorry to hear you've been sick. That flu is traveling around everywhere. Hope it doesn't travel this far north!

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands -Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  09:30:34 AM  Show Profile
Wouldn't start the new year without 'em! Even got my French hubby on board with them! Also gotta have those collards for wealth. Happy New Year filled with peace and contentment to all my farmgal pals! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  09:32:06 AM  Show Profile
Oops, also wanted to wish speedy recovery to you, Aunt Jenny! Have some peppermint tea and let the yung'uns wait on you today! You deserve a little pampering. Nance
Go to Top of Page

beckels
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

becky
warrington pa
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  09:42:00 AM  Show Profile
We didnt have black eye peas to bring in the new year - but being Pennsylvania Dutch we had pork and saurkraut with mash potatos

beckels
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  10:34:50 AM  Show Profile
I didn't get the chance to make black eyed peas, but we usually do that as well and I recently saw a really yum yummy way of preparing them and I had wanted to try it. We had to go help my parents yesterday so we were not home-good thing neither of us had consumed too too much adult beverage! LOL!

Happy New Year!!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  6:44:52 PM  Show Profile
I ate my black eyed peas for good luck and had fried cabbage for wealth. You know, I eat that every New Years Day and I still haven't found my pot of gold. Maybe I'm looking under the wrong rainbow. you think,.
Laura

3 barrels, 2 hearts, 1 passion
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  6:51:36 PM  Show Profile
I made a nice ham and black eye pea soup with a blend of southwest flavored corn, it was really yummy,so very simple to do too.
Took about 2 cups of chopped left over Honey Baked Ham
1 pkg. frozen black eye peas
1 pkg steam fresh southwest style corn
Add about 4-5 cups water.

put in crock pot on high for about 5 hrs.
A nice hearty soup that is very yummy and can't get any easier than this.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  7:17:25 PM  Show Profile
Wow Tina, that sounds yummy! I could live on soups. I'll sure give it a try. Years ago we went on a cruise and what was I most impressed with?? The soups!! Silly ol' Farmgirl!

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  7:40:45 PM  Show Profile
another yummy crockpot thing that we do around here is this:

take about 6-8 baby red potatoes and cut into quarters.

add a pkg of kielbasa sausage cut up into slices

add about a lb to lb and a half of fresh green beans or you can use a pkg of frozen green beans

add about 3-4 cups water, just enough to cover all the goodies.pepper to taste, no need to salt as sausage has enough salt.

Cook in crockpot on high for about 4-5 hrs or until beans and potatoes are tender.

So yummy, it is one of my husband's favorite meals.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  10:26:34 PM  Show Profile
How come nobody has called it what it is? Hoppin'John! My husband lived in the south for several years in his early twenties and that is a New Year's tradition he insists on every year, and I am the one with the southern grandparents! He even made several containers to "share" this year as we were visiting several people on that day. I ate my spoonful but it's not my favorite thing he makes! And we haven't landed in a pile of money either! We never did it growing up but my Mom's family was strictly New England so we always had "northern" New Year's food (ham dinner, etc...)

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  1:48:44 PM  Show Profile
Tina, I am doing the Crock pot meal tomorrow.. Potatoe's,sausage and green beans yummmy good for my tummy.... My wonderful SIL who is German gave me a cookbok for Christmas and I have devoured it every day since....She made us herring salad, pickled herring with beets and onions and small tiny potato cubes and sour cream.....Oh my, so good and then braised steak roled up with a large sweet pickle in middle.......I am going to be a HUMPTY DUMPTY if I keep eating this food....I am already a chunky butt Italian.....

margie

Love of friends and family makes the world go round..and always a little Chocolate.

margie
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Happy Black-eyed Pea Day!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page