Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 President Ford will be here tomorrow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic President Ford will be here tomorrow Next Topic  

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  08:18:01 AM  Show Profile
I live just outside of Grand Rapids. Gerald R. Ford has had quite an impact on this area. If anyone follows this on the news tomorrow, know that I'm giving a farmgirl wave to all.

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  08:30:52 AM  Show Profile
A grand salute to a kind and gentle man. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  09:16:53 AM  Show Profile
My family lives in that area and my cousin and her kids intend to pay their respects tomorrow. He was a decent, honorable man, always. God grant him rest.
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  09:28:22 AM  Show Profile
Katie-ell, Did you grow up in this area?
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  12:37:36 PM  Show Profile
President Ford was a very kind, gentle, honest man who helped heal this country during a very difficult time. He was the first president I voted for in 1976 -- first time I ever voted!

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands -Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  12:38:00 PM  Show Profile
We were there last week - just came back to Ohio yesterday. Our farm is north of GR by about 20 miles. I guess we'll miss the excitement, but the news coverage on TV sure stirred a lot of memories of a good man.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  2:20:33 PM  Show Profile
Ann -- I grew up south of Holland, Michigan. I have a brother and his wife in Wyoming, a cousin in Hamilton/Holland (whom I just visited yesterday) and lots of other cousins in the area, a brother and his wife in Big Rapids, a brother and his new wife (one year yesterday!) in Spring Lake, a sister and her family in St Joseph, and a niece in Kalamazoo! Also a sister in Eugene, Oregon. I'm outside of Chicago now and just love going back to western Michigan.

Where is Belmont?

Oh, I just Google-map'd you -- I see where you are. Are you near the Frederick Meijer gardens? I love that place!

Edited by - katie-ell on Jan 01 2007 2:22:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  2:31:51 PM  Show Profile
Ann, what a neat privilege you have!

O, Come let us adore HIM! www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

beckels
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

becky
warrington pa
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  3:56:24 PM  Show Profile
I would of loved to be in Washington to pay respects to Mr Ford. I saw that his family was greeting people today when they paid their respects.

beckels
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2007 :  8:43:09 PM  Show Profile
Not to get off subject from the initial discussion, sorry ladies....
Katie-ell, We are just 10 min. from the gardens. It is a beautiful place. My wedding reception was there after a charming wedding at the Ada Covered Bridge.

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  5:49:50 PM  Show Profile
I was able to watch this morning's services...same for a few nights ago too. I used to live in Palm Desert (5 minutes from Rancho Mirage), and actually, President Ford was on the zoo's honorary board of directors. I wonder if the zoo did any kind of memorial. Small world isn't it??

Was kind of cool to hear about all the good things he did

I was just a kid when he took office
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  6:24:24 PM  Show Profile
I have memories of him riding in a covertible through the Labor Day parade in Comstock Park, MI when he was a member of the House. That would have been in the early 60's; I was a youngster...my what memories.

I also remember flying back to Grand Rapids to visit family after his presidency. After we landed, we were instructed to remain seated until the First Class cabin was vacated. After we disembarked, I found out the President Ford had been in First Class. I can't remember exactly the date but probably in the early 80's. That was pretty exciting...to be on the same plane as the President.
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  1:05:55 PM  Show Profile
I think/thought Gerald R. Ford was a wonderful man,loving husband and father... My Brother and SIL had the priviledge to take part in his funeral..They both are involved with HLS and she is a CRNP with the Medical team.....What a wonderful tribute to him from America....

margie

Love of friends and family makes the world go round..and always a little Chocolate.

margie
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  2:45:04 PM  Show Profile
Just finished watching the internment ceremonies. Very, very touching. He was an honorable family man who loved his country. God speed, Mr. President.

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic President Ford will be here tomorrow Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page