YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2006 :  3:50:33 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone out there ever tried, or even heard of, Nordic Walking? It's basically just walking using poles. (I guess it's a big sport in Finland.) Not only do you benefit from walking but also from using your arms (= a whole body workout). Using the poles is also supposed to help take the impact off of your knees and other joints.

I just went to REI Coop and invested in a pair of poles. I had hoped to find poles specifically for Nordic Walking, but the closest things I could find are Trekking Poles...

Just wondering if there is someone out there with some info to share with me.

Karin

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2006 :  4:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Sorry Karin, I don't know anything about that subject. Let me know how it all goes. I only walk to the refridge, to the bed, to the couch,etc. No, really I run to those places.teehee I'm not really into excerise but I wish you luck. I need to get into excerise.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2006 :  5:48:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karin,
I use walking poles here in NC Washington. I find them to be very beneficial and I enjoy walking with them more than without. They definately engage the whole upper body in movement. I read about, and have been using this technique, to extend your arms as if to shake hands and this then engages the most muscle groups in the action.

Good for you!

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2006 :  6:20:24 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I use those trekking poles for hiking and backpacking. It definitely takes the strain off of the knees. Nordic walking is supposed to be excellent for the body...here's to your health!

Catherine :)

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2006 :  4:30:55 PM  Show Profile
Nordic Walking is an offshoot of cross-country skiing, for which Nordic people are famous. Using the poles while you walk was started as a way of "spring and summer" training for those who ski cross-country in the winter. I would think that trekking poles would work well, but there are special poles for it somewhere. They are very similar to ski poles. It is very good for your body, and another way to power walk.

Ephesians 1:17
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Nordic walking -- ??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page