Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Problem designing my new kitchen -- Help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Problem designing my new kitchen -- Help! Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2006 :  12:08:11 PM  Show Profile
I'm to the point of ordering cabinets, countertop, and sink, and I'm really anxious to do that because at this point I run up and down the stairs to the only working bathroom for water, to do dishes, etc. Anyway, my problem is that I can't plan my kitchen around my present stove's measurements because I'll be replacing it as soon as I can find the stove I really, really want -- a vintage stove from around the 1930's. How do I do this without creating a huge problem later? The way my kitchen is configured, I have to plan for the stove's size now. Anyone here ever deal with this? What did you do?

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2006 :  3:11:06 PM  Show Profile
Patti,
My suggestion would be go as wide as your going to need for your dream stove and order extra filler piece(s) for the cabinetry and extra length on your countertop to make up the difference. Otherwise, I'm a-feared you will never get the dream stove because it will cost too much to re-do the kitchen again! You can always cut down the counter top and pull out the filler pieces when the dream stove arrives!
just my 2 cents
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2006 :  9:06:31 PM  Show Profile
I think Patti's suggestions are great. Unless you have a separate wall that you could locate the vintage stove by itself, I don't know of another option. When you pull out the filler pieces, you may need to install a piece of finished wood on the side of the cabinet(s) left in place. Most of it will probably be hidden by the stove, but it will look nicer than exposed rough wood.

Sandy in Missouri

I'm at that age where I need my own warning label!
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  09:29:27 AM  Show Profile
Patti,
Why not plan and install the sink area first with cabinets that can be matched up to later. This way, you would have a working sink and some counter space. You can then purchase your stove and add the rest of the cabinets afterward. Just an idea.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  11:04:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi Patti, so glad your plans are all coming true! If it were me, I'd plan much better than the stove, and afterwards you could make a extra slim cabinet for cookie sheets and other pans that don't have a place just for them. Do you understand my idea? I've seen them before, a tall slender door next to the stove for pans. Shouldn't cost hardly nothing, you could use scraps too, maybe?

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
And my new food blog at: www.homesteadblogger.com/gardencafe
Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  12:29:42 PM  Show Profile
I have no idea if this is a viable solution or not, so chuck it out the window if it isn't!

Three years ago, we were looking to buy a house that needed the kitchen totally remodeled. We took the general measurements to Lowe's cabinet/kitchen center, and they gave us a FREE workup of how the cabinets would look, and all the sizes. They can leave space as big as you need for a stove, plus a bit for maybe that narrow cabinet. They will print it off and give it to you; you would know then how it will look, and I believe sizes of everything to order. We didn't end up getting the house, but it was nice knowing exactly what the cabinets were going to look like, if we needed to purchase them.

Val
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  8:27:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, ladies, for the great suggestions. After reading your responses and visiting Lowes, we've decided to buy a utility sink to use for now and not put in the cabinets until we find the stove we want. We'll put the utility up where the sink will be, so the water lines will be in the right place, and when we put in the cabinets/sink, we'll just put the utility sink in dh's work area in the basement. I may have found a stove and will know more in a few days.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Problem designing my new kitchen -- Help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page