Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Starting a Block of the Month (BOM)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Starting a Block of the Month (BOM) Next Topic
Page: of 3

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  4:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I am starting a block of the month (BOM) for anyone interested in making a new quilt. There will be no swapping involved; you will make the block in your own colors and keep the blocks you make. You can make as many or as few of the blocks as you want, and you will have a very nice quilt whenever you decide you have enough blocks. I will post ideas for different ways to sash and/or put together the blocks.

Here are the guidelines:
1. Once a month someone taking part in this swap will choose a 12" finished block pattern from www.quilterscache.com, where there are hundreds of patterns available. On this page (http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html) you go to the alphabetical listing of quilt blocks, where the block size is given for each, or a bit further down the page you can view pictures of blocks and go to the pattern link so you can copy it and post here. Please just make sure it is a 12" finished block. There are over 60 pages of blocks pictured.
2. On the first day of each month, the person choosing the pattern will post the link to the pattern page and the name of the pattern on this thread.
3. You will make this block in your own colors or themed fabrics, because you will be keeping the blocks you make.
4. As soon as you finish the block, you can post pictures of your blocks here so everyone can see what you are doing and we can see the differences in the fabrics people are using for their quilts.

Here are 3 BOM quilts I have made from blocks chosen by people in my small quilt group the past 3 years.

This was made for my boyfriend for Christmas last year. I made all the blocks using all brown fabrics in my blocks. I put the 12 blocks around a panel I purchased at a quilt shop. I did not sash the 12 blocks, but added a small brown border around the panel to make it conform to the size of the blocks. Then I added a piano key border at the top and bottom to make it a rectangle instead of a square, and then added another border to make it larger.

I made this quilt in 2014 from the 12 blocks people chose. I used all blue and white fabrics from my stash (my mother's favorite colors). I sashed this quilt in blue with white corner stones and added a blue border.

In 2013, I used 1930s fabrics for all my blocks and added 8 more blocks I had previously made to make a larger quilt. This is one I have been finishing up for my UFO merit badge. LOL! I sashed the blocks with a multi-color dots pattern fabric and added a red with flowers print border.

I hope many of you will join in on this BOM. Please also let me know if you would be interested in choosing a block and I will assign you a month. I will start with the first post of a block on May 1.

Links to each month's blocks:
May 2016 - http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=73928
June 2016 - http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76029
July 2016 - http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76135
August 2016 - http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=77228
September 2016 - http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=77342
October 2016 - http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=77449
November 2016 - http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=77584

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Nov 03 2016 2:30:40 PM

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  6:19:55 PM  Show Profile
I am in!

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  6:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
WONderful, Denise Ann. So glad to have you join us. Would you be willing to choose a block for one month?

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Apr 13 2016 7:00:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  7:46:42 PM  Show Profile
Those quilts are beautiful, Linda. I especially love the bottom one, very Springy colors.
Please sign me up.
Yes I will choose one or more if needed. There are so many pretty ones on that web site.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  07:58:48 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Great - I hope we get quite a few farmgirls to join us in this BOM.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  09:05:36 AM  Show Profile
I am in PLEASE.And will be happy to pick a block.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  11:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome, Diana.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  12:15:03 PM  Show Profile
I would love to join in, but I've never made a quilt before. I'm a pretty experienced sewer with garments and home decor stuff. I really want to learn to quilt. What do you think, Linda, should I go for it?

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  12:30:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm in. However, please make me one of the last to choose a block. I still have to complete my heart fabric quilt. No other swaps (other than this one until finished).

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  12:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Amy - this would be a great way to start. Most quilt block patterns are just squares and triangles and combinations of the two. And there are very easy ways to do them all. They look complicated, but they are not. I can help you with that. If you have been sewing clothes and home decor, quilting will be a cinch. Just choose some fabrics you'd like to make a quilt out of or go scrappy. Mine will be scrappy.

Sounds great, Judith. Welcome.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  12:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
My little quilting group is in its 4th year, and this is one thing we keep carrying through - the BOMs. I am using MaryJane's Once Upon a Chicken fabrics for this year's BOMs. Here is what I have so far.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  6:18:06 PM  Show Profile
Ok, Linda, I'm going to go for it, and I'm super excited! Thanks so much!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  6:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Glad to have you join us, Amy.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2016 :  7:34:32 PM  Show Profile
Linda,
I would be happy to pick a block! But which one... what a dilemma!!

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

Christy925
True Blue Farmgirl

476 Posts

Christy
Midland Michigan
USA
476 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2016 :  04:13:14 AM  Show Profile
I would like to participate please. I'm currently finishing up a quilt for my husband, a Texas/Michigan Quilt and have a baby quilt in the works for my new granddaughter. My sewing skills have changed over the years, not as good as I used to be. I still love it. I may have to turn to machine quilting in order to finish everything.

Farmgirl Sister #2315
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WildThymeCreations?ref=pr_shop
https://www.flickr.com/photos/marketwoman45/albums
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2016 :  06:05:28 AM  Show Profile
Linda,
Those blocks are so cute.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

NikisMom
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Framingham MA
140 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  6:55:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda, I am a beginner quilter like Amy, but would love to participate. I am thinking this would be great for my vintage camper.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  9:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Julie and Christy - Glad to have you join us.

Julie - You can find lots of vintage camper fabric. I got a fat quarter of vintage type lawn/beach chairs today at JoAnns that would go with them.

Everyone - You can start collecting fabrics that you want to make your quilt with.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  10:12:04 PM  Show Profile
Linda, your quilts are beautiful. I can't do anything until I finish the 125th anniversary quilt for the Minnesota state parks. Then I want to start my vintage Farmgirls quilt.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2016 :  10:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like a neat quilt, Bonnie. What type of fabrics will you be using for the Farmgirls quilt?

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2016 :  07:12:48 AM  Show Profile
I have been wanting to do a BOM for a while but they are so expensive. Soooooo this sounds great for a scrap quilt. Please sign me up.

Donna Farmgirl Sister #1487

Wheather therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2016 :  07:33:49 AM  Show Profile
With everything going on in my life right now, adding one more thing to my life is not smart... so I'll say maybe :)

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2016 :  08:06:25 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds good, Shannon. The pattern links will be posted, so just join in when you can.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2016 :  08:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Gotcha, Donna!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

NikisMom
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Framingham MA
140 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2016 :  4:35:44 PM  Show Profile
Shopping for fabric, one of my favorite things to do. My fabric store had a large quilt fabric sale, need to get over there and start the hunt. As a beginner, suggestions for yardage?
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2016 :  6:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Yardage depends on how many different fabrics you plan to use. If you are going to make the 12 blocks, it will take at least 1 yard of 3-4 different fabrics, and you will probably have enough left over for a few more blocks. I usually make mine from my "collection" of fabrics and make them scrappy.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Starting a Block of the Month (BOM) Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page