Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2016 :  02:21:28 AM  Show Profile
I have a black thumb....seriously I kill everything.

I really want to be able to grow things. I can only have containers right now but hopefully next year we will be living somewhere where we can have an actual garden. But every time I invest in garden stuff or pots, soil and seeds/plants I kill them. My husband has had some success with tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers. I kill ivy and aloe vera in pots...I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

So my question is....is there a book (or website, or some other resource) that is very basic and explains exactly how to grow things for a complete novice (or a complete gardening failure)??? I have Square Foot Gardening and Your Backyard Homestead which are great resources but apparently I'm still missing something. I feel like there is some secret to growing things that I haven't been let in on lol.

Help! TIA

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6998 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6998 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2016 :  03:53:40 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina, I grow mostly in containers and what I have learned is to know how much water and light each plant needs. I have killed more plants by overwatering than any other reason. One of things that helps me is to label new plants with big letters so I can read without my glasses - "M" moist - "D" dry - so by poking my finger into the soil I can tell if that plant needs watering or not. Some plants just need to dry a little before watering - others need to be kept moist - rosemary just wants to be left along. I water my rosemary plants only during drought.

One of my favorite gardening books is 'The Kitchen Garden' by Sylvia Thompson.

Mostly vegetables with some herbs and flowers. At the back of the book are charts for each plant from planning, planting, watering, sunlight/shade, fertilizing, harvesting, etc. When I get a plant I have not had before I check her charts.

She also has info on container gardening for each plant if that plant can be successfully grown in a container.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2016 :  04:42:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara, that book sounds helpful! Yes I'm sure part of my problem is I over or under water and don't always have things in the right light but I do read the instructions and try to do what they say but somehow still mess it up. I kill things that are supposed to be impossible to kill!!!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  1:13:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sabrina,
Don't be discouraged, with some understanding of a few things I think you can do it! Is there something in particular you are wanting to grow?
I went to college for horticulture and I'll try and narrow it down. Plant needs vary depending on the type of plant it is, and so knowing all you can about your plants needs is important to know.

1. sun exposure- Sun exposure Is the area sunny or shady? How many hours of direct sun? Which way does your garden face? South? East? etc. The sun exposure is the first factor in what type of plants you can grow.
For example, a tomato plant needs at least 6 hrs of sun a day. If your plant were a hosta , it would need a partial shade spot.

2. soil requirements- Soil type- This is key. Certain plants can only grow in certain soils. When in doubt add at least 3" of compost to the bed. Purchase a bag of micro nutrients and add per instructions. This is a good basis for starting, but any further nutritional needs would be dependent on the individual plant itself. Some plants prefer alkaline soils while others acidic. Some soils need a sandier soil (or they would rot), some need a more richer soil. Always do a soil test before amending the soil. For example, your soil might be lacking in nitrogen and maybe that's all you'd need. A soil test would tell you that.

3. watering needs- Watering, yes this can be tricky as I've drowned plants myself. Again, understanding the specific needs of your plants is crucial. Keep notes, as I find it very helpful.
Maybe this will help, picture this: picture the roots in its container. Whenever the plant is watered, the root ball becomes wet and the air is displaced.....if we keep watering that plant without ever giving the roots a chance to dry out and get any air, they will turn brown, rot and die. Its literally drowning the plant. In the nurseries I've worked we had 2 ways of checking a plant for watering....1st, pick the pot up, does it feel very lightweight or is it heavy? Lightweight would indicate that the plant has dried out, versus the latter which would indicate that the root ball is still very wet. 2nd, stick your finger at least 1" deep into the soil, it is wet or dry?
Note: When you water, just water a little bit, because water doesn't have to run out of the bottom in order to give it enough. Less is more.

4. Feeding- Leafy plants need more nitrogen (which promotes that vegetative growth). Nitrogen is the 1st # on any fertilizer box (N-P-K). So for a hosta, you'd need a fertilizer with the 'N' number being bigger than the other 2 numbers.
For tomatoes, you want the fertilizer to have a higher 'P' number which stands for Phosphorus. Phosphorus encourages bud/flower growth. More buds, more tomatoes. The 'K' at the end of the N-P-K stands for Potassium, which encourages a strong root system. Strong roots, strong plant. A healthy plant has less health issues and attacked less by pests. While a product like miracle grow for example has an 'N-P-K- ratio of 10-10-10, that simply means it's a general balanced fertilizer, and that's okay, but personally for my own flowering plants, I feed an extra high phosphorous feed every 2 weeks during the growing season for that extra boost. Always follow the instructions, as again, more is not always better.
5. Drainage- Super important especially when growing in containers. Make sure they are at least 4-5 holes in the bottom. I use my drill to quickly pop a few holes into a container if need be. If the plant can't drain, it will rot.

Let's say you want to grow a flowering plants in a container:
• Get a good ready to use mix. (with slow release fertilizer is a bonus)
• If your plants are root bound, gently pull the roots apart or score them before planting them into their new container- this helps the roots to branch out.
• Set your plants as deep as they were in their original pots.
• Water in your plants a little. Here's why you don't water that new container in so much. Right now the roots are not taking up the whole pot (as they will by the end of summer). So this means you have mostly soil filling the pot right now. Overwatering that pot without the root capacity to use that water will result in those newly plants sitting in the wet soil and rotting. Fast forward to August, and those roots will have likely filled in, making it now okay to water that container until the water comes out of the bottom. In well established container plantings, I personally have to water twice a day when the temps rise into the 90's as containers dry out faster than a plant planted directly in the ground.

tip:
keeping a garden journal is very helpful. I highly recommend it.

I have quite the collection of gardening books and I think 'The Garden Primer' By Barabra Damrosch http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010SGRX0/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1would be excellent for you.

Barabra Damrosch's husband is Eliot Coleman (he's in the videos with her), and I have books by both of them, and they are excellent. Aside from my college books, they have some of the best horticulture books I've come across.

Also, you can find their videos on youtube from a tv show they had on 20 years ago. I was so obsessed with that show, I use to sit in front of it and take notes. https://www.youtube.com/user/blockguru/videos?nohtml5=False

I hope this helps.
Connie

http://www.naturemaiden.com/ Handcrafted Soap & Candles
http://saratoga-rose.blogspot.com/ My published books & other writing.
http://modern-day-laura.blogspot.com/ Filled with everything I love!
http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/ Vintage Sewing Machine Parts

Edited by - naturemaiden on Apr 12 2016 1:16:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2016 :  6:27:44 PM  Show Profile
When I first got plants, I would kill a cactus by overwatering it. Then I killed one by not watering it enough. Over the years, I have learned....mostly by trial and error. I have also done a lot of reading, and most importantly, I talked to people who grew things successfully. A green thumb is something you cultivate. Give yourself time and patience. Call your local extension office for advice on growing plants in your area. Those Master Gardeners know a lot. Good luck!
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7039 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7039 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  11:24:24 AM  Show Profile
This is a good question, Sabrina. I am worried about it this year with my garden. Thanks for the wonderful tips ladies. I will be keeping all this in mind as I work on my garden! I will also have to get me some of those books.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

KristiW
Moderator/Farmgirl True

639 Posts

Kristine
MaryJanesFarm
USA
639 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2016 :  3:38:06 PM  Show Profile
I think Connie covered all the bases with her spot-on advice. It really does take practice, just like anything else we might want to master. Try not to be discouraged

Kristi
Farmgirl Sister #6

Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2016 :  2:08:42 PM  Show Profile
I recommend "The Bountiful Container" and "Small Space Container Gardens" (Fern Richardson) for container gardening and "Perenial Vegetables" or "Roots, Shoots, Buckets, and Boots" for traditional gardening-or a book that is specific to your region/soil. This is my first year with a traditional garden and I've found my containers easier so far!

Try a few grow boxes for veggies and some plain terra cotta for herbs like oregano. The grow boxes are a bit of an investment up front, so if money is an issue, I'd research some "self-watering container" DIY instructions. If you can do the upfront cost though, I'd invest in them. They're self-watering, mulching, and fertilizing. All you have to do is check the reservoirs, buy the potting mix, and plant the plants or seeds.

When using potting mix, water and fertilizing is the most important for containers. I use a commercial poultry manure fertilizer and liquid kelp/fish emulsion for pots. I'm in the Deep South with 110 degree summers, so it's hard to overwater here, but I have killed indoor aloe Vera by overwatering!

Don't give up! I began my first gardening experience with a shallow, glazed pot that I planted with lavender, parsley, and rosemary seedlings. Now, I'm growing 4 types of small tomatoes, two types of eggplant, tons of different herbs, summer squash, peppers, fruits, and cucumbers. If you didn't grow up with gardening, books and learning by experience are the best ways to get better at it!

Seriously though, the "Bountiful Conatiners" book is one of my favorite non-fiction books. It gives information on what to start from seed, or not, best pots for different plants (herbs, veggies, fruits, and edible flowers) container "gardens" that compliment each other, and even recipes to help you enjoy your harvests! Good luck!

“If more of us valued good food and cheer above hoards of gold, it would be a merrier world." - Tolkien

http://myfrenchreligion.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2016 :  08:20:14 AM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone these tips are awesome!! I will definitely be looking up all these books!! We move in the winter so I don't really want to put a lot of money into containers and stuff this year (we are moving overseas we can technically move planters but we have to make sure there is no trace of soil on them). We don't know yet where we will be moving so when I find that out I can do more research on what grows well in that zone/soil and find out if the extension office has any sort of program and resources that would help. But I'd love to get a head start on knowledge. We would like to have a traditional in-ground garden when we move but I will probably also do some things in pots, some indoors and out maybe even a greenhouse. I also have the Square Foot Gardening book which I like the idea of we just haven't ever really been able to make it work so we may try that for some things or a variation on that.

Thanks for all the tips! Feel free to add more :) I'm going to copy and paste some of this into a document so I don't loose it!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

Pixiedustdevil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Temperate Rainforest Oregon
USA
68 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  6:23:27 PM  Show Profile
If you're trying to grow stuff outside, or have a vegetable garden; I would recommend this book: The Vegetable Gardeners Bible by Edward Smith.

----------------------
Sisterhood #6941

Jack of all trades, master of none,
though oftentimes better than master of one.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 06 2016 :  8:27:57 PM  Show Profile
Sabrina,,, where are you? are you still in Germany? and if so, where...(town/Base)
There are so many 'Garden Centers' in Germany.. and are very helpful with gardening advice for the community...and most likely you will be able to find someone who speaks English.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardening for dummies? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page