Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Starting my straw bale garden Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  10:07:57 PM  Show Profile
I have eight bales to start with. My uncle picked them up for me and delivered them since he has a truck. I sprinkled fertilizer on them today and will let the rain we're getting water them. It is supposed to rain hard, which will help get the fertilizer down into the bales. It takes about two weeks to prep them. I am going by an article in The Herb Quarterly. I will be growing beans, beets, carrots, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes and peppers and two herbs. Well, actually several herbs as I'm growing two types of basil. I will also be growing things in pots since I can't dig cause of my shoulder. I have tomato and pepper seedlings under a grow light. I want to get the garden started by the end of March. The tomatoes and peppers will be transplanted probably in May. I also removed the last of last year's netting from my blackberry brambles (a frustrating task). The netting keeps the birds off but it is hard to remove. I just kept cutting at it with my scissors.
Has anyone else done a straw bale garden? I have heard people had good results with them. This is the biggest garden I've attempted so far so I hope for the best. All the seeds I'm using are non-GMO.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2016 :  12:27:18 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, yes, my hubby and I put hay down on the garden floor. The birds love it, too. They come in and take many pieces for their nests.
We used to put netting around our tomato plants, but stopped. We were constantly getting caught in the netting. Now I hang old RED Christmas balls on the tomato plants. The birds try to peck at them and get rather upset. They tend to leave the tomato plants alone now. Of course, this years birds may be different. LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2016 :  11:01:58 AM  Show Profile
My friend, Coni did this type of gardening last year with great success... once she fenced it off with 'rabbit' fencing to keep the above ground critters out... lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Starting my straw bale garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page