HoneyForVinegar
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Brooke
San Marcos Texas
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  08:41:11 AM  Show Profile
Anybody here into aquaponic gardening? I just got my system built and running this past March, and it's been about six months now and I can honestly say I'm blown away. The premise of aquaponics is that it's a closed system. You have a tank of fish that you feed (either through pellets or algae or grown food like duckweed) and their waste is converted by bacteria into nitrogen, which then feeds your plants, that then filter the water and reoxygenate it for the fish. So you don't need any fertilizer, and because the water is pumped in with a flood and drain system each hour, there's absolutely no competition for nutrients. They all get the same amount of access. So you can plant twice as densely with half of the spacing. Oh, and it uses 90% less water than conventional gardening. I top off my tank maybe once a week (more during the super hot Texas summer months) for evaporation and what the plants take in. It's like a jungle in there!

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  08:53:26 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I were just discussing raising rainbow trout last night =) We've never discussed it before, so it's funny to find your post this morning. Our area can be rather arid at times, so reusing the water in an aquaponic greenhouse makes a lot of sense here. We'll be looking into this more in the near future as we move towards buying property of our own.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  09:27:19 AM  Show Profile
A good friend of ours is into aquaponics. He ran into a problem here, though, because, apparently, in PA, it's illegal to grow tilapia. They want you to grow only native fish, and I can't remember for sure, but I think he said it's highly regulated as to what he is and is not allowed to do. We haven't seen him since last winter, so I'm not sure exactly what he ended up doing; however, his girlfriend and I are in contact and a few months back she told me he is growing the most amazing tomatoes indoors. His only problem was that they weren't ripening, and he couldn't figure out what to do. I told him to wrap the fruit in small brown bags, that it's not only the sun that helps ripening, but also the gases given off. I haven't spoken with her in a while, but I'll ask her what she ended up doing. ANYHOW, I really think aquaponics is a brilliant system! I wish you all the best with it, Brooke! Please keep us updated! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

www.papercraftingwithnini.ctmh.com

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

HoneyForVinegar
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Brooke
San Marcos Texas
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  6:54:11 PM  Show Profile
Ninibini I actually use koi and goldfish in my system because I'm not much of a fish eater. It works just the same as the tilapia or catfish (you can even do freshwater lobster or crayfish) but you don't have to replace them when you eat them.

Go to Top of Page

HoneyForVinegar
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Brooke
San Marcos Texas
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  6:56:41 PM  Show Profile
[ URL="https://instagram.com/p/7adp6BAhPO/?taken-by=honeyforvinegar>" ][ IMG ]<https://instagram.com/p/7adp6BAhPO/?taken-by=honeyforvinegar>[ /IMG ][ /URL ]

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2016 :  12:29:12 AM  Show Profile
Do you have your set up in a green house, a barn, under a porch or in your home?

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.
www.etsy.com/shop/
anniemayme
Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  3:44:23 PM  Show Profile
My son has been talking about doing this. Is this something you have set up in an enclosed area? What are you growing in yours?

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2016 :  1:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
My sister's grandson and his wife were doing that here, raising tilapia. It was going okay for the most part, but they seemed to have a problem in the winter keeping the tanks warm enough. They have since moved to Colorado Springs, so I don't know how things are going!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  11:51:56 AM  Show Profile
I've been intrigued by the idea of having a system at our home for years. Now that I'm a vegan, I love the idea of using goldfish/koi! What resources did you use to get started? I'm all about following a "recipe" to learn from the wisdom of those who have become successful. Sometime in the next few years, a light rail system is going to force us of our property. Maybe if I invest and get a system going, it will speed up the process! We're so very tired of having this hanging over our heads. HoneyForVinegar, I looked at your instagram photos - beautiful!

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Aquaponics Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page