katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  2:42:27 PM  Show Profile
So,,, what does your local Hardware store carry?
here is a glimps of our little local True Value store.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6917 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6917 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  2:51:53 PM  Show Profile
One of our hardware stores has been here for generations. No computerized cash register - they write the ticket out by hand. The clerks know the inventory by memory and the store is really several storefronts that run into each other. It's dark and airless in there; the old wooden floor is un-even, but they have whatever you are looking for. The last time I was in there I bought a 4 cup glass measuring cup made in USA and my sister got the nuts & bolts she needed.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  3:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We have two hardware stores, both family owned. One is Slavens (that is the family name) True Value and has been in business for over 50 years and they carry EVERYTHING!!!! Original building with some add-ons, but you can get building supplies down to canning supplies and Christmas decorations.
Choice Building is the Ace store and is also family owned. They have just about everything, not so much household stuff as they other one but they also carry some RV items.
They're both great!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  6:18:37 PM  Show Profile
oh Cj... yep, our True Value also carries RV stuff, and even some 'CarHartt' clothing... and 1 Sunday out of the month they have a 'Garden' class, free to the public... Like a Fairy Garden class,,, container gardening, Fertilizing,,, drought tolerant plants... etc..
Oh, and they even have a "Dollar" section... like a Dollar type store...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  11:08:47 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful picture, Grace. I love the carved horse.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  7:52:31 PM  Show Profile
We have a family owned Tru Value Hardware and besides giving great service, they rent all kinds of things for parties such as tents, popcorn machines, snowcone makes, a dunking booth--I like the service at this store and they go out of their way to help you. they will sell you something cheaper if they think it's better.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2016 :  2:51:03 PM  Show Profile
We have an Ace Hardware here that was family owned for many years, but an employee bought it recently. He is a wealth of info. From what product works the best to who to hire to get a job done, hes got the answer. And if he doesn't know, he'll tell you who to call. Really good guy. They sell a little bit of everything, including plants and flowers in the spring to Christmas trees in winter. Free popcorn while you shop and Good Humor ice cream treats in the cooler for sale. Love it!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Edited by - sjmjgirl on Mar 06 2016 2:54:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2016 :  7:57:44 PM  Show Profile
I miss the old hardware stores where you could buy one nail or get things fixed. Too many chains taking over. If we had a family owned one I would surely shop there.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7484 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7484 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2016 :  8:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
We don't have a hardware store in town here (population 598) - there are several within 50 miles. In one town about 35 miles from here the old hardware store still has the old bins of nuts, bolts, screws, and nails, but they are now also a deli/restaurant. Good food, too. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2016 :  05:19:02 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday, I was in our local Ace Hardware store not far from my house. It is a small place and has been owned by many families over the years. I love that place! Yesterday, I was in for a few yard work supplies and they had a big water trough filled with hay and sweet peeping chicks. Ohhh, how I wanted me a few to take home. They are getting bigger now and starting to get a few feathers and need homes. I loved hearing their sweet gentle Peeps!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2016 :  08:51:08 AM  Show Profile
oh how I love those 'nail bins',,, where you can by nails by the oz/lb... so if you only needed 14 '6-penny' nails,, you put them in the little brown paper sac, they are weighed and that is what you pay... unlike big box stores where you have to buy a $5 box of nails when you only need 14... lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Hardware Stores... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page