elah
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Emily
SW Michigan
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2006 :  1:11:08 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering what your favorite companies are to order seed from for your garden and why. I'm excited about hopefully having a large garden this year and was wanting to start browsing (dreaming)to see what I would want to plant this first year. While I wait for our house to sell.

Thanks!

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2006 :  2:31:06 PM  Show Profile
www.territorial-seed.com is one of my favorites... and as it's a Northwest company, rather than southern, it might do well for you... I also like www.seedsavers.org which, like territorial, is somewhat organic. For me in the humid, hot summers, I also like Park seed, which seems more geared to hot climates. I also have special seeds I always get from www.reneesgarden.com. Renee doesn't have a mail catalog, but the others all do. Isn't it FUN to plot and plan for the garden?

Ann

There is a Redeemer.

Edited by - Phils Ann on Dec 24 2006 2:37:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2006 :  4:16:09 PM  Show Profile
While I have gotten Territorial seeds mainly because we sold them at the nursery I worked for, I usually buy my seeds from Johnnys in Maine. I figure if they can grow in Maine with their short growing season then they will grow here. The are organic and they germanate well and I just like them. Renee's I believe has wonderful sweet peas. From Johnnys I just buy veggie seeds. I used to buy my herbs there but I found a wonderful farm in Stanwood and buy starts from there. They are all organic. Their farm name is RentsDueRanch, I don't thinnk they have a web site right now. I check into it. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Dec 24 2006 4:35:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2006 :  03:32:01 AM  Show Profile
I buy 99% of my seed from Fedco. Fedco is a co-op. The folks who work there are farmers, gardeners and homesteaders who have real vested interest in the company. The prices are very low and get lower with discounts. They don't do business with Monsanto/Seminis, are socially conscious and offer organic and sustainably grown seeds. www.fedcoseeds.com The catalog is fantastic. It's great reading.

I buy a few things from Johnny's but find them expensive when ordering enough seed to plant an acre and fill a greenhouse full of seedlings. I usually avoid businesses that support Monsanto/Seminis but they're a Maine company and I own a Maine business, and they're fast when I realize that I've run out of seeds for something I really need. They carry Eliot Coleman's tools, which make my work easier. Johnny's offers some organic seeds. They do a lot of research on their farm. www.johnnyseeds.com

I also like High Mowing Seeds. www.highmowingseeds.com They're a small family-owned business. As of this year they're 100% organic. They work with school gardens by supplying free seeds, teach on their farm and are just plain nice people.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Seed Company Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page