Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Safe nail polish Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  09:26:59 AM  Show Profile
I personally have not worn nail polish in years, just because it's too tedious to take care of and the fact that I handwash my dishes and don't like wearing rubber gloves to do so, and often times will garden without gloves, ... so the maintenance/return thing just doesn't add up.

That being said, for those who do like to wear nail polish regularly or occasionally to dress up with, here's a blurb from today's paper regarding a new, safer nail polish that's now on the market. I think it's mainly carried in salons/spas; however, I did a quick search and found it listed at Amazon, so that might be an option too... Who knows.... maybe I'll give it a go when I'm feeling the urge to "dress up"!

Playing it safe with nail polish

Zoya "Spring Sensations" nail colors are a healthy alternative for pretty feet and hands. Zoya nail lacquers don't contain formaldehyde, toluene or dibutylphthalate (DBP) -- ingredients that have generated cautions and warnings from the National Cancer Institute.

They're even safe for women who are pregnant. They come in about 70 colors (pale to bright) and wear extremely well. Price: $6-$7.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  10:45:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip, Clare! I love pedicures and I am always looking for safer alternatives!
Go to Top of Page

polly625
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

2 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2005 :  8:41:02 PM  Show Profile
There is an great polish out right now called Acquarella. It is totally water-based, non-toxic and safe enough to drink. I put it on my 2 year old and he loves it. It dries super quick, so I don't have to worry about him getting on something. It doesn't contain any chemicals that will harm you, your kids or the environment. What even better is that they have a non-toxic water-based remover too. And all of the products have basically no odor. What a bonus. You can get it online at their store www.acquarellapolish.com. Try it out, it's great.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2005 :  08:45:20 AM  Show Profile
Here is another polish some may want to try. It's water based with no harsh chemicals and says that it can be removed with just rubbing alcohol. I don't know, I've never tried it but sounds kinda neat. The website is www.bewellstaywell.com and go to the Honeybee collection. They have some pretty colors.
Go to Top of Page

polly625
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

2 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2005 :  1:40:51 PM  Show Profile
I've tried the honeybee and it's not very shiny, and kind of goopy. Plus rubbing alcohol doesn't metabolize out of your system very well and can cause all kinds of problems health wise.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  4:14:46 PM  Show Profile
Well good to know, now I won't be tempted to buy them. I know alcohol isn't the best but I was thinking it's got to be better than the acetone in other brands. Oh well, if the polishes are goopy then won't worry about it, lol Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Safe nail polish Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page