Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Ideas for binding a book...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Ideas for binding a book... Next Topic  

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  12:24:17 PM  Show Profile
Hello Farmgirls!

I want to make a last-minute Christmas gift for Jackson and thought up a wonderful idea, but don't know how to execute it. I have a set of vintage-styled ABC cards that are for hanging on the wall - heavier cardstock. I was thinking that I could punch holes in the cards and "bind" them together like a book with ribbon, shoelaces, string, or something like that. They're pretty large, about 8.5x11.

I know how to bind regular books (like blank paper journals), but am not sure of the best binding to use for just single cards. Normally, you'd have "signatures" of folded sheets of paper together for a book and the binding goes through the crease, but these single pieces of cardstock won't have the crease to use. So the binding would have to be more of a braided type thing...

Any thoughts on a cute way to bind these cards together? I can do three-holes like a regular piece of paper or more holes if the binding needs more for braiding.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  5:17:39 PM  Show Profile
Here's a thought since time is running short...Like you, I have done the book binding with the signatures, etc. Since these are heavier cardstock, you could get three individual rings and put them together as if they were in a three ring binder. The portion of the rings that show could be filled with beads or wrapped with thread. Make colorful front and back covers and POOF - a book. Plus, it would have the ability to open completely without damaging the pages.

Sandy in Missouri

I'm at that age where I need my own warning label!
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  09:01:38 AM  Show Profile
I thought about this for a while and I'd probably just use rings too. Maybe smaller ones, so that they aren't too loose. Depending on how thick the cardstock is though you might want to reinforce the holes.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  12:57:27 PM  Show Profile
I think the ring sounds neat to, you could do them like a flip chart with only two at the top or one at the corner. Reinforcing would be great, you could probably even find those rings in neat colors. Or put them all three ring binder and decorate it up nicely for him.
I will look forward to seeing the finished item.
peapodjane
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Ideas for binding a book... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page