Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Favorite Flowers Next Topic  

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  06:55:29 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Just wondering what you all love to grow. I find that as I enter the Autumn of my life, the beautiful things are so...much more beautiful! I planted hollyhocks this year. Not from seed but bought the plants. I have set out 12. The most sad, pitiful little plant has buds!!! He is trying so hard! They maybe my favorite flower of all...but I also love geraniums - all colors! And zinnas, poppies - OH I LOVE POPPIES!!!

Just curious what all you other farmgirls grow!

Have a wonderful day!

Blessings & Bliss!.· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-~Susan~
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Wife, Mother, Natural Woman, Savonnière, Writer, Baker, Gardener.
Soulmate to Jerry for 30 years
Mom to Zach, Gesikah, Nathan, Hannah, Rachel and Benjamin
Yetta to Sam

"It's no bad thing to celebrate a simple life" ~ Bilbo Baggins

If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you need to seriously re-examine your life.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  07:20:42 AM  Show Profile
I love HollyHocks and Columbines and lilies of the valley and violets..but my all time favorite flowers are for sure Sweet peas!!! I just could have them everywhere!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  08:57:14 AM  Show Profile
I can't say I have a favorite, I just love them all , the more the merrier. Fragrant flowers are so wonderful and pretty colorful summer annuals are delightful. Perrenials are so special to come back year after year even when I do not take proper care of them! My yard fairly sings with beauty and intoxicating smells right now. Later on when it is very hot and most perrenials have finished I love the blanket flowers for filling in the gaps and the pretty foilage of the smoke bush and japanese maples.
eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  10:55:35 AM  Show Profile
I don't know that I can name a favorite! I love perrenials. I have pansies, geraniums, sunflowers, dianthus, bachelor's buttons, crocuses, irises, tulips, clematis, marigolds, on and on. I do love petunias and tend to go crazy planting them because they have such vibrant colors and fill an area nicely. I am always looking for new flowers to plant. Oh, I did get a lovely hydrangea for Mother's Day and that is a favorite. Flowers make me happy!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  10:56:14 AM  Show Profile
I love the fragrant flowers - Tea Olive, Gardenia, Honeysuckle and Confederate Jasmine. Then sometimes I just love to see the beauty of a Lily, a Hydrangea, or a huge white Magnolia. But my sentimental favorite is what my mama grew along the fence in our back yard - Lily of the Valley.

How could anyone have a favorite of what God has made? So many choices!
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  11:27:48 AM  Show Profile
Roses of any color or kind, Sunflowers because they are cheerful and follow the sun's path across the sky, and White Orchids, which I carried in my wedding bouquet.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Jacqueline
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Jacqueline
Burbank CA
USA
26 Posts

Posted - May 26 2005 :  9:11:06 PM  Show Profile
I love the plants that grow well here where we are always in drought--some are native, some not. Roses, lavender, jasmine, sage, malva, hydragea, daisies, sweet peas, wisteria...oh the list goes on and on.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 27 2005 :  06:59:31 AM  Show Profile
I have to pick a favorite flower???? That's like picking your favorite child!!! I love all flowers!!! They are all different and all add something spcecial to my garden. Guess I'm a wuss, but I just can't pick!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 27 2005 :  08:42:00 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you Clare, I haven't met a flower yet I didn't like! There is a place for everything and I like to see what will grow and do well here. I tend to have an english garden approach to planting so there is always room to squeeze in another. I love the continuous bloom of annuals but partial to perrenials because they give and give and then you can divide them and share. I look forward to each season of them ,the long awaited return of old friends.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 27 2005 :  08:52:31 AM  Show Profile
Bramble, we could be gardening buds! I have the exact same approach to gardening. To bad we don't live closer - then we could share our divisions of plants...

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 27 2005 :  5:24:00 PM  Show Profile
I have some great irises that need dividing, bet I could send you some...are you game?!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 27 2005 :  6:06:14 PM  Show Profile
Sure Bramble! Email me with details...

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 27 2005 :  7:29:58 PM  Show Profile
I also love prairie wildflowers. My hay field was full of them. Violet smelling blossoms of the alfalfa, soft yellow prairie daisies, white prairie chamomile, and purple thistle flowers, like the Scottish national flower only they are a dreaded weed here. My Brother in Law swathed our hay fields yesterday. The fragrance of new mown hay is heavenly. I walked in the pasture last evening and picked up a bunch of the grasses and smelled them...so fresh and clean and earthy. I am proud to say our cattle feed on these clean and organic grasses. I was reminded of the book by Gene Logdson called All Flesh Is Grass highlighted in MJ's book. We are interdependant on the grass of the earth.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 28 2005 :  08:09:13 AM  Show Profile
Clare- I am experiencing some difficulty being able to log in and access your email through MJF. I will have to troubleshoot today and see what's wrong. You can email me and I can answer you externally if that's ok.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 28 2005 :  11:14:16 AM  Show Profile
Hello Bramble... well, my home computer is funky in that I have so many pop-up blocker things activated that I cannot email anyone on that form from home... since that is a pop-up box that comes up for us to do that. I will be able to do it on Tuesday at work.... Enjoy your holiday!

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2005 :  5:52:41 PM  Show Profile
Hydrangea & tulips

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  3:02:03 PM  Show Profile
Iya, What a beautiful name! And named after such a beautiful flower!

Go to Top of Page

sweetpea
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Kelley
Oxnard California
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  11:19:01 AM  Show Profile
How could anyone pick a favorite flower?? I just seem to love them all but if I had to pick favorites: sweetpeas, hollyhocks, stock, hydrangeas, roses, delphiniums....oh forget it, the list would go on forever...
LOVE them all!
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Young
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cindy
Allendale MI
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  12:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm...favorite flowers? There are so many, it's hard to choose. One of my current favorites is a shrub rose called "Jens Monk". It blooms from mid-spring to the first frost...IF you are diligent to dead head. Mine must have 100 blooms on it, with 200 more buds. Also, a strange perennial called Valerian. It blooms in mid spring, is quite tall, and smells kind of funky, like sweet cat pee. I have grown it for years, and it re-seeds readily. And my favorite "fill-in-the-blank-spots" perennial, Feverfew. It blooms nearly all summer, re-seeds everywhere, has the cutest little white flowers all over it, and you can hoik it out if you don't like where it came up this year. I have it everywhere, and love it. Also great as a cut flower. My perennial Sweet Peas have taken over the trellis, and it is going to need some serious support real soon! Oh, and there is Cosmos, and beautiful pink poppies, and peonies, and honeysuckle (a particular favorite of hummingbirds!!),and lilacs, and Lily of the Valley...oh my gosh, there is not enough room or time to go on!!! June in Michigan is intoxicating!!!
Blessings,
Cindy

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2Timothy 4:7
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  10:58:59 AM  Show Profile
I have so many favorite flowers because I love them all but I just recently have become more interested in Iris. I meet a lady that is around 75 and has been raising iris for years and she told me so many things about them that i didn't know. She and I both know the man that originally had the Sweet Lena iris. He used to live very close to me. So I guess right now Iris are my favorite flower

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Favorite Flowers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page