Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Recipes for gift giving or a snowy day celebration
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Recipes for gift giving or a snowy day celebration Next Topic  

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  05:35:26 AM  Show Profile
WINTER WONDER COCOA

Combine:
7 cups or 7 envelopes (3.2 oz) non fat dry milk
1 pound confectionary (powdered) sugar
2 cups cocoa, sifted
2 cups non-dairy creamer
2 cups (or more!) mini-marshmallows
1 cup mini chocolate chips

To Make:
Stir 1/3-1/2 cup mix with 1 cup boiling water in mug until drink is well mixed and chocolate chips begin to melt.

For those of you who enjoy Chai Tea, make your own that rivals the bext mixes and drink offerd in the tea and coffee parlors

INDIA CHAI TEA
Combine in a saucepan:
4-6 tea bags (I use decaf tea bags, personally)
1 quart of water
6 cloves
6 cardamon seed pods
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 star anise
2 cups milk
1/2 cup honey or sugar or to taste

Bring to a slow simmer and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain. Adjust milk and honey to taste if necessary.

Both of these go great with Cardamon Almond Biscotti

CARDAMON ALMOND BISCOTTI

Ingredients:
1 cup softened butter (no substitutes)
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons almond extract
5 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cardamon
1 cup sour cream
1 cup chopped almonds

Cream the butter and sugar. (I use a standing mixer for this recipe.) Add the eggs one at a time. Beat in the almond extract. Combine the dry ingredients. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Fold in the chopped almonds. Divide the dough into fourths. Shape each into a 15" log and place on individual buttered/greased cookie sheets. Bake one at a time at 350 for 30 minutes (I have two sheets that can slide side by side in the large oven so I bake two at a time.) Then, cut diagonaly each log into 3/4" slices. Place cut sides down on cookie sheets and bake again for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. You may eat as is or coat one cut side with melted dark chocolate. (I use the bittersweet chocolate chips from Ghirdelli, melted in a double boiler on stove top. Then, I quick freeze them to set the chocolate before storing them.) Store for about a month (if you can space it out that long!) at room temperature in a covered, airtight container.

Country girl in NE PA

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  05:54:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recipes! I've got Chai Tea and Biscotti on my must-do list this week -- the tea for me and the biscotti for mini-gifties for my bros and sis.

The hot chocolate sounds yummy, too. Similar to one I found that also had chili powder in it -- that one I'm going to try BEFORE I make a batch for gifts. I want to be sure it's not lethal!

It's a rainy day here already and a good one for cooking up gifts in the kitchen.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  06:24:55 AM  Show Profile
I was just writing on another thread that I LOVE chai! Yummy Thanks Clare

O, Come let us adore HIM! www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  07:40:52 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Clare thanks for these- I am going to do the biscotti for sure. I have made a similar cocoa but add ground instant coffee to this and its a cappuccino. Time to fire up the stove and get cooking! Happy Holidays all!

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Recipes for gift giving or a snowy day celebration Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page