junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  12:47:08 PM  Show Profile
It wont' be long before someone in your family will get a gift they either don't like or alreay have and in some cases, you just can't take it back. So, I was wondering who has re-gifted and why? Is it ok or not? I personally did it once, it was a nice perfume collection I already had and a birthday was right around the corner, so I used it, they loved it and all was happy. All too many times I see unwanted gifts end up at yard sales, so I'd rather re-gift sometimes. What do you all think?

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
And my new food blog at: www.homesteadblogger.com/gardencafe

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  12:57:14 PM  Show Profile
I do it and feel no shame. (shameless gal that I am..ha)

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  1:00:04 PM  Show Profile
I do it too...generally with perfumes, store bought bath sets and the like.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  1:35:53 PM  Show Profile
Re-gift all the way, baby! Here's why:

1. If I already have it, don't like it, or don't want it, then I DON'T want it in my house. I'm very anti-clutter!

2. Saves me money!

3. Reduce, reuse, recycle!

I almost always come clean and tell the person that it's a re-gift and then throw in a little something handmade (like a dishcloth or something) so they don't think that I didn't go to ANY effort for them.

Catherine :)

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  2:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
This re-gifting sounds great, but it would never work for me...my circle is so small I'd get caught! If I get something I don't like, I donate it to the my favorite thrift store.

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  2:37:04 PM  Show Profile
I have no problem re-gifting, but I always tell that person I'm passing it on, and I don't use it for an occasion like a birthday or something. I tell them I got it from so-and-so, and it's not me or whatever, and would they like it?

I have a friend that's a horrid re-gifter. She gets gifts and stuffs them in a closet, and then when there's an occasion she just passes stuff out. It's often totally inappropriate, or poorly thought out. And once she gave me something I had given her the year before!

The problem with re-gifters like her is you get the feeling that you're just not worth the trouble of choosing an appropriate or well thought out gift. I decided to pass on giving her something this year; I don't want to get it back in '07.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  2:45:43 PM  Show Profile
I re-gift now and then, but not often..and like Catherine said..I always add a little something handmade so I don't feel guilty. My sis in law and I re-gift to each other happily and knowingly all the time. (but that is for sure different..we talk it over and do trades sort of!)
I won't regift a fruitcake. Yikes. If I can't stand them I won't gift them to someone else.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  3:23:47 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny, have you ever had a real fruitcake?

My mom used to make these wonderful ones with dried (not candied) fruits and nuts, and they were so rich they would basically have barely enough buttery batter to hold the fruit and nuts together! After they were baked, they were wrapped in cheesecloth and placed in a tin, and brandy was ladled on each day. They were lovely, and I really miss them.

One of these days, I'm going to make some too.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  3:54:51 PM  Show Profile
I always add homemade items too, and other store bought goodies or baked goods.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  3:58:32 PM  Show Profile
I re-gift & thrift-gift, with no shame

I totally agree with Catherine on these

1. If I already have it, don't like it, or don't want it, then I DON'T want it in my house. I'm very anti-clutter!

2. Saves me money!

3. Reduce, reuse, recycle!

Also my friends and family know I am the queen of thrift, so it doesn't suprise them if their gift ws thrift, they love it the same :)

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  4:41:30 PM  Show Profile
I regift if it is something brand new, unopened and I think it might suit the recipient. Like a Yankee candle I don't like the scent of.

I thrift gift swap with a couple friends because it's almost like a challenge to find the best gift at the thrift. I just got 2 ceramic snowmen that match one my friend has. She will be so surprised because she always regretted not getting the others that went with it! They have found Snowbabies for me before!

I really like to think about gifts for each person I am giving to and don't like to receive weird things that are obviously chosen with little thought. Remember my wax paper and embossing tool? I still wonder what my SIL was drinking when she ordered THAT from Williams -Sonoma! Just weird!

PS...I have NOT regifted the waxpaper /embossing duo. No one should have to suffer twice!!!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  4:47:28 PM  Show Profile
Mary Ann..I would no doubt LOVE that sort of fruitcake..never lucky enough to try one. It is those nasty candied citron bits that I hate the most.
My husband came home today with a nice Remington knife set from his boss and is re-gifting it to his brother. We have a $10 limit and this is much nicer than that...but husband has 84,000 knives already (including an identical set) and his brother will love this set! So I guess we are re-gifting this year. His brother lives in CAlif and has never met the boss so I think it is a safe re-gift..hehee

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  03:34:14 AM  Show Profile
I have no problem re-gifting. Most often I give things to one of two families I know that sometimes have trouble making ends meet if I think the item will be useful or wanted by them or their children.

O, Come let us adore HIM! www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  05:43:32 AM  Show Profile
I feel better now knowing I'm in good company on this one! lol I just hate to see something not being used, esp. if someone else might like it or can use it. I agree with all of you and thanks for your input! Farmgirls are thrifty and I've never seen the harm in it, expect in the case of MaryAnn, yikes! And Tina, I like your style, shameless!! But I must come to the defense of fruitcake here, I agree with Aunt Jenny, those cheap versions are NOT fruit cake, but tasteless knockoffs. The real deal like MaryAnn talks about is to die for!!! I remember my Mom making those when I was little, not every year, they get pricey, but oh so worth it!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
And my new food blog at: www.homesteadblogger.com/gardencafe
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  05:48:59 AM  Show Profile
I like to regift, but I am with some that I like to just hand out or add a homemade item to a regift item. I am facing this right now with a lovely pack of scented candles I just received from my neighbor. I will save for a lift for a secret sister or a pick me up for my SIL or friend.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  07:11:10 AM  Show Profile
My mom used to make those wonderful fruitcakes too. I could never understand why people make disparaging jokes about fruitcake gifts (doorstops, etc) But then I tried a storebought one. YUCK! I get it now...

I regift, but usually only to acquaintances rather than close friends. The kind of gifts that you might pick up at the store just to have on hand in case you need to bring one to a holiday party. Usually that's how I got the gift in the first place, so I'm just passing it on in new wrapping paper. I sometimes wonder about where they end up...seems like someone could make an amusing little picture book.
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  08:18:35 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I have re-gifted before, usually something that I would not use or just isn't me. This year everything I give is made by me, with the exception of a few things for the kids cause I haven't figured out how to make a cordless mouse yet- but give me time and I will! I have canned goodies, sewn things and created many gifts especially for each person. One of the best gifts I have given though was the Farmgirl Connection Cookbook, outstanding ladies!!!!!

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  08:44:27 AM  Show Profile
I regift too. I try to do it only if I know they would like it. And, I don't mind if I give someone something and they regift it to someone else.
I'm really lucky with my family-we're all about food gifts-those do not get regifted. Hum-can't wait to get the fudge my sis makes-yummy stuff!
Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  11:40:53 AM  Show Profile
Glad to find myself in such good company...once again! I think regifting is a good idea and have done it myself, but only when I truly think the person would enjoy the item.....actually, I think I was regifted by a close friend the other day! I also thought what a cool idea it would be to thrift gift, with my girlfriends, if we could find something that'd be appreciated. Heck, I'd take a great treasure that was snatched outta the garbage, for that matter! If we remember that it is the thought that counts, our feelings won't be too tread upon. Have a great day, gals. Nance
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  11:41:11 AM  Show Profile
I re-gift certain things. My husband got some gift cards from his employer and we usually re-gift those. It helps to save money. I'm proud to say that I did all of my Christmas shopping - didn't do much -- without going to a mall or fighting crowds. Made most everything and the rest I ordered online. Did have to get a gift card for my MIL yesterday but went to Safeway and they had them there. Also got hubby's gift while I was there because there is a Starbucks in the store. And picked up sock stuff at the Dollar Tree yesterday. I'm all done!

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Visit my blog! http://nwfarmerette.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Re-gifting, do you? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page