Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need Walnut Baklava recipe Next Topic  

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  5:42:25 PM  Show Profile
I had the most wonderful Walnut Baklava at St John's Greek Orthodox Monastery near Goldendale WA. this aftenoon. If you go over Status Pass be sure to stop. Next time I'm trying a gyros or one of their other wonderful sounding Greek dishes. They have a website: www.stjohnmonastery.org
Does anyone have Baklava recipe they're willing to share?
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  1:00:42 PM  Show Profile
I'll post it later tonight for you! I thought I posted it in kitchen before though, I'll have to check. This recipe says you can use walnuts or almonds, we have done and liked both.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  9:52:54 PM  Show Profile
Bramble
I did a search but didn't find any recipes. I also Googled baklava but there were so many. I didn't know where to start. A trusted recipe from a fellow Farmgirl would be wonderful.
Thanks
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22

Edited by - EagleNest on Dec 20 2006 9:55:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  08:02:33 AM  Show Profile
Mary- This is one of the reasons I married my husband! He made this and dinner for me while we dated and I sure do love a man that can cook! Atleast this one! Here ya go:

Baklava

9 x 13 pan
1 box filo dough
1 lb. butter (unsalted)
1 lb crushed walnuts
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
2/3 c. chopped almonds
2 c. honey
1 c. water
4 tsp. rosewater
juice of one lemon

Melt butter in small pan. Brush baking pan with butter. Remove dough from package and cut in half. Stretch two sheets of filo dough over bottom of pan.Brush with butter, and repeat with filo dough so you have 8 double layers of filo. Mix walnuts, almonds, 1/2 c. sugar and cinnamon. Spread 1/2 the mixture evenly over filo dough in pan. Cover with 8 more layers of filo (each layer 2 sheets each and butter inbetween). Spread with remaining nut mixture and top with remaining filo dough, buttering every two sheets. Cut half way through dough with a very sharp knife to make a grid. Bake 1 hour at 325.Cool and finish cutting through. In a small saucepan mix honey, sugar, rosewater and lemon juice. Heat until everything is mixed together.Spoon over baklava and allow to cool before serving.

The trickiest part of this is keeping the filo workable, just keep covered with a clean damp dish towel. It's really easy, but tastes like you were in the kitchen for days. Well worth it! Also, if you don't have rosewater, you can make a lavender infusion to substitute and it gives it a whole different flavor, if you like lavender.He got this recipe from a friend who worked in a Greek restaurant in Colorado when they were in college. That's all I know, besides the fact that it is very good! Happy Baking!

PS...There is a Greek orthodox church not far from us that has a Greek Festival and an event called "From Ya YA's Kitchen" where you can go buy delicious greek pastries and entrees to take home or have a sit down meal with entertainment there. Good fun and great food, always!Don't hesitate next time you are able to go to the monastery, I bet you will love anything you try!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Dec 21 2006 08:14:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  1:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Ok, it goes against my usual food laws...but I am going to have to try this one. Backlava is one those sweets I truely love. BTW...rosewater is great for cleaning and cooling the skin in hot humid weather. My girls and I love to splash it on, I actualy carry it in my handbag and we use it several times a day.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  8:35:49 PM  Show Profile
Many! Many! Many! Thanks.
I have everything except the rose water, my bottle was empty. So it's off to the health food store tomorrow. I had to go anyway I'm out of whole wheat flour.
I have a copy of the menu from St. John's and I've got a list of foods to try. I'm going to try and drag my husband down next week. If it doesn't snow.
Mary

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need Walnut Baklava recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page