Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 What Type of Farm Dogs Do You Have?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What Type of Farm Dogs Do You Have? Next Topic  

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  3:33:08 PM  Show Profile
Curious as to what others have for their farms and how they like them. I have a Great Pryenees-1/8 Lab mix. She is a alerts good, but tends to run the goats too much so she is on the outside perimeter of the fence.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  3:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Australian Cattle Dog, "Bramble". She is the BEST dog! She is very laid back, patient and affectionate . . . her breed tends to be more aggressive and hyper. She is the exception to this and yet is a great cattle dog. We have a hobby herd of Longhorns. She is intelligent, has great energy, stamina and health. It is said that her breed also is known for longevity.
My best pal, walking partner and she goes glamping with my daughter and me!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Feb 10 2016 3:49:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  4:52:06 PM  Show Profile
Great dog! We lost our full shepherd due to a cat this past year. He never came back as did the other one. Our other half shepherd was tore up pretty bad, but he made it. He was at vet for three weeks and still had healing to do. Vet said by the injuries, it was a big cat.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  4:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I'm soooo sorry Betty! It so hard to lose pets.
We had a pet llama that was killed by a mountain lion about 2 years ago or so. That was a hard one for us, too!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sydney2015
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Sydney
Minnesota
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  5:35:05 PM  Show Profile
We have mixed breeds as our main farm dogs, we also have boxer mixes, a Doberman, and an Australian Kelpie.
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2016 :  7:18:41 PM  Show Profile
Interesting to see al the different breeds on farms that do good jobs!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4221 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4221 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  6:27:32 PM  Show Profile
we have Ruby, a border collie. she is the smartest dog i have ever had!! she is my shadow, and companion, and a wonderful cow dog.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6633 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6633 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  7:28:33 PM  Show Profile
I have met Bramble and just love her, she is just the sweetest dog. Okay CJ is sweet too but that Bramble is a hoot, and I am happy I was able to meet her, hug he and spend time with her, oh yes CJ too:-)
What a sweet picture of Ruby, I would love to meet her and give her a hug as I did sweet Bramble!
Thank you for sharing your farm dogs with us.

Hugs,
Deb
Blessed in Colorado

"You must do the thing you think you can not do." Eleanor Roosevelt

Women are Angels,and when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We're flexible like that.

www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
www.Amazon.com/Blessed in Colorado
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2016 :  3:14:21 PM  Show Profile
We have 3 English Shepherds, with a litter on the way. If anyone is looking for pups let me know so I can put you on the list!!

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2016 :  11:23:27 PM  Show Profile
We had a border collie. She could round up the sheep in a hurry. Great dog. Smart, good looking and a real worker. Affectionate too.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2016 :  06:44:32 AM  Show Profile
We have 2 border collies (with an 1/8 sheltie mixed in) and our newest one is a German shepherd and she's 6 months. The photo below show my two girls and our friends from the our 4-H dog project at an agility league in February.

This is our newest puppy.

Farmgirl Hugs!

~April
River Valley Farmgirls
Chapter Leader

~Playing in the Sonshine~
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2016 :  08:48:16 AM  Show Profile
This is Baby, a 15 year old Black Lab. She has been a wonderful friend to our kids and is enjoying her retirement on our back porch.

This is Goldie. She is in charge of the Farmhouse. she is a 2 1/2 year old Chihuahua Lovebug Cuddle Monkey.

Then there is Cooper, a 3 year Aussie/Blue Heeler Mix. His job is to patrol the perimeter, guard the chickens and run the stock like a pro. He has chosen Hunky Hubby as his person and often gets to go to work with him at the Youth Camp he works at.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #93
My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

My Avon

www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!

Edited by - sherone_13 on Mar 29 2016 08:51:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2016 :  8:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
17 mo German Shep and 5 mo Border Collie.

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

Kalea
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

A. Lorraine
Rixeyville Virginia
USA
5 Posts

Posted - May 16 2016 :  4:48:21 PM  Show Profile
We have 3 dogs, Noddy is a shetland sheepdog/collie mix, Blue is a pure Aussie and Bella Rose is a Aussie/Lab mix. Noddy takes good care of the cats and chickens but is getting old and rickety. The other two go thru a naughty phase and chase chickens. My youngest daughter has been doing a wonderful job training them NOT TO CHASE THE CHICKENS !
Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - May 16 2016 :  6:14:44 PM  Show Profile
I can't really count my boys as "farm dogs" as we are only on an acre, but they are labs and do a good job of keeping critters out of the garden and occasionally killing them. We're training the young one as a duck hunter, and he's also a good alarm system. Our older dog isn't so useful!

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - May 17 2016 :  2:24:56 PM  Show Profile
Sherone, that is one lucky dog, to live long on the farm and be treated well in retirement! I just lost my main ranch dog of 13 years after a rattlesnake bite and then fighting seizures for a year. She was an English Springer Spaniel and the second one we have had. They make excellent go-along companions for working around the property, yet are independent enough to be able to function while the humans are away. I will surely replace her one day. Meanwhile, Josie, the Golden Retriever, serves as the security system, keeping deer, coyotes, fox, opossums, raccoon, rabbits and stray dogs away from the garden and poultry, as well as being an effective porch adornment.

Two Italian Bolognese rule the couches inside the farmhouse, and from there they keep sharp watch on all the goings-ons out of doors. They're basically useless, aside from letting you know someone is at the door, but extremely lovable. The perfect breed for lap dog.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What Type of Farm Dogs Do You Have? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page