Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What are you plans for the Holiday?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What are you plans for the Holiday? Next Topic  

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  08:06:56 AM  Show Profile
This probably hould have gone in the Holiday section but I Put it here. Oh well.

What are your plans for Christmas Eve and Christmas day this year? Are you following trdition or doing something new?

We always had lots of traditions growing up. My DH didn't have as much traditional stuff. It was different every year. We have kind of melded things together. We have been married 6 years and this is the first year that my parents will be coming for christmas. We have always gone there on our year to spend christmas with them. I am so excited and cant wait for them to get here! My mother in law will also be joining us but she lives about 75 yards from us so it's not quite the same as my parents traveling 14 hours!

Christmas eve we will sleep in since mom and dad wont be getting in until about 2 am. At 4:30 we are going to a candlelight christmas eve service at our church. After that we will go see these two BEAUTIFUL christmas light displays in town. When we come home we will have Christmas Eve snacks for diner (This was a tradition from my childhood). Here is the menu:
Gourmet cheese platter
Roasted Garlic and french bread toasts
Mini pigs in a blanket
Fried Chicken wings
Peel and eat shrimp
and Christmas Punch
While we eat we will watch Charlie Brown Christmas. We will then play games until bedtime when we will read Night before Christmas together.

In the morning we will get up early and open presents. It always seems more magical when it is still kindof dark out. My dad will then make his famous Christmas morning breakfast of eggs, toast, bacon and his to-die-for homefries! (This is why a B&B wassuch a good career choice for them!) Then we will lay around for a while, play games and go for a walk. Late afternoon we will have our Christmas dinner. this is the menu this year:
Prime Rib with Horseradish cream
My MIL's Hot Rolls
Twice Baked Potatoes
Asparags with Cream Sauce
Corn (For dad and Richie! They wont touch the green stuff!)

Anyway I'd love to hear what you have planned!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  08:35:13 AM  Show Profile
We are headed "home" this weekend, to spend Christmas with my family and then we will come back home.

CHristmas Eve we will attend the candlelight service at church and then we usually let our kids open one gift and have hot cocoa and eggnog. Christmas Day we will open presents in the morning and then have a nice luncheon with the family.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  11:38:03 AM  Show Profile
Since Christmas Eve falls on a Sunday we will go to church at our regular time. Then we spend the day with my parents. I am an only child, so it will be my husband, two children, myself & mom and dad.
Christmas Eve I wrap the presents and put them out. Don't ask why I wait, I always do.
Christmas day we open our gifts eat breakfast (maybe this will be the year I make something awesome!) and then we head over the river and through the woods to MY grandparents house.

O, Come let us adore HIM! www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  11:49:22 AM  Show Profile
I always cook dinner Christmas Eve (at my mom's)for my husband, my mom and some friends of ours that don't have families or simply live too far from home. We used my Great Aunt's napkins (she passed on Christmas Eve three years ago) and my Great Grandmother's silver. The Menu this year: Prime Rib, Roast Pork Tenderloin with pomegranite/chile conserve, sweet potato soufle, Hot marinated green beans (bacon,brown sugar,vinegar)and corn pudding. After the guests leave, Mom and I will go to candlelight services, and then I will go home to be with my husband and dog/cat family where we open ONE gift.

Early Christmas day is ours, then off to inlaws for brunch, then back to Mom's for gifts at her house.

We are also off on Tuesday, and I plan on going to the Freedom Center, the Underground Railroad musuem that opened here in Cincinnati--I never seem to find the time, but I will this weekend!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  11:56:34 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jonni,
I will love to hear about the museum! Make sure you tell us about it!
Merry Christmas!
Bonnie

O, Come let us adore HIM! www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  12:40:57 PM  Show Profile
I sure will--I've been dying to get there, and something always comes up. I don't want to rush my time there, and I understand there is a lot to see. They've recently moved a holding pen from a farm in rural Bracken County, Kentucky (hills above the Ohio river) that still has the chains and cuffs attached to the walls. It gives me chills to think of how they suffered. One of my elderly friends, Ms. Ella Mae Holiday, is 89 and african american. She has been to the museum several times and said that she feels that instead of a reminder of doom and oppression, it's a celebration of who she is now. I'm glad she shared that with me so that it can color my view as well.

This tri state area of Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana was home to much underground railroad activity: the Rankin house in Ripley Ohio is a must see if you're ever around Cincinnati.
http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/underground/oh3.htm
http://www.ripleyohio.net/rankin.htm

I'll give you a full report, Bonnie!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What are you plans for the Holiday? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page