Author Weather Report: Previous Topic Hatteras Island Weather Next Topic  

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  8:58:02 PM  Show Profile
The weather here on Hatteras is undoubtedly the most amazing that I have ever seen. Don't bother listening to the weather channel, they don't have a clue. It's really very simple: if it's wet, it's raining.....if it's dry, it's not.....if it's moving, it's windy. We have wind here and a lot of it, but we love it. It could be sunny here in my village, but pouring down rain in the next village 7 miles north of us. Those that live in the 3 villages at the north end of the island (30 miles from us) will mention the horrible thunderstorm they had and we never saw or heard a thing. Then there is actually seeing a storm out in the gulf stream moving parallel to the shore. We went to a friend's house for dinner tonight and left our village in very dense fog. By the time we got up the road to their village (7 miles away), it was perfectly clear. Totally different story coming home, we could not see a thing and that 7 mile drive took us 23 minutes. The coolest thing about the fog was seeing the lighthouse beam as it turned around.

Of course there are the nor'easters. The Thanksgiving nor'easter blew hard (up to 60 mph winds) and soaked us, somewhere between 5"-7". The dunes at the north end us were breached in 4 places and the ocean overwash on the road was 2' deep, not to mention the several feet of sand on the road as well. The road was actually torn up in one place. 12 oceanfront rental (tourist) houses were left uninhabitable. They shut down both the road up there (totally impassable) and the bridge to our island. The waves were huge (20') and magnificent. All 7 villages were under water at various places and on Wednesday night we could actually hear the ocean roaring from the front porch; it's at least a mile from our house. I have never seen or heard anything like it~yes, truly amazing.

Then there are the hurricanes.....haven't lived here long enough to experience that yet!

Vanessa
Farmgirl-by-the-Sea

Farmgirl-by-the-Sea

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  10:25:50 PM  Show Profile
Interesting Vanessa! We all live in different extremes. We're a maritime climate, but mountain folks up here......... I'm glad we don't worry about flooding, but we've had some earthquakes today!! Stay dry........... joanne in southcentral alaska

"friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  10:20:15 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa - that weather sounds absolutely stunning. I've never lived on an island before, but I'll bet it's just beautiful - and I love that you all live in "villages" there. I can almost visualize the lighthouse - how picturesque.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  9:13:28 PM  Show Profile
hey beach girl
welcome welcome welcome Vanessa. There are a couple of us island gals...seems like Melanie lives on PrinceEdward Isle and theres me... who else hmmmm o yeah Helen and Debbie in NewZealand and Stella Raye and Jayne and in Australia and hmmmm_________?

The nor'easters do pick up the world and take it off ... now I'm crossing myself as I say this...some are lots worse then the hurricane but I believe that's cuz they are part of the anticyclones.
How long have you been on Hatteras? My family used to stay in 4little cottages that were perpendicular to the dunes on NagsHead back in the 60's...back before y'all had bridges. The lil place wase called the PinkShell. Then Nags Head got so built up, my Daddy took us to Edisto Island off SC.
Ya been over to Manteo? They used to have this place that made lace cornbread,oooo it makes my mouth water... the waitresses back in the day were always barefoot and in short shorts.

Do you sail or surf or fish?
Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  12:26:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ellen~

Yes, nor'easters do seem to pick things up and take them away and can be far worse that the hurricanes because they hang on for soooo long sometimes. People just don't know the strength of those storms.

We had been vacationing down here for 10 years in the village of Avon. After the first year I was here I felt a deep and strong connection to the island. Turns out some of the first settlers here were my ancestors who came to Ocracoke Island (in 1590) and then moved up to Hatteras Island during the 1600's. I was home and knew I'd live here one day. All I wanted was "a little beach box nestled in the hills of Buxton." Buxton is the high wide part of the island with a ridge running through it. Didn't want a touristy beach cottage, just an older "beach box" as we call them.

I have only lived here 6 months, but it was a definite "God Thing." Last March, out of the blue, the owner of the house I had rented for 5 of those years called me and invited me down to visit with her for a long weekend. She understood what it was like to go through a divorce and asked me to join her for a much needed mommy break for a Thursday-Sunday stay. She then told me to go on in the day before and take a day for me alone. She then called me back a couple of weeks later and told me to go in on Monday, that she'd see me on Thursday. So I did. While I was there I connected with some friends. I would not have had the opportunity to do so if I had just been there from Thur.-Sun. One of those friends said he wished he could get me down here to do living history programs (he gives historical tours of the island) with his tours in the summer. I told him if I had a place to live I would. He then said, "Well, I know of a little beach box in Buxton that sits up on that ridge." We prayed and prayed for the Lord to lead us to the right decision and moved here in June. My house was built in the 1930's and is full of character and charm. The original owner (& builder) was a light keeper at the very lighthouse I see every night. It's truly been a blessing to be here.

As for NH and Manteo, you probably would not recognize them-very built up. Fortunately most of Hatteras Island is protected by National Park land so only a total of 19% can be built on. However, we have about maxed that one out. But as I have always said (while living in Richmond, VA), a bad day on Hatteras is still better than a good day anywhere else.

As for surfing, etc.....none of us fish or boat, but my middle son is a surfer. The older, younger and myself plan on learning how next year. All 3 ride their bikes around the village and the older and middle also skateboard. We have an awesome church and a great homeschool group of 6 families with a combined total of 18 kids.

That's life on the island!

Vanessa

Farmgirl-by-the-Sea
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  04:35:34 AM  Show Profile
Vanessa
Have you ever read about ancestral pulls of genes to return to their clusters?

By His Grace we ended up here too. I got one of the houses the German engineers built for his family in the 60's race for space. It is far from a beach cottage touristy mine has shacky chic written all over it lol.

Your biking and skateboard boys sounds like what everyone here does. Buxton is the lighthouse they moved? I remember the Kinnekeeters. How many kites do you have?

I took to fishing for fertilizer fish heads are the best....and the free source of food for the body and spirit. Have you planted a garden?
Go to Top of Page

Beach Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg VA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  04:50:26 AM  Show Profile
Hey Ellen~

So where do you live? Yes, Buxton is where the lighthouse is that was moved.

Ah yes, the 'Keeters. I have often told people that I am one and they tell me not to say that very loud. Turns out I'm a "Cheeser" too (ggg grandmother was from Wanchese at the other end of Roanoke Island-not like Manteo at all). The combination of the 2 gets old timers shaking their heads. I finally found out why. Way back when they didn't marry outside of their villages. So a lot of them were just "not quite right" and downright funny looking, if you know what I mean, LOL. Fortunately, mine all left the villages and kept moving "up the beach" until they ended up in Norfolk, VA by the 1920's. Therefore I was spared the problems mentioned above.

As for a garden, I hope to have one in the spring. Don't know quite yet what will do well living on a sandbar 30 miles out to sea. It's so harsh out here but I have friends who can help me with that and I look forward to it!

Vanessa

Farmgirl-by-the-Sea
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  11:05:36 PM  Show Profile
Venessa