Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 Live to Give...post your stories here!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Live to Give...post your stories here! Next Topic
Page: of 3

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  2:11:56 PM  Show Profile
YOu know, that is so true. ALot of women in my generation and after were raised by adults influenced by the thinking and worldview of the 60's and 70's and we grew up feeling that we had no parents. Some cases we really didn't. Without a father or mother or, like mine, one gone and the other hiding in a bottle.
We grew up without boundaries and without security. Our parents thought that made us free. It didn't. It bound us.
I'm so grateful to all the women that "Mothered" me when my own didn't!

www.homesteadblogger.com/TheQueenofQuiteAlot/
www.freewebs.com/muckbootsnaprons/
www.freewebs.com/dailywalkinfarm/
Go to Top of Page

Holiday Angel
True Blue Farmgirl

444 Posts

Pauline
Sweet Home Oregon
USA
444 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  1:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Holiday Angel's MSN Messenger address
After being raised in the country all my life and seeing needs of the community, and helping with as many as I could, when my daughter started her charity at info@heavenlyangelsinneed.com I just had to join and from there I introduced the section for children to 18 years old in a crisis situation.
I now knit for different sizes of babies and children and have volunteers, make, buy, and donate financially to help children all over the United States.
Since I am in Oregon, I donate here or around close. We have woodworkers making caskets for babies that their parents can't afford one, memory boxes, clothing (some gently used), toys for various reasons), and multiple other things.
I believe the Christmas Spirit can be shown not just one day of the year, but all year long.
I am just now in the process of gathering for a huge donation at Christmas for those who can't afford Christmas and I am thankful to all who have already started pitching in.
My most favorite time of the year is Christmas and it brings back the sweetest memories of my wonderful parents who dedicated their short lives to their kids. I just hope that I can make a difference in a child's life like they did.

info@heavenlyangelsinnneed.com
President Childrens Division of Heavenly Angels in Need
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  4:48:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls!
Thank you so much for sharing your stories. It is so nice to read about people making a difference. The feeling I get from helping people is like no other.

Cheryl :)
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  06:50:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I just found this thread and had to add. I think that we are all the greatest bunch of ladies with the biggest hearts! I have sat here and read these stories with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. You all are just amazing!! I am so proud to be a part of the Farmgirl gang! I do have my own story to share -
My daughter lost a baby at the end of April this year. It really tore my family up and we had a service for him here at my home. The box that the hospital gave her was filled with beautiful momentos so they could have something to hold on to and greive with. Inside was a hand crocheted afghan. I broke down when I held it and I decided that I would do for others the way the hospital did with my grandson. I have since been crocheting afghans, hats, onsies, booties, and burial pouches for heavens littlest angels. I have joined a group that does the same and we all send the group owner our creations and they are distibuted to the area hospitals. I feel so good crafting these items because I know that another parent(s) will have something to hold on to in the unfortunate event of an infant loss. My creations will be a part of someone's lives. There is no better feeling than giving to others. Blessings....

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  10:28:11 AM  Show Profile
Hello
I cannot have babies, so don't have any of my own little ones. I am on disability and am not allowed to give money away to charities. So I am hoping to put together a charity garage sale this Autumn to raise enough money to help a family or two at Heifer International. I go to yard sales when I can in the summer to look for quality coats to donate to the coat drive and this year I am hoping to play Christmas fairy and pick a couple of names off the wish tree to buy gifts for. Not having a family to take care of me when I'm too old has really brought the plight of the older folk to my mind. I have thought about making a caroling group to go around to the nursing homes and sing for them (unfortunately, I sing like a magpie:/)
But I am trying to come up with things that I CAN do for our local seniors.

I love crafting, and would love to make some fabulous doll cottages to auction off or give to some child who would really love them. I love mucking about with wood and making fun things, so why not share?

One of the small joys that I do is to make freshly baked goodies or baskets of ripe fruit and vegies and take them around to neighbors, just because =) The look of surprise is always worth it. People have come to expect unkindness from the too busy, uncaring world, so we have to re-build community kindness and caring. We cannot fix all of the ills of the world, but if we practice kindness and giving and show others the way, then hopefully we have started a chain reaction of giving. Hopefully all of us together can make small local differences. All change starts with one person with an idea and a kind heart.

Annika
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  10:58:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree with you Annika! I try to share food and produce with my neighbors and they are always sweetly suprised and grateful. It makes me feel so great to share, I wonder why more people don't! We don't always have a lot to share, but I would rather that I go hungry than anyone else around me does, and I would rather be cold than to see someone else be cold!

Maybe it is like that old hypothesis that a smile can travel the world around because usually when you smile they smile back and so it gets passed from person to person-

Well maybe when we show farmgirl kindness to those around us, it will spread and seep it's way into our culture. Maybe those kindnesses that we show people now will be remembered and they will pass them on.

And if they don't? Well maybe those people had more of a need for kindness than they imagined and had to keep it all for themselves- so they should get more and more kindness because obviously they need more! :D

Okay- I am probably rambling, but it makes sense in my head ;)

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  8:36:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Alee - it makes perfect sense. I'd never thought of people who don't return kindness as needing it all for themselves... that makes me want to not only smile at folks, but to run up and hug those who don't smile back!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

PlumJoy
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

joy
Merced Ca.
50 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  7:45:23 PM  Show Profile
I just loved reading about how you ladies help others. I raised three children who also learned how to give and help when there is a need. It warms my heart to see the things that we teach our children being realized in their lives and then to see them teach the same thing to their children. That is where it all begins and where it goes. I am disabled but even I can find ways to help others, love others, feed others, comfort others. That is what satisfies our hearts. We are like pots filled to the top and the more we give away, the more our own pot stays full. God bless all of you in your loving.

PlumJoy
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  07:01:03 AM  Show Profile
I just read this quote by the Dalai Lama, "The essence of spiritual practice is your attitude toward others. When you have a pure, sincere motivation, then you have right attitude toward others based on kindness, compassion, love and respect." Isn't this the greatest gift we can give others? Even when it's not possible to give something "concrete" to others, we can always be a giving person, just by our attitudes. Just a thought...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2007 :  1:25:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree Libbie! And sometimes just that time and energy means more to people than anything concrete. We all can be giving, and even to strangers. Holding a door open for the busy mom or dad who needs and extra set of hands ANYWAY, stopping when you see someone on a side street that is trapped by busy traffic and needs to enter to the roadway or a pedestrian or bicyclist that needs to cross the street. Smiling at those you see, offering to mow your neighbor's lawn when they are sick or have an injury. Or even something as small as picking up trash you see in your neighbor hood. We all can do something positive for the world. Some people might be confused by our kindness and might even be scornful. But just remember deep down, they won't forget that kindness and they are wishing they could figure out a way to understand and be like us!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Catydid
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Caitlin
Arizona
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  10:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Catydid's MSN Messenger address
Through my life I have been taught to give to others with a full and open heart. My mom, and especially my church have taught me to help when I can, and to just be kind when I can't give monetarily or substantially. Now that I am married, and haven't as yet been able to have kids, I find that I try to stay busy helping others, so that I don't dwell on the fact that I haven't been blessed with my own family. I love taking meals to those who need it, and I am constantly working on projects that I give away as birthday presents and baby and wedding shower gifts. I think that as we serve others we take the focus off of the problems in our own lives. As we help those around us, we are also lifted and bettered.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  10:58:53 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Caitlin..you sound like a great friend and neighbor for sure!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  12:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Caitlin!

Is sure is wonderful to see some one's face when you do something kind for them, isn't it?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Catydid
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Caitlin
Arizona
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  12:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Catydid's MSN Messenger address
Thanks for the welcome! I have been reading Maryjane's Stitching Room and was excited to start sharing, and reading all of the wonderful posts on this site! I think that some of the best moments in my life have been watching someone open a gift that I made especially for them! It's almost impossible to go back to buying store-bought gifts once you've had that pleasure!
Go to Top of Page

joanieh
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Joan
Brinnon WA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  9:11:38 PM  Show Profile
Raising my kids, I have found my place to help has been with other children. I have been a PTO president, substitute teacher, soccer coach, Sunday school teacher, and I have been a Boy Scout leader for 12 years now. Many kids these days do not have parental guidance, but in our community there are many people who try to help them out. It gives me great joy to see my son giving his time every week to teach one of these "lost" kids how to play guitar and just to be a friend to him. Another joy is seeing 6 of our boys achieve Eagle Scout in the past 6 years!
Go to Top of Page

Catydid
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Caitlin
Arizona
USA
23 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  09:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Catydid's MSN Messenger address
Scouting has also been a huge part of my family joanieh. My grandfather was an Eagle Scout, as were all of my uncles and my dad, and I married an Eagle Scout. My little brother is also on his way to becoming one. The scouting program is certainly an amazing program, and I love the skills it teaches the boys!
Go to Top of Page

joanieh
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Joan
Brinnon WA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  10:47:00 AM  Show Profile
One of our guys, who is 21 now, and still active with the troop, says that the Eagle Scout meant more than his high school diploma when it came to getting jobs. All I know is, when my husband goes to hire people at the state park where we live and work, he likes to get anyone who has been in scouting because they usually know about nature and conservation, working with tools safely, and how to tie knots! They also are more likely to have a good work ethic...
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  6:33:18 PM  Show Profile
One of the things I like to do to make a difference is to offer my time to help someone with odd jobs... like my great-grandma. She can't get around like she use to be able to, and the dust on her ceiling fans are driving her nuts... so, my twin sister and I go over to her house (about a full hour or more drive) every Thursday and help her with whatever she needs or just simply sit and visit and eat lunch together. She has been such a wonderful influence in our lives and we want her to know how much she is appreciated and loved. Also, if anyone wants an idea of how they can make a difference, maybe consider visiting someone in a nursing home whose family never comes to see them. I am a nurse and I work on an Alzheimer's unit. You would not believe how many families admit their parents/family member to a nursing home and then disappear- NEVER once coming to visit them unless we call them and ask for more clothing. I love my residents and hope that the time that I am there with them is enough to fill a lonely void they may have.
Go to Top of Page

joanieh
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Joan
Brinnon WA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  8:27:54 PM  Show Profile
I guess I never thought of it as making a difference, Cecily, but I have been caring for my father-in-law, who has Alzheimer's for about 2 years now.

I actually just had a break of two months while a sister-in-law had him. It went all right for everyone; I was nervous at first about how he would take the move, but he did all right. I brought him home on Wed. this week, and he seems to be adjusting pretty well. I see several changes in the past two months, though. He can't walk much more than 100 feet now, and he seems to need the cane even in the house. He has a walker with a seat on it. Before he left, he could walk about a quarter of a mile; 2 years ago, he could easily walk a mile. His ankles are swollen up. He needs help brushing his teeth now. He is becoming more incontinent. We use those male guard pads. His memory is down to about 1 minute.

But he still remembers those German beer drinking songs he learned while he was in the Army during the Korean War! He was kind of quiet the first couple of days after he got back, but today he was quite talkative when he was awake. He is sleeping a lot more now, and getting up less. He used to be into the pantry or the refrigerator every 5 minutes. I was afraid he would gain a lot of weight. I had to babyproof so he wouldn't eat the wrong thing.

Sorry, folks, if I am off the subject here a little. If you are like me, Cecily, you find people with Alzheimer's fascinating. You never know what they are going to say next! My husband says his thoughts are like those bingo balls bouncing around in his head, and poof! whichever one pops out is the thought we get. But, I feel we are giving Dad a much better quality of life here than he would get in a home. The food's much better, he can sit in the sun out in the garden, the only hard part is that I have to haul him around when I need to take my son places. He usually doesn't mind a car ride, though.

To get back on the subject, something you can do for someone else is to offer to give a full time caregiver a break. It will mean the world to them.
Go to Top of Page

amyartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

991 Posts

Amy
Junction City Ohio
USA
991 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  11:30:33 AM  Show Profile
I plan on submitting this...but in short, this past Saturday hubby and I volunteered for the Ohio Lavender Festival in Streetsboro (near Akron). It was at Daybreak Lavender Farm. Jody, one of the owners and her staff were impressed that we came 2 hours north from Columbus to help out w/ the small festival and gave of our time.

We worked at the sample area at the farmhouse there. It was really fun, tho it was kinda tight quarters with the small farmhouse, esp w/ many attendees passing through to shop the soap store and taste some yummy samples. And of course there were happenings outside too. This morning, I sent a e-mail to Jody to tell her thank you for having the opportunity available and she responded back by saying we were some of the champion volunteers there and she just LOVED our endless energy....the people were great to talk to and get to know. I am so glad that we made a difference in a unique way :-)

On another note - The smells in the farmhouse area was to die for.....all of the essential oils from the curing soaps filled the air with a wonderful fragrance.

Farmgirl Sister #21
Heart of Ohio Farmgirls

Proud member of Bees w/o Borders and ArtFuL SisTeRs

http://artfulheart.blogspot.com
http://farmgirltales.blogspot.com

Edited by - amyartgirl on Jun 23 2008 11:32:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  7:00:56 PM  Show Profile
Amy that sounds like lots of fun and I sounds like a wonderful experience to help. Each Christmas I help go help get the shoeboxes ready for operation christmas child. That is always a great time. I also try to help any needy families. I have 3 boys myself and have had to have help myself a times. I am to wealthy by any means but alot of times small things mean alot. Loved reading all of the other interesting stories yall are a great bunch of farmgirls!

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  11:05:41 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I are active in our very small church, which has a food pantry, clothing ministry, homeless ministry, and also dontates to missions in China, Mexico, and Haiti.

Haiti is where our main focus lies, and we purchased and rehabbed a house, with the proceeds of the sale going directly to Haiti Missions to put a roof on one of the schools, and feed 6,500 children. My husband was fortunate enough to take a trip to Haiti in April 2007. Here's a link to 4 videos of his trip to Haiti. http://www.youtube.com/user/dkelewae

I'm hoping to find other ways to raise funds to send to Haiti, especially since the food and water situation there has deteriorated so horribly in recent months.

Diana
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

DJSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Darlene
Kalispell Montana
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  11:47:39 AM  Show Profile
Wow, what a great topic. And I have to agree with you all 100%. We have the ability today to see what is happening all over the world. Most often, what we see is the bad, the terrible, the horrific. I'm not so sure we were built to take the entire worlds problems into our hearts and minds all at once like that. It makes us feel hopeless and helpless to effect any kind of change. But all of you farmgirls got it just right, we can make the world a better place one smile, one meal, one hug, one sympathetic ear at a time. We can look around our neighborhoods and see the world condensed. A broken heart is a broken heart, no matter where the human that houses it lives. A hungry child is just as hungry here as across the ocean. I think thats part of what draws us together here at "Farmgirl Headquarters".

We are women who believe that giving, protecting, nurturing and sharing are vital, and we know that with each breath we take, we have the opportunity to make a difference.

And I have to say that for me, part of it is selfish. There is nothing better for putting my troubles into perspective than rolling up my sleeves and helping someone else get through theirs!

Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  8:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I agree - we are all very giving, caring women. That's why I love it here.
As most of you already know, my daughter lost another baby this past May. Once again she received a beautiful box with an afghan, an outfit, and other momentos from the hospital. I have decided to do a project with the other members of the CraftyBay Farmgirl Chapter and each one of us will make an 18" x 18" afghan and they will all be taken to the local NICU around here. It's something that I need to do to fill a void in my heart. I myself have lost a child years ago, but nothing was ever given to me so I had nothing to hold on to except the memory of my pregnancy. Now, things are different and I want to be part of that difference for other parents out there. Hopefully I can help someone heal in some small way.

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  11:30:34 AM  Show Profile
I love hearing about the caring spirit with fellow farmgirls. The topic reminds me of FFA's motto: "Learning To Do, Doing To Learn, Earning To Live, Living To Serve." It was instilled in our heads that we learn to do new things, but you are doing those things to learn from experience. That experience in turn can help earn you a living, but you need to learn to live to serve others to get through life.

This past year, I've had several dear friends that have been afflicted by cancer. One of the things that I've learned is to be there for them. Whether it is a phone call, a card, just something to let them know that you are there. I also made a point to make things upbeat and get something funny to make them laugh.

Another thing is that at the beginning, everyone sends flowers. They are beautiful, but unfortunately for some cancer patients, once they start chemo, they cannot have anything like that or fresh fruit because of the dangers of infection. So usually their room is dull with the standard bed, tv, couch, bulletin board with papers, etc. So, I decided to go out in my garden and take photos of my flowers. When I had surgery on my elbow, I grabbed my camera and one handed try to get some photos of my flower arrangements. I went to a local arboretum of flowers and took photos. I then took those photos and then made goodies out of them. I made postcards to mail, photos to send, and then a photo album. I also added a goofy photo every now and then of us together or something they love. Then one time several of my friends and I got together and decorated their bedroom with photos of flowers and just overall goofy photos, a fun room. There is no way you could not be full of laughter after being in that place! They were arranged in picture frames, etc, so easy to move around, rearrange, etc. The look on her face when she came home was priceless.

For another buddy of mine who is now across the US, we collected postcards from college friends. When they went on vacation this summer, they sent out postcards. What a treat to send her postcards of our travels.

Finally, one of my buddies mom came up with the idea of finding rubber duckies as they are trying to get their ducks in a row with everything going on. We all have a great time trying to find the most unusual duckies to mail to her. The collection is growing!

Throughout my life, I've always enjoyed doing things for others rather than myself. I hate seeing people going through tough times because I know how it is. If there is a way to put a smile on their face, even by being goofy myself, I'll do it.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Live to Give...post your stories here! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page