Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 Live to Give...post your stories here!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Live to Give...post your stories here! Next Topic
Page: of 3

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  08:41:54 AM  Show Profile
After reading that one of the next magazines having "Live to Give" as a "Keeping in Touch" focus, I thought it might be fun to have a place to post any stories, tales, ideas around that topic. Farmgirl charity is all over the place - tell us about it!

My focus is definitely local, and somewhat small, right now. I have two little ones at home, and what I consider to be an emotionally, physically and mentally full plate - so a while ago I was thinking, what can I do?!?!?! There is so much in the world to help and to "fix" - so many things that need attention and assistance - where does one farmgirl start? Well, I'm starting with making a pot of soup for two elderly gals in our neighborhood each week. They are some really good friends of mine who, as they get older, seem to need a hand-up in feeding themselves well - so, I thought, THAT is something I can do that DIRECTLY makes a difference to two people every single week of the winter. I feel so good about it. I want to change the world to be a kinder, more sane and safe place, and so I'll start here...

How are YOU living to give?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  11:50:36 AM  Show Profile
Libbie, this got me to thinkin'...
As a young college girl I had big dreams and ideals. I was going to finish my degree and join the PeaceCorp..or maybe Green Peace. I wanted to go to all the ends of the world where people were desperate for help and make a difference!

Well, I met Eldon, and fell in love. We had dated only a few weeks when we decided to get married. We decided to have a family right away. Most people our age were busy with establishing careers in the fast track, going clubbing, and definately knew what was "in" fashion and what was "out." Our lives were about each other and our babies.

I loved being a mother and homemaker more than anything, but, when things in the media hit home...like 9-11, or the terrible Tsunami, or earthquakes etc..I would feel so helpless, and I would remember my old ideals of making the world a better place.

After alot of soul searching, and even some tears, I realized that in my own small way, I *DO* make the world a better place. We all do!
In our own little FarmGirl ways, we live to give.
I am teaching my daughters, and even their friends to have respect and reverence for that natural world around them. I write letters to forgetten elderly relatives, I take a homemade meal to a sick neighbor, I volunteer at the school. I used to think that the only way to make the world a better place would be by joining the Peace Corps. I now know that I can do it everyday, in my own little home!
Here's what I do: I tell the truth, I teach kindness, I embrace loyalty, I share my time, I love my family, friends and neighbors. I teach in my own little home, and by that, I hope I am shaping tomorrow's generation of givers!

SO....until I am independantly wealthy, my kids are grown, and I can move to South America to build that school and medical center I have been thinking about since I was 17, I *try* to give a little everyday!

Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  12:16:08 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful topic Libbie, and I loved both posts, straight to my heart and my way of thinking!! We all can start small and make a huge difference right at home! Every Christmas I look for a angel tree, and I take a boy and girl name off the tree and buy for them as well. I donate to the local charities when I can, even if it's extra produce from the garden or old clothes, all is appreciated. I'm not rich either, but I think if everyone did something small to help others, the payback would be huge!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
And my new food blog at: www.homesteadblogger.com/gardencafe
Go to Top of Page

Niamh
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Idaho
140 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  7:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Niamh a Yahoo! Message
My most direct contribution is raising children who are socially concious and also desire to help others.

I donate to charities I believe in like Heifer International.

And we're saving to add to our familiy through adoption. It's only one child, but it's what I can do.

We donate our extra garden produce to the local food center.

I love reading about what you guys are doing!
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  7:52:21 PM  Show Profile
For several years after moving out here to our place in the country, the local paper asked for volunteers for "Pegasus". A program that teaches horsemanship to physically, mentally and behaviorially challenged people. My job was to walk aside or lead a horse and to get the horses ready for clients in the program. I did that for several years - it was a marvelous experience working with a little blind girl - helping her to know the joy of riding a horse, or teaching a deaf little girl about the care of horses. I decided I'm just a wee bit too old to be running around an arena with horses. But never fear, there were other opportunities for volunteering here. A church in town has a ministry of mentoring children in an afterschool program and I mentor there. This year I have a student who has one dad and two step-dads. My kid doesn't really need help with homework - just needs a friend, someone adult, to sit and laugh and talk to. One thing I had also thought about for a portion of my adult years was how cool it would be to teach an adult how to read - it was just something that had tugged at me for years. So when a young man in our church said that he headed up an adult literacy program at a local junior college, I got info from him about doing that. So, I am teaching someone not only to read, but I teach English as a second language. And my Spanish is getting better, too. I don't know if I am making a difference in the world, but maybe I am making a difference in someone else's world. I want to play it forward and maybe someday I'll know how far it has gone.

Edited by - OregonGal on Dec 16 2006 8:10:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  8:11:02 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
My whole life centers around giving to others in one way or another. I'm a mother, and am working on raising two caring and responsible children. We hope to adopt eventually also. We're planning to adopt out of the foster system once our children are a little older. My husband is a youth pastor, so we do tons of stuff with the youth and with our church. We just had them doing ministry work at a local food pantry for Thanksgiving baskets, and ringing the bell for Salvation Army. We usually have a mission trip in the summer, raise money and awareness for world hunger, and are involved in many community service projects with our local church. Children are our passion, and I also teach and tutor at a public school where I feel I'm making a positive impact on students, not only in academics but in many other areas too.

On a personal sidenote...my former pastor's wife has been diagnosed with cancer and lives quite far from me. Since I can't go and visit her regularly, I am going to make her a knitted throw after the hustle and bustle of the holidays has slowed down. It's the least I can do for the wonderful lady I consider my mentor.

Katee

A life without love is like a year without summer.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  11:03:00 PM  Show Profile
Hello!

I'm enjoying reading all the posts to all the forums. Many of them bring tears to my eyes. Each person shows so much compassion and has a caring heart.

I don't ever feel like I do much to make a difference; you know, there is always so much more we could do! But, I have to remember that our daily efforts, small or large, do make a difference to someone. There are two things I do on a regular basis that seem to be helping a few people.

The first one is that I cook for my 15 year old daughter's basketball team. She goes to public school, and as I have met many of the girls, and the guys, my heart goes out to them. Our children have so much pressure to grow up so fast, to BE SOMETHING, to fit in, etc. Inside, though, they are still little girls and boys, wanting our love and attention. So, at least once a month, I cook a meal and take it to school and serve it to the girls at lunch. They are always so appreciative. But, what I notice more is that one or two will always come up and just talk. More than anything, people just want someone who will be interested in them and what they have to say, I think.

The other thing also involves cooking ...sometimes I think I should just move my bed into the kitchen (lol). My husband is an EMT. When he works, he is usually there 24 hours, so most shifts, the guys go out to eat. He asked me to cook a meal for them soon after he started working there, and they all were "in love" with the new EMT's wife. Now, I cook for his shift at least once a week, and always get compliments...not that this matters, but I get sort of sad when I think of all these married guys that never get a home-cooked meal. I'm glad I can do that for them once in a while.

Well, it isn't saving the world, but full bellies make happy people!

Have a blessed Sunday. Val
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  4:16:59 PM  Show Profile
I love this subject & the posts. I agree we all give everyday. I have charities close to my heart that I give time & money too but I think its the everyday stuff that really makes a difference. Its how we react to unkindness & rudeness. Its how we treat the elderly in the food stores, the noisy kids in the movies. If were kind in small ways everyday in out little corners of the world, then were making a positive difference.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  6:09:48 PM  Show Profile
I have so enjoyed reading all of your posts - it truly warms my heart to know that there are farmgirls out there doing the little things that matter - I believe it was Mother Theresa who said something to the effect that we can do no great things, only small things with great love. I see that in everyone here on this forum. What treasures you all are, and I am so proud to be a part of it...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  6:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When I have time I volunteer at my local humane society to rehabilitate abused animals (mostly dogs) so they can have trust and love in humans again. I try to make time to go to local retirement homes- especially the "poorer" ones. On those trips I take my dog Sky with me which she loves.

Recently I have been working a lot so I have not had time to do much of anything outside my own home which makes me sad. We also are a bit strapped for cash right now so I have limits on what I can do that way also. I did get a name off the Sharing Tree for a little 9 year old girl who wanted a "Horsey painting Set". I probably spent more that I should have....but I bought her a book telling how to paint horses- step-by-step in acrylic (acrylic paint is cheaper than oil!). I also got her a set of paint brushes for acrylic paint, a mixing palette, and about 10 different colors of paint. I wish I could have afforded to buy her every paint color they had available but each bottle is fairly large so hopefully has enough to experiment with making her own paint colors.

Also I when I bake at home I am trying to take enough in for co-workers at work. I know it is just a treat but still most of my co-workers are college age kids or busy parents so I hope it makes the Holidays a bit nicer for them.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  05:15:05 AM  Show Profile
Each and every post has been wonderful! And each momma out there remember that raising responsible, caring human beings is the number one way to give! (in my humble opinion!) And if you are not a momma, BEING a responsible,caring human being is an incredible gift!
I have served at my church, mainly as a 5th & 6th grade Sunday School teacher. I try to make meals for people I know who have had a loss, or are sick. I love to give girlfriends and neighbors free time by watching their children. I am a 4H leader. Any child in my neighborhood is welcome to come over, play, do a project, eat what I have ect. It's been said before, but just being aware of those around you in your daily activities and blessing them in simple ways can be life changing for you and them.
One thing I haven't done, which is always on my mind is volunteer at a Hospice. There is one in particular that is near by that calls my heart. I haven't taken that step yet, but when the time is right I will.

O, Come let us adore HIM! www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  07:43:54 AM  Show Profile
Libbie, what a wonderful topic and what a perfect time of year to have posted it. How does that Christmas song go, 'when all the world falls in love' with kindness or something...dang, my mind comes and goes without much notice sometimes! I think living to give comes naturally to farmgirls. I have also taught Sunday School, volunteered with the Salvation Army's toy drives, knitted scarves for a battered women's shelter, welcomed a new neighbor with a homemade goodie, etc. You guys do this and more, I am certain. And what a gift we give ourselves, when we give ourselves to others. The feeling of happiness we get when we share ourselves is far greater than any effort we put forth. Farmgirls are quiet leaders by example. I'm proud to know you guys! Nance
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  11:55:05 AM  Show Profile
I think the giving of yourselves is the biggest. I sat down with a man in the ER last night and just LISTENED. I think it's the small stuff that counts, making people feel like they count, listening, being supportive. It's often what we do for each other here don't you think? jo

"friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  9:14:42 PM  Show Profile
Libbie, You certainly have struck a cord in all of us with this post. Like many who have written, I believe giving begins at home - our homes first, our neighborhoods, our church homes, our cities and counties. Like so many others, the worlds' needs seem so daunting for us individually, local needs seem more manageable.

My daughter and I do what we can on our limited income, but some how (by the grace of God maybe) are able to give food and clothing to our church emergency pantry on a fairly regular basis, and she saves her pennies from recycling and other things all year to support Heifer International. It's wonderful watching a child/young adult realize that giving people a "hand up" in feeding themselves is far more satifying for the receiver than a "hand out".

It doesn't matter what we do as long as we do something.

Jenn
Go to Top of Page

elah
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Emily
SW Michigan
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  07:18:42 AM  Show Profile
A lot of time we get so overwhelmed by the sadness and despair in the world that we think "It really doesn't matter what I do, I CANNOT make a difference". It's good to see Libbie bring out the truth which is we CAN make a difference in this world. It is the small stuff and the big stuff. It's living responsibly and thinking of other (including animals, trees, etc) first.
When I was in grade school we would get Scholastic News. In it would sometimes be articles on the deforestation of the Amazon and endangered animals. I would cut out the articles and tape them to may bedroom walls. My mom thought that I was going through a hippie phase at a young age, but I really just wanted a reminder that every paper product I through away caused another tree to be killed and another animal to lose it's home. When I was in 4th grade a missionary came to our school and talked about her work in Africa. I was hooked. I knew then I could make a difference and I was never going to stop trying to save the world.
All through high school I did tons of volunteer work. Then in college I worked long hours for little pay for the Salvation Army, even giving up Christmas and Thanksgiving breaks. I was also able to go to Haiti twice to do missionary work. I even started a recycling program in the dorms at my university.
As an adult I do low income housing inspections to insure that everyone has a safe decent place to live no matter what income level they are at. I also teach personal finance classes at our local church because I feel that most people are slaves to their debt these days. I have touched so many lives this way that I feel I have been blessed by doing this program. I also work really hard to make sure my 3 year old daughter understands why it's important to recycle, reuse, and reduce. I take her with my for tree plantings in the park and to weekend long sustainable living festivals. Santa even brought her gardening tools so that she can grow her own food in her garden.
I truly believe we do make a difference. We can either leave a healthy footprint on this world or cancerous footprint. It's up to us.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  10:34:56 AM  Show Profile
I am so inspired hearing about "the farmgirl difference" that we're all making in our daily lives. I really believe that THAT is what it's about in the long run. The short sprints of grand helpfulness are wonderful - and the day to day goodness? Well, that's what it really is about when it comes to making our world a better place. You all are fantastic, and I know I've said it before, but I feel so lucky to be part of your lives. As summed up best by others..."Farmgirls Rock!!!"

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  11:46:22 AM  Show Profile
Well, we love our place and our critters, and we especially love our kids (human and goat!). We decided three children weren't enough, and we were so blessed and wanted to share...I had prayed about more children, and it ended up totally divinely that we are adopted three African children. One is home now and the other two are coming soon.

They needed homes and families and we, being blessed, wanted to have the blessing of seeing them happy and healthy living on this little ranch with us.

They come malnourished, ill, and riddled with parasites including ringworm. Sometimes we forget how good we have it in America

Imagine thses skinny, scared African kids a few months after coming; healthy, happy little rednecks riding horses through the apple orchards !

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/TheQueenofQuiteAlot/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  12:06:15 PM  Show Profile
I just noticed this thread today, and I thought I would give a shout out to my parents who are raising a semi-abandoned little boy. His mother is an acquaintance of the family (I wouldn't say friend exactly) and she dropped him off for a "visit" when he was five days old. Since then, he has not left my parents' care for more than a few hours at a time. They were not expecting to start raising a second family, and they do not get any kind of financial support from his parents or the government, but they decided that it was important to give this little boy a decent start in life. It's not easy, especially since they do not have any legal say over his care and his mother shows up unexpectedly to cause trouble, but he is a sweet little guy and has met all his developmental milestones so far. I don't think many people would be willing to put up with this kind of uncertainty and the potential for heartbreak. No matter what happens later in life, I hope he will at least have some good memories of childhood to look back to thanks to my mom and dad.
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  2:49:29 PM  Show Profile
When my four children were young, we lived in a house that had a huge barn in back. I was standing at my sink washing dishes one morning when I saw two boys from around the corner run from the barn. I had no idea what they were up to but I decided not to say anything and to just watch. Every morning at 7am they ran out of the barn towards their home. I realized that that summer they were sleeping every night in our barn. They had a terrible home life with an alcoholic mother who would come after them with knives and such. I decided to put pillows and blankets and food out there for them to make them more comfortable. Three weeks ago we buried one of the boys who at the age of 25 died in a firey truck accident. My heart literally hurt when we got the news. I couldn't stop crying. We drove the 3 hours to see his closed casket and look at all the pictures of him they had placed as a memorial at his funeral. After the funeral his brother, who was the other boy sleeping in the barn, came up to me and hugged me and told me his brother always knew I loved him and would mention the barn every now and then and how happy he was that I took care of him. Twenty years ago I took blankets and pillows out to a barn for two terrified little boys who needed a place to stay. I'm glad he knew how much I loved him because I did. It's not a chore for me to love and take care of people. That's what I do best. I do it because kindness matters...and I care. I'm sitting here crying because all it takes is a couple of minutes sometimes to make a difference to someone who needs it. Keep writing, ladies. My heart is full. Susan
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  7:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so glad these "foundlings" (that both you ladies mention) found someone to help them. I can't imagine leaving my baby with someone else to raise or attacking my own child, but unfortunately I know it happens. You all are such inspirations!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  7:40:07 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Susan for your post. It was very touching to read about the boys in your barn. What a great expession of love. you have touched my heart!

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  08:35:21 AM  Show Profile
I just found this thread. How wonderful!
Susan, I'm hoping that my mascara isn't all over my face here at the office! Can't stop thinking about those two boys and their life until they found the safe haven of your barn.

I think it was Jo who said, the giving of yourself...I don't have much money, but when I'm gone, I hope someone can say about me, "she was good to me".
I learned the greatest lesson from my first boss...she had kindof a hard-scrabble existence as a child, and we worked in a high-end gift shop, downtown Cincinnati, where we got ALL kinds of folks, rich , regualar and poor...there was a great homeless problem in Cincinnati at that time, shelters had been shut down, and there was no place for folks to go, so they headed to the air conditioned malls. I was young, and pretty stupid, really. One day, this homeless man was absolutely drawn into our store by the pretty, sparkling Swarovski Crystal display. He just looked and looked, like they were going to come alive. My boss, Gwen, went right up to him with the most genuine attention I've ever seen. Told him how they were made, where they came from, answered his questions, laughed with him. When she came back over to me, I expected her to say, "boy he didn't smell good," or something negative, and all she said was, "you never know who you might be talking to..", reminding me of the Good Samaritan. "He is more special than you and I."

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Justimagine
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Kate
TX
USA
47 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  09:47:58 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Jo... I agree totally that it's the "small stuff that counts"

So many times, just giving a smile to someone you pass at the grocery store or the gas station (especially the gas station these days!) can turn their whole day around. Listening and caring are the best things to give in this busy world where people don't even have time to make friends with their neighbors anymore.

My husband and I give by volunteering to organize community outreaches several times a year. We encourage our congregation and co-workers to donate gently used and new clothing, as well as food, Bibles, books and toys. We set up face painting booths and have live music and usually hot dogs or barbecue (all free!) We do this in the Spring, around Easter and Summer (just before school starts) That one is called our backpack outreach because we fill backpacks full of school supplies. You'd be surprised how many kids start school without supplies every year.

And our most fun one is our Christmas outreach. We love seeing the children's faces when they receive new toys and candy. And many a "mama" has told us tearfully that would be the only toy their child would get that Christmas. We also provide baskets of groceries to as many families as we can for the holiday. Last year we provided Christmas dinner for 300 people in a low income, predominantly spanish speaking neighborhood.
This is all done through donations from our church and community.

We've found that people give so easily when they find out about the outreaches. I think most people have generous hearts and want to meet needs, but just don't know how to do it.

We always have so many clothes leftover afterwards that we take them to another church in town who takes them down to Mexico, where they, too, become recipients of our outreaches! It's a blessing to be able to share with others... we love it!

"...out of the heart flow the wellsprings of life"
Proverbs 4:23
See what's springing up from Kate's heart today at www.kate-wells.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  8:18:47 PM  Show Profile
I love hearing about all of the ways that you all give... it really wraps my heart in warmth when I think of farmgirls all over the place reaching out -- just think of what we can do!!! Every little thing DOES count. The times that I've been alone here on the farm and had stuff up to my neck to do - and I've had a neighbor or townsperson offer to help with something -- ANYTHING! -- from feeding sheep to taking my baby for a walk around the block -- has been a huge help - I have been so grateful for these little "pick-me-ups" that I can vouch for it - the little things DO count!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  02:26:34 AM  Show Profile
I just happen on this site and keep "blowing" my nose at the stories....I was taken back by your story Susan, how kind and wonderful of you to think of those little boys. And Aimee, your parents had to have guided by Love and prayer to care for that little boy....I had a neighbor/friend who had a lovely little girl baby "dropped" off one day and 17 years later she was still there..Loved and care for by this woman and her husband and never a complaint uttered from them..She just said to me, The little girl needed someone and the Lord sent her to us...

Newheart............God Bless all of you....

Chocolate makes my Heart 'sing"...
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  06:49:44 AM  Show Profile
Giving birth to a baby, for some people, does not make them a parent. The Lord knows exactly what he's doing when he places a small person or any person in our lives. They're not the only ones blessed. We all are.

Last Saturday, at work, a young woman who works there came up to me after her shift. She was crying because she couldn't afford to go home to be with her mom on Mothers day. I let her talk and cry. When she started to leave, I went up to her and told her that even though I wasn't her mom I would like to give her a hug. She hugged me so hard I finally asked her politely to let me go because I couldn't breathe! She left the store a happier person.

I think it's a shame in this day and age that a lot of people think that if we buy others or ourselves material things that we'll be happier. What a waste of life that is. Just by listening to someone, giving a hug or a shoulder to cry on can be a wonderful gift. I know this to be true because there have been people in my life who have let me talk and cry to them. Now, it's my honor to "pay it forward." Susan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Live to Give...post your stories here! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page