Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Shoulder surgery Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2016 :  10:13:18 PM  Show Profile
I just had rotator cuff repair surgery on Wednesday and I took the dressings off tonight. It is not badly bruised so I think the dr. did a good job. I used the Tens Unit that delivers electrical pulses just a while ago and that seems to help. I am concerned about the physical therapy home exercises. I've been doing what I can but a couple of the exercises suggest using a friend or family member to gently move your arm. I really don't have anyone to help me. So I put my yoga strap over the top of a door and used that to gently raise my arm and hold it out at the elbow. It hurts but I know if I don't do them I'll really be in trouble. Has anyone else had this surgery? How did you do the exercise? I can't drive for a while so I have to do them at home. Any suggestions?
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6611 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6611 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  05:27:27 AM  Show Profile
I would suggest that you do just a few movements until your return to the surgeon for a check-up. Physical therapy will be discussed after it is clear that your surgical site is healing properly. You don't want to get ahead of yourself when there is still much trauma from the surgery inside. Give things time to properly heal and then let the PT get you up and going for an exercise routine to get back your range of motion. Right now, it is most important for you to rest and allow things to heal inside. Remember, there are lots of stitches in there holding the repair in place and there is a lot of swelling from surgical manipulation. After a week or so, the swelling will go down, the pain will be less, and you will find that gentle movements will come easier. Be patient, and let your surgeon help you when the next steps are ready to be taken.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  06:00:54 AM  Show Profile
I 100% agree with Winnie! Did they tell you to start the PT exercises again already??? While I know they encourage moving as much as possible after most surgeries nowadays, doing your physical therapy exercises could over extend the stitches and cause more harm than good at the moment. Praying for your complete healing!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  08:13:47 AM  Show Profile
Great advice, Winnie. I would do what she says and wait until you go back to the surgeon. Praying for a speedy recovery.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  5:19:24 PM  Show Profile
They sent me home with a list of exercises to do. If you wait too long your shoulder will freeze up. the muscles will atrophy and then you will need more surgery. Yoga strap buddy is happy to help me. I have a friend who is coming over tomorrow. I have a catheter inmy neck that needs to come out. I am NOT doing that by myself. So I will stop by the dr.'s office and let them do it. The home exercises are very important to do every day. I need my shoulder to work. All the repair work is INSIDE so that's why they say it's so important to do the exercises. The tens unit helps with pain and muscle repair.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2016 :  12:07:51 PM  Show Profile
Cindy: Sending get well wishes and prayers to you. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  5:44:04 PM  Show Profile
My sister had that surgery several years ago. After the doctor gave his ok, she did water therapy (just gently moving her arm in circles, and such. She had her whole body under water (except her head :)! The doctor said that was a great way to get her range of motion back. She went to the Physical Therapist as well. By the way, it was an indoor pool and was heated!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7000 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7000 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  7:37:35 PM  Show Profile
I have a friend who had this surgery. I’m not positive on what exercises she did but I know it took her quite some time. Just make sure to take it easy. I’m hoping you have a speedy recovery. Good luck with everything.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Shoulder surgery Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page