westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  2:20:19 PM  Show Profile
Im not sure which one of the farmgirls introduced us to the hillbilly housewife but I thank you so much. I love her. I use her so easy biscuit recipe all the time for drop buscuits. So much cheaper then busquick & just as tasty. This w/end I made her bean soup. At this time of year when money can go quicker then usual, her easy, cheap and tasty recipes are great. You just add your own stuff but it is worth it to visit her site. www.hillbillyhousewife.com Thank you farmgirl for telling us about her before.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  2:33:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for reminding me of this site, will have to bookmark it so I don't forget!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
And my new food blog at: www.homesteadblogger.com/gardencafe
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  3:09:52 PM  Show Profile
What a neat site! thanks for telling us about it!
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  6:04:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for reminding me of this site!
You are so right, this year money seems to go fast, and soup tastes so good on cold, snowy evening!
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  10:59:48 PM  Show Profile
I am glad to get the reminder too..great site!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  04:26:20 AM  Show Profile
I'm all about home economics. Do y'all really choose margarine over butter? Instant mashed potatoes? Ramen noodles with sliced hotdogs?

I did bean soup this weekend too.
2cups pintos dry =or split peas or for the northerns navy beans work too
2lb ham shank
1 small onions
2stalks of celery sliced
1 carrot diced
2quarts water
6 peppercorns
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  06:17:19 AM  Show Profile
my ten year old son asked to use his dad's soft cheap margerine for toast yesterday since the butter was in the fridge and not as soft. I read the ingredients list on the nasty margerine (he already knows how I feel about the stuff) and he quickly changed his mind and waited the moment it took to warm up butter to spread. If only husband cared as much.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  08:19:40 AM  Show Profile
She also has a $70.00 and $45.00 two week menu posted which can be helpful. It's more like $100.00 here but still good ideas.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  11:26:27 AM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny my hubby would uses the squeeze stuff if he had his druthers on spreadability lol.My Pop-pop,the Brown Swiss Man would never hear of us having margarine. HAve you seen those little butter crocks? I have my Granny's.That and honeyizing butter keeps ours on the counter and spreading easily.

Holly I read the two menus, that is where the ramen noodle w/sliced hotdog and instant mashed tater question of mine came from. My mom was a home economist. I grew up learning how to rub two rice kernels together and call it a casserole...boy howdy her meal in a dish had to have costed pennies. She would mince two pecans to what I thought was dust and sprinkle a slather of cream cheese and then she split it between my brother sister and me. so I fed my boys for as little or less then the hillybilly gal but i didn't teach them to surrender to the call of margarine, mac and cheese out of a box or ramen noodles, I taught them how to fish and hoe a garden.
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  1:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Well I can tell you I am going to use many of her suggestions. Though I will use butter but make better-butter from Laurels Cookbook and use my own tomato sauce from the garden last summer. But I am a sucker for ramen noodles- sorry- but at 1.44 for a 15 pack I can't beat it for a quick snack and price. Most gifts this year will be sewn on my machine. So I hope everone likes aprons and blankets etc. Or maybe something canned? or a soap spa gift set. Time to tighten the belt and live with a eensy weensy budget. Glad that we will have big family get togethers- the gift of time with them is priceless.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  6:57:19 PM  Show Profile
Beth, I bet everyone will love your Christmas creations! Everyone is still talking here about my laundry room sign

I'm glad y'all found some suggestions you can incorporate into your homelife.
I can't understand the attraction to 1560mg sodium laden instant noodles?

http://nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c224i.html

kraft mac and cheese

http://nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c21YC.html
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  7:49:35 PM  Show Profile
I don't like ANY noodles so I am NEVER tempted..haha. But the kids do like their spaghetti.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  8:45:53 PM  Show Profile
ooooo ooooohhhhh! My son actually asked for a muti pack box of Easy Mac for his birthday! He said he knew that was the only way I would consider buying it! Does that mean he's headed for margerine and Ramen noodles next?! We just don't do that here! I found the site amusing and a few things helpful. I have found if you make most things from scratch, it is much more economical but we don't eat alot of premade or processed food. I keep stressing nutritional value every time he asks for PopTarts! I hope I'm not fighting a loosing battle!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  10:17:42 AM  Show Profile
I think I may have been the hillbilly that introduced this site way back... So glad someone brought it up because I lost it when my AOL account went belly up last time!

Sure is some neat stuff on the site & some funny things too! You should have seen my husband's face when I mentioned that this woman makes her own menstal pads...I was JUST remarking on how much it costs us to buy disposable over a lifetime, not gonna DO it! For a man who is proud of his wife's thrifty ways he sure had a look of terror on his face! Hahaha!

Ellen, you comments about your home economist Mom are a hoot! You should write a little memoir!

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  11:35:11 AM  Show Profile
i dont use instant anything (most times) or margarine or a/thing like that but the beauty of her site is that it gives you so many ideas and a way to do it cheaper.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  09:32:33 AM  Show Profile
Ellen!
I am totally with you on the ramen noodle/hot dog dish!?!?! Gross... I guess it is cheap. BUT...you get what you pay for!

I am able to feed our family of six for about $75 a week...I don't buy ramen noodles or mac&cheese (I am allergic to wheat) and the only time we do hotdogs is for the 4th of July, and I get the good ones!!

I like the idea of HillyBilly Housewife and she has some great ideas...I just tweek her menu to fit our diets.

We eat meat every night, along with brown rice, or a baked potato or yam and fresh fruits and veggies...
It is really pretty cheap!

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  7:35:13 PM  Show Profile
I had so much fun on that site, I love any ideas on saving money and I thought she had a cute personality. Do you guys know of other sights like this one that I might enjoy?

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  2:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I am totaly in disagreement with her cooking style, but Cindy is right about her personality and her scripture link is good. It takes you to an area called Maggies Veil and is dedicated to modesty and covering issues. To me a $75 grocery bill is of no use if you are ruining your health in the process and end up paying a $100 medication bill later in life.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic hillbilly housewife Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page