Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Newest member of the household...New Photos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Newest member of the household...New Photos Next Topic
Page: of 2

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  11:43:12 AM  Show Profile

UPDATE: Sunday Jan. 24th----This afternoon she headed to the back door to go out on her line without a leash or asking her. The next door neighbor suddenly appeared barreling out his garage which startled her so that she actually jumped then she let out one good deep BARK! Freida speaks!! She ventured off the oriental today and wandered into the dining room. Yay Freida! Out to investigate her new 'digs!' Progress---slow and steady, but Progress nonetheless!

Adoption approved yesterday and a reserve fee placed this afternoon for the newest member of our household.... "Freida" (formerly known as Twiggy.) She is a one year old German Shepherd / Pembrooke Welsh Corgi mix female. Hubby is out of town until late Sunday night so we will go and get her on Monday afternoon.

I am so happy to have found her. I wanted to wait until spring, but I saw that face and fell in love. I've missed Truman so much-the house was too quiet with the kids grown and gone and I needed to have a furry friend again. It will be good to have her here with me.

Melody

Edited by - melody on Jan 24 2016 10:38:46 AM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6917 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6917 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  11:47:39 AM  Show Profile
Melody, that is a sweet face. I like Freida's new name. Your heart is big enough to keep Truman in his special place and have plenty of room for Freida.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  12:16:58 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Sara--I needed to hear that.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  12:30:19 PM  Show Profile
Melody...We can never replace one dog with another. You just adopt a new member of the family!
Freida has a sweet face and looks like she needs you as much as you need her. You both will give
each other countless hours of great companionship and love.
Monday will be a red letter day for all of you!

Congratulations on the New Love of Your Life!

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 16 2016 12:32:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2016 :  1:55:33 PM  Show Profile
thank you Peggy...can't stop thinking about her in the shelter--it's a fine shelter, but she looks so sad and lonely.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2016 :  8:05:33 PM  Show Profile
Love that face. No dog can ever replace another dog, each one is different but that's why we love them. She will have a great home with you.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KristiW
Moderator/Farmgirl True

639 Posts

Kristine
MaryJanesFarm
USA
639 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  11:29:20 AM  Show Profile
Too much cuteness! Congrats to you

Kristi
Farmgirl Sister #6

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  3:38:37 PM  Show Profile
Melody...Hope your new baby is home with you this very minute!!!
And yes, we want more pictures!!!

Hugs and Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6932 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6932 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  4:56:07 PM  Show Profile
You get to bring your sweet new baby home today! She is such a cute puppy! This will be good for you and for her. I hope the two of you share many precious moments.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  7:10:18 PM  Show Profile
We're home!

She is so shy....only barked twice --two short yips-heard something outside. A little worried about the wood floors but she found a spot on the oriental and has finally stretched out and fallen asleep. I'm going to get her to go outside before retiring and put her in her crate for the night. She is such a sweetie--Found out she came from the great state of Alabama five days ago as a stray-Her tail is docked and it looks as if she has already had one litter of pups. We are getting to know each other and I know it will take some time for her to overcome her shyness, but I have all the time in the world. Thanks ladies for all the kind wishes!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  09:22:12 AM  Show Profile
Day one with Freida....I have never encountered an animal that is so very shy and fearful. This is going to be a big challenge to help her adjust and be comfortable and not so scared. The house is always super quiet and she has not budged from the carpet since 8:00 this morning. I physically have to leash her inside the house-walk her to the basement steps (down 3 steps) to the back door to let her outside. She does her duty right away , but I have to go and retrieve her to bring her back inside. She just does not budge. I placed her water bowl and food bowl next to the living room carpet, but she won't go near it. She looks exhausted but continues to wag her tail when I walk through to the kitchen. What have I gotten myself into?
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6584 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6584 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  09:37:36 AM  Show Profile
Frieda is so sweet, how blessed y'all are to have found each other. I remember your Truman and I know he would approve; he is smiling down on all of you.
Congratulations Melody to you and your family.

Hugs,
Deb
Blessed in Colorado

"Dream as if you will live forever...live as if you will die today." James Dean

"The truth is everyone is going hurt you. You got to find the ones worth suffering for." Bob Marley

"Friendship is when people know all about you but love you anyway."

www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
www.Amazon.com/Blessed in Colorado
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on Jan 19 2016 09:38:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  11:52:06 AM  Show Profile
Melody...don't get discouraged dear girl it is only Day 1. She may need a couple of weeks or months to
really feel at Home. You do not know what abuse or neglect she has suffered before. Like people...
Love, a Safe Place, and Gentle Guidance will go a long way to help her recover. She doesn't know what
to expect from you anymore than you do from her...so it will just take Time! The wagging tail when
you walk by is a good sign. Every relationship is worth the Effort and takes Work!

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  12:00:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Peggy! I have all the time in the world...

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  4:31:33 PM  Show Profile
give her a couple of weeks before saying oh no! She will settle in! Just think she is so cute!! Keep us updated!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  4:55:38 PM  Show Profile
Awe Melody,,, that is awesome for all of you.. she will come around,,, hugz and congrats!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Jan 19 2016 4:56:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6932 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6932 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  6:22:54 PM  Show Profile
Give her some time. She is just getting use to her new surroundings. She will come around and you two will be the best of friends! You are a great mom for her.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  7:31:40 PM  Show Profile
It's so strange getting so close to her and I've only really just met her. How is that possible? She is so smart and trying so hard. I've seen huge improvements in just hours. It's true what they say when you are recuperating-and I truly believe she has suffered both physically and emotionally that--TIME, patience, love, quiet, warmth, good nutritious food and clean - fresh water can do wonders for this sweet girl of mine. She has such low self esteem, but both my husband and I are quick to praise her and stroke her. She is changing dramatically before our eyes. I'm am humbled by what I am seeing.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  06:20:28 AM  Show Profile
Melody, So happy you found a furry friend to love! She is beautiful. I am so glad you are sharing with us. I'm sure she will be all you need and you will be someone she can trust and love. Not ready to take that step myself yet but when I do it is going to be a shelter dog. They need someone to love them and rescue them from a lonely life which is what you have done.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3932 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3932 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  07:54:50 AM  Show Profile
We adopted an older dog from the pound. He was ill groomed but friendly. We got him groomed and took him to the vet and got him a microchip. Then we discovered he had an owner who wanted him back so we did the right thing. Two years later, the vet's office called us to say that our dog had been turned in. We readopted him and learned that he had been abused during that two year period. His health had deteriorated significantly and he shook all the time.

One way to test to see if the dog has been physically abused is to raise your hand as if to strike the dog. If it shies, it has been hit. Let the dog know that you will never do that. Relevant rewards and consequences are necessary for this kind of dog. This dog will need time to satisfy itself that you are not similar to the last humans she knew. Let her settle in on her own time. A year from now, she will be a totally different dog.

My little guy took six weeks to learn that I would not hit him or grab him by the neck and shake him. I saw it happen one day when on a walk he gambled around joyfully as a little lamb would. (He kind of looks like a little lamb actually.) He started taking food out of the bowl before the other dog and became protective of me. He is now comfortably napping on the couch. We do make a difference in a dog's life.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  08:09:22 AM  Show Profile
Marie....oh my, That made my heart hurt.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6584 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6584 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  08:14:05 AM  Show Profile
What a beautiful ending to a very sad story Marie, your family and that baby are so blessed.

Hugs,
Deb
Blessed in Colorado

"Dream as if you will live forever...live as if you will die today." James Dean

"The truth is everyone is going hurt you. You got to find the ones worth suffering for." Bob Marley

"Friendship is when people know all about you but love you anyway."

www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
www.Amazon.com/Blessed in Colorado
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  09:53:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh Marie, just so sorry your pup had to endure that abuse.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  2:48:22 PM  Show Profile
What a sweet puppy face Melody!! Have fun with your new furry friend!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3932 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3932 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  08:23:23 AM  Show Profile
He is still hesitant to come to me when I am bent over with my hands out. I try to exude a "I want to cuddle you" attitude because dogs can sense intentions. He comes to me reluctantly as if he is expecting to be punished. It is sad but watching him grow, relax and show joy is a great gift.

Melody, let this be your goal. Enjoy the transformation.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2016 :  11:40:48 AM  Show Profile
Melody!!!!!!!!!! Oh, what a beautiful face. Thanks for sharing Freida's sweetness with us. Hugs to Freida.
More pictures, please.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Newest member of the household...New Photos Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page