Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 FarmGirls We Have Come a Long Way from 1949
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic FarmGirls We Have Come a Long Way from 1949 Next Topic  

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6917 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6917 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  10:22:04 AM  Show Profile
Advice from a Singer Sewing Machine Manual from 1949

Prepare yourself mentally for sewing. Think about what you are going to do. Never approach sewing with a sigh or lackadaisically. Good results are difficult when indifference dominates. Never try to sew with a sink full of dirty dishes or beds unmade. When there are urgent housekeeping chores, do these first so that your mind is free to enjoy your sewing.

When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible. Put on a clean dress. Keep a little bag of French chalk near your machine to dust your fingers at intervals. Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on. If you are constantly fearful that a visitor might drop in or your husband will come home, and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  11:39:09 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Oh my goodness! That's priceless! I do try to have my household chores done, but I certainly don't put on a dress or lipstick!
Thanks for sharing Sara! :D
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3075 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3075 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  11:55:40 AM  Show Profile
I'm a bit of a young pup - what is the dusting your fingers with chalk about?

I think my husband would be wondering what I'm up to if I put on a dress and lipstick to sew! Times sure have changed.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6917 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6917 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  12:53:33 PM  Show Profile
Heather I wondering the same thing about the chalk. The only thing I came up with was that it remove moisture/oil from fingers and would wash out. I then got the bright idea and looked it up in the dictionary.

...a very soft soapstone used for marking lines on cloth or removing grease spots...

I went to the quilt shop Tues and they had the 'advice' displayed on the counter. I commented on it and they made a copy and gave it to me. Now that's customer service.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  3:26:00 PM  Show Profile
Heather that is what I was thinking about the dress and lipstick!

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6584 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6584 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  3:51:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, I love it! But, back in those days they were always dressed with their lipstick on even to clean house.
Like the instructions said you never knew who would drop by, neighbors or a salesman, plus you must look nice when hubby came home for lunch.
Can you imagine us the younger generation doing that today. I have a Dear Friend who is 81 and this is how she is. First thing she puts on in the morning is her pearls. Priceless, just like CJ said.
Thanks for sharing Sara and giving us all a chuckle!

Hugs,
Deb
Blessed in Colorado

"You must do the thing you think you can not do." Eleanor Roosevelt

Women are Angels,and when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We're flexible like that.

www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
www.Amazon.com/Blessed in Colorado
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6932 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6932 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  5:22:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow. Oh how the times have changed. I think that if we did that now people would wonder what the heck was going on. Especially my husband, since I never wear lipstick. Many people now days won't even change out of their pjs to even go to the store or work let alone worry about what their husband thinks. Sometimes I like how society use to be. Such a great find.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  10:01:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Girls ALL you comments gave me a good laugh!!! But I almost choked on my late dinner. LOL

Chalking is not what you think girls. It is like French Tips on yours nails now...but back then
they used white chock pencils under neath their finger nails to give that same affect. The only
reason I know this is my Mother was from that era and use to use it. The powder was before the
pencils came out in the 50's. At least that is what I think they are referring to since it is
listed in the paragraph about staying attractive when you sew in case guests dropped by or
your husband came home early.

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2016 :  10:08:20 PM  Show Profile
I remember those days. The French chalk was to keep your hands from getting sweaty while you were sewing. Unfortunately some of have not kept the image. But what didn't change for me was that sewing is still fun.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  11:21:36 AM  Show Profile
Why yes... I try to make myself attractive before preparing to sit down at my machine and sew.... umm, does sweats and a pony tail count as attractive? Lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  11:35:03 AM  Show Profile
Instead of going to the salon for a French manicure, we used to get a little kit at the dime store (there's another old-timey phrase!) that had an orange stick to push the cuticle back, and the white chalk pencil to use on the underside of your nail to keep the tips nice and white. And we generally did not actually polish the nails -- we used a buffer.

I think the French chalk in a bag here is talking about the little puff-bag that was kept in the sewing basket to keep the oils from your hands off your work. Keep in mind we didn't have air conditioning, so sitting at the sewing machine (and using that hot old steam iron) could get to be pretty sweaty work. I don't know how she did it, but my grandmother lived in southern Indiana all her life -- never had a/c -- and I never ever saw her do more than fan herself at church with the cardboard fan from the funeral home. I always felt like I was going to melt completely and run right down into my shoes all summer, but she always looked like the lady that she was -- complete with her hair pincurled all night and fluffed out in the morning, and her string of pearl beads. And always a dress!!! Floral housedresses for doing morning work with an "apern" over top, and something with a pin-dot for Sundays. She managed to raise 5 kids on poor farms after my grandfather died at 43, and I never heard her shout or swear or saw her sweat. My my -- ladies were called upon for an awful lot of different things back then. But we are called upon for just as many today -- they're just different ones.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  06:34:46 AM  Show Profile
Sara, this vintage reminder is priceless! I just love the advice. You know, sewing does require that you have your wits about you and I find that I always do best when I put my best foot forward. You know the business adage: Dress for Success apples to this to sewing as well.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  8:32:54 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Marilyn, I remember those too. But the chalk I was talking about came in a little bag that you pounced on your hands. Oh, wait a minute, I have to put on some make-up, someone is coming...lol

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  12:53:36 PM  Show Profile
That tidbit is AWESOME! I had a good laugh reading it...thanks for posting!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl #134
Go to Top of Page

Kangaroo Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Teresa
Red Oak Texas
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  9:01:12 PM  Show Profile
that was a fun topic!

I dress up sometimes to do housework or chores outback
(animal area) lol just makes me feel better granny always looked good no matter if she left the house or not my mom did too.

was feeling pretty bad time back too many hospital stays taking a toll. been frumpy too long. one morning thought hum I need new look a new mental outlook, I'm goin to dress up to go do chores! make up ,fixed my hair, earrngs,did my nails, no frumpy cleaning clothes I felt so good. sun was shining was a beautiful day. it gave me a different energy. I decided I needed to do that all the time- that I could.
I understood what the old time focus was about that granny lived by.

I am getting the cute yellow chicken rain boots, already have pretty flower sloggers as my doing chores shoes. I spiff up my outback doin chores look now- even splurged today got new hat at tractor supply. I found myself humming as I did chores.

point being it does give you a different attitude !

Dance Like No One Is
Watching.
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  04:17:25 AM  Show Profile
How fun! I think there is value in some of this advice, although perhaps over the top a bit! I've seriously considered revamping my wardrobe to be more 30s and 40s inspired including wearing a hat and gloves when leaving the house. I don't know about putting on lipstick to sew but I think we can glean some wisdom from our foremothers about taking care of ourselves and putting forth a good image. (I'm totally sitting here, mid afternoon, in yoga pants, a tshirt, no makeup and unfixed hair holding a messy sleeping baby so I'm far from living this image! lol)

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Norwex www.sabrinascheerer.norwex.biz
Usborne Books and More! https://j4070.myubam.com

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  09:55:08 AM  Show Profile
I've seen this advice before...and yes, I remember my mom always looking great while working...however, I am still rofl!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe
Sharpshooter / Chapter Guru

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  2:48:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
I like to garden in my calf length dresses and wide brim hat. The hat keeps my face from getting sunburnt and the dress not only allows for airflow, keeping me cooler, but it doubles as a basket if I need to haul some garden produce in (hence the long skirt). While I don't usually wear lipstick, I almost always have lip balm in my pocket.

There is a lot to be said about putting on a little glitz to add a little pep to your step. My sweat pants may be paint spotted, and my t-shirt has holes starting, but my diamonds are in my ears bringing out the sparkle of mischief in my eyes.

Sherri
Sister #1350
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2016
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic FarmGirls We Have Come a Long Way from 1949 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page