ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  2:26:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi! My newest project I am getting ready for is a temperature blanket. I will crochet a row everyday on my blanket. The color yarn I use is based on the temperature outside . I will also be adding extra rows of white for snow days since last year we had very little snow. I start my blanket on Jan. 1 and crochet my last row on Dec.31. I am getting excited. Has anyone else ever made a temperature blanket ?

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl sister#4072

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  3:17:39 PM  Show Profile
No I haven't but it sounds interesting. How big will it be when it is done?

Donna Farmgirl Sister #1487

Wheather therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  6:24:32 PM  Show Profile
Can't wait to see it finished. I haven't made one but what a good idea. Ours would have a lot of white in it for COLD!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7482 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7482 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  6:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Interesting idea - did you come up with this yourself? or find the idea somewhere? What stitch will you use?

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  6:53:57 PM  Show Profile
Donna- Not sure how big it will be . 1st time doing it.
Bonnie - according to the chart for cold weather day you use pink dk and lg blue. So yours would have alot of color. Yes you would alot of white if you added the snow days.
Linda- I found out the temperature blanket on facebook it has a group and all.I've also seen some idea on pinterest. The I am going to use I think is a double half crochet as my crochet skills are very limited.

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  6:55:17 PM  Show Profile
Linda- the group on facebook is called temperature blanket project.

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7482 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7482 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  7:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Interesting - I am thinking this could also be done as a quilting project. I love the method for deciding colors. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  7:22:57 PM  Show Profile
Linda a quilting project sounds fun too.
0 and below -pink
0-10-light purple
11-20-dark purple
21-30-dark blue
31-40-light blue
41-50-dark green
51-60-light green
61-70- bright yellow
71-80-orange
81-90-light red
90-100-dark red
over 100- burgundy

But can make up your own .

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3931 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3931 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  8:08:07 PM  Show Profile
I would make it in a ripple pattern.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7482 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7482 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  9:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I love those colors - here in Texas it would mostly be greens, yellow, orange, and reds. Not much pink or purple usually. LOL! Hmmmmm! Do I have time for this? LOL!

Marie - the ripple crochet or knitting pattern would be neat.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 30 2015 9:12:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  9:15:39 PM  Show Profile
Marie - a ripple pattern would be cool but don't know that stitch yet and don't have time learn for this project . Am going to put that on my list this year so I can make my temperature blanket in 2017 using that stitch.

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6917 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6917 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  03:33:53 AM  Show Profile
Ruthie Ann, your temperature blanket interests me. I don't crochet and its something that has never appealed to me. Linda's idea for a temperature quilt is something I might do. A small quilt/wall hanging that would include merit badges ... will give it some thought.

Linda to make a quilt would patterns be okay or would it have to be all solid fabrics? Gotta work fast - tomorrow is 2016.

Ruthie Ann keep us posted on how your blanket is coming along.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7482 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7482 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  08:00:46 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! Sara. The quilt could just be squares of fabric that are predominantly one of the colors. Or it could be a pattern. Each color could be a variety of scrappy fabrics, not only one fabric. Here are my quick brainstorm ideas, and I am really considering to do one of these ideas:

Square a day
For one square a day that would be 366 blocks. A quilt with blocks cut 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" square would yield a quilt 31x12 blocks which would make a wall-hanging of 62" x 24", which is quite a bit wider than long, but with 4-6" borders, this makes a great bed runner quilt. But if you use rectangles cut 2-1/2" x 5-1/2" (finished to 2"x5"), and place them with the 2-1/2" across the width, your quilt would be 62" x 60" before borders, a nice size for a bed quilt. You can cut your squares ahead of time from your stash and sort them in baggies according to the list of colors. Add a nice border and you have a wall-hanging or full- to queen-size quilt. This is probably the easiest.

Block-a-Week
Another idea for the quilt could be a block a week, which would be 52 blocks. Each block could be a combination of the temperature colors for the 7 days in that week. Some weeks might have mainly one color, other weeks up to 7. (LOL! Wouldn't that be a week!) It would be a scrappy quilt that could be 8 blocks x 7 blocks (with 4 neutral setting blocks in the corners) with each block being a different quilt pattern. If you want a wall-hanging you would make the blocks 4-1/2" unfinished, so they finish at 4" square. For a bed-size quilt, I'd probably make these blocks to finish at 10" square (10-1/2" unfinished), which would make the quilt 70" x 80" before adding a border. This would be easiest to use simple block patterns, but could be as complicated as you like. What a great sampler quilt.

I have set up a "Temperature Quilt Challenge" post to follow. Please join us if you want to quilt instead of crochet or knit.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 01 2016 1:35:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  08:16:20 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I don't believe I have time right now, because I have already committed myself to the craft show in early March.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.
www.etsy.com/shop/
anniemayme
Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7482 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7482 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  08:19:25 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
No problem. Thought I'd ask. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6917 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6917 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  08:43:26 AM  Show Profile
Linda, the block a week works for me. I'm been thinking about the wall hanging and one much - much - much smaller than a full size quilt. So I think I will go the artsy funky route. I like making yo-yos so I will make up some of those in the temperature colors to use with the blocks.

Since tomorrow is a Friday our blocks will always start on a Friday. I will have no set plan for each week - just do what I want to do at that time. Think of it as a crazy temperature quilt.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7482 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7482 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  08:59:07 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
That's a great idea, too, Sara. You can make scrappy 4-1/2" blocks (they will finish at 4") where you just sew scraps together and whatever happens, happens. You just keep a supply of strips, squares, triangles, and whatever and sew one to the other and trim to 4-1/2". That would make a smaller quilt/WH. If one week is all the same temperature range you could use one 4-1/2" square for that. LOL!

I think I will start a Temperature Quilt topic to help keep us on track. LOL! I sure hope I can keep this up.

Thanks for the listing of colors, Ruthie.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  09:16:18 AM  Show Profile
Linda - I may be interested... wow that would be a lot of burgundy for us!!!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6917 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6917 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  09:21:28 AM  Show Profile
Linda, thanks for your ideas and for starting a thread for temperature quilts. Thanks Ruthie for getting us started on a new fun project.

Ruthie, I will be checking on this thread to see have your blanket is coming along.

I have MaryJane's planner and had no need for the Month pages until now. I looked up the coming weeks temperatures on my computer and with Ruthie's color list I have listed all the colors for tomorrow.

I may not do all the blocks on a Friday but I can list the colors in my planner. I love it when one thing I have works for something new I will be doing.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7482 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7482 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  09:29:41 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Sara. Please "sign up" so I can make a list of those doing this Challenge.

And thanks, Ruthie, for getting this started.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 31 2015 09:30:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7482 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7482 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  09:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Shannon - you can use various shades of burgundies and for me mine will be calicos and other prints that are Predominantly the color.

I am thinking of getting my twin grandsons working on this. It would be a weather project to keep track of the temps, and I have a huge bag of scraps.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  10:17:00 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE the idea of getting the kids involved!!! What a fantastic idea!!!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  5:41:51 PM  Show Profile
I love this idea, Ruthie!! That's quite a commitment! Shannon, wouldn't that just be the coolest homeschooling idea!?!

I just love all the comments and patterns including the quilting ideas! Problem: I have so many UFOs now! I've been wanting to do some weaving again. So, maybe I can quick set up the table tapestry loom. That seems pretty simple to me. Choose the color chart and yarn. (I'm thinking something chunky) Then weave in the color for the day. I think that would be manageable for me. Yikes! Starts tomorrow!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2016 :  4:19:03 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea... unfortunately my crochet skills are substandard.... but I look forward to seeing yours completed... what a fun project to do.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

JThomp
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Justine
Raymore Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2016 :  10:02:28 PM  Show Profile
I love this idea Ruthie! How fun! I might give this a try, it would be a great way for me to improve my crocheting.

Ruthie, I'm not sure where you are in Indiana but I'm originally from Muncie.

Justine

FarmGirl Sister#2904

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2016 :  05:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
I hav been recording the temps in my planner. It is one of my goals to re-learn crochet, so I can make one of these. I saw a picture and just LOVED it!!

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Temperature Blanket Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page