Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Vintage Bicycles Next Topic  

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  10:27:24 AM  Show Profile
Clare's mention of finding an old bike with high handle bars and a basket inspired to start a topic on it. I just happen to have a 60's era Schwinn ladies bicycle that is blue and has the old wire basket. I got it at an auction 15 years ago for 5 bucks. The seat is very hard and the entire bike in need of serious repair which I am not wanting to invest in at this time. I did however find another use for my bike. I lined the basket with coconut husk liner and planted flowers in it! It is sitting on my deck tied to the railing for extra security. It looks so cute! How many of you have fond memories of that first bicycle? Do you like to bike in the summer? Remember the double seater bikes? My girlfriends and I would rent them at a local gas station in jr. high on weekends and bike all over town.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  10:31:47 AM  Show Profile
Wish I could find one, Meadowlark. When I have seen them they are considered "antiques" and therefore quite pricey. Guess I'm not ready to fork out the big bucks for my nostalgia yet. But, ya never know, I may happen upon one at a yard sale this summer.... I have a quirky list of "things I'd like to get", so many times what appeals to others at yard sales, doesn't appeal to me (or vice versa) and I can nab the "good stuff"!!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on May 23 2005 10:32:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  11:23:24 AM  Show Profile
Clare, When I got my Schwinn everyone was into the mountain bikes and looked at the old fashioned bikes as "dinosaurs". It was just being at the right time right place I guess. Now antique dealers clamor for these old beauties thus driving up prices. Sometimes elderly people that have garage, yard sales still have their bikes from that era for sale... My first bike was one of those things with the real long handle bars and a banana seat. Bet they are starting to be collectible, but I still favor the old"grandma" kind.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  11:41:16 AM  Show Profile
My sister, eight years older than I, outgrew her bike about the same time I began riding a "big" bike. Therefore, I had a nice bike, navy with a horn button in the middle part, basket on the front, but it was not the Schwinn I thought were so cool. It was my sister's bike!

Eight years ago, my hubby took me to the bike shop and bought me a silver and green Schwinn with the real tires, big seat, and no gears. I love it! I finally got my Schwinn and it is a beauty. Of course, my then teen-age daughter looked at me like I had lost my little old lady mind, but, hey, I get good exercise on that bike!

jpbluesky

Heaven gives its glimpses only to those
Not in position to look too close.
from "A Passing Glimpse" by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  1:36:17 PM  Show Profile
My first brand new bike was a blue big old lady bike. I was 8. (my opinion then..wish I had it now) My younger sister and brother and I all learned to ride it at the same time. So...it was really beat up quick..we wern't easy on bikes...and they got new sting ray bikes for their birthdays. I was pretty jealous..I have to admit. I rode that old blue thing until I was 13 and had saved up babysitting money and bought a ten speed that I had until I married..gave it to my sister then. I should get a bike for riding around town....maybe alot like that old blue one.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  1:50:12 PM  Show Profile
Your first bike Jenny sounds alot like my old Schwinn...it was built like a tank! When I was 10 I got a sting ray...could not remember the name until you mentioned it. I thought I was the hippest thing going. We would clothespin playing cards to the spokes of the wheels to give it that extra cool sound.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  2:05:51 PM  Show Profile
Check these beauties out girls, the Townie 3 pink pearl finish with Hawaii print fenders is my dream bike!!! I am saving my seed money for this! http://www.electrabike.com/04/bikes/townie/t5.html

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  3:29:33 PM  Show Profile
You are talking my language! My inlaws had a shore house for a very long time and somehow a tandem bike came to stay there. We had great fun watching everyone try to master it and it became a test for new boyfriends of my husband's sisters!
My dh bought me an upright handlebar/fendered old lady bike(10 speed though) our second Christmas together.He knows what I like and even found a wicker bike basket for it too!I have a friend who refers to it as The Modess bike because it reminds her of our girls health movie in fifth grade where the woman was riding a bike like mine and claiming all her troubles were over because of "Modess"!
My brother had an old stingray orange crate when we were kids, I bet he wishes he wasn't so hard on bikes now! I had the version with the sparkly seat and the sissy bar and streamers that matched my seat! I gave it to one of our neighbors because by the middle of 5th grade I was already 5'6" and it was too small.
When my son was in kindergarten we had a Halloween party at our house. I was looking for cute rather than scary ideas to decorate and always had one lurking for backyard sculpture that I didn't think dh would go along with.. We took the birdhouse off the post in our front garden and attached a board at an angle with a bike that looked like Elliots from ET. I stuffed some clothes to look like him and we had an ET doll for some reason so he was put in the basket. We finished it off with a flood light from below through the fence so it looked like they were flying against the moon. I thought it looked neat and couldn't wait for the kids to see it. I was not prepared for the response. Our street became a traffic jam, I had people calling
constantly and the kids were unbelievable. They left notes to Elliot and ET! When I had to take it down there were more notes to bring them back! I had to finally leave a small note out front saying that Elliott had helped ET go home but they might be back some day. Yikes!All that from a bike!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  3:32:40 PM  Show Profile
OHHHHH! Meadowlark, I love those bicycles. I want one.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  3:46:25 PM  Show Profile
Bramble you just gave me my big middle aged belly laugh for the day! I had forgotton about those hygeine films by "Modess"...I am laughing so hard I can hardly type!!!! Those old hard seats could be a wee bit uncomfortable.LOL Nicol, Those bikes are to die for!!!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  3:49:26 PM  Show Profile
You were over the top Bramble on the ET decoration for Halloween! Do you ever sleep? I am doing good to put some carved pumpkins out on the porch. You are truly awesome!!!! Your son is so lucky to have a mom like you!

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  04:22:56 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, you are very sweet and your words most kind.
Glad I made you laugh, some people have no idea what we are talking about and think we are nuts!(and we are...)Atleast when I ride my bike I'm not shouting out to the neighbors"I feel FRESH all day long!"

Our pumpkins usually don't get carved until Halloween afternoon!
I do infact sleep, but feel so fortunate to be Zack's Mom that it makes this time precious to me. I do have a tendency to be "over the top" on the details but that is my fun and creative outlet I guess!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  05:17:13 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, I am laughing so hard my eyes are tearing up. I had not thought of Modess in years! Now I will think of it every time I ride my bike.

jpbluesky

Heaven gives its glimpses only to those
Not in position to look too close.
from "A Passing Glimpse" by Robert Frost

Edited by - jpbluesky on May 24 2005 05:20:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  06:31:54 AM  Show Profile
I am still laughing...I won't be able to ride a bicycle without thinking of that Modess woman! You are too funny Bramble!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  2:58:56 PM  Show Profile
I had a Sting Ray too! Mine was lemon yellow

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2005 :  7:12:16 PM  Show Profile
Check this out girls! I about choked when I saw the prices of these vintage bikes! www.memorylane-classics.com This will be a long distance love.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2005 :  9:34:25 PM  Show Profile
yikes..of course my favorite was #26..the one that is almost $3,000!! If I had that kind of money I could get a good cow for sure..haha

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2005 :  3:16:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farm Girls! Love this chat! When I was about 10 years old, my father took me to the Schwinn store in our little town and told me to pick out any bike that I wanted. I was so excited! It was a dream come true. I selected a blue Schwinn Deluxe Tornado with one of those large wire baskets! I used it to carry my 2 year old sister around and eventually dropped her out on her head! I tell her that's why she is so goofy today.

Hysterically Funny
I had also forgotten those "you are growing up" movies at school! I remember that all of the girls of an appropriate age were hearded into the gym to watch the film while the boys all spent the day whispering about this!!! Have to say that I don't remember the woman on the bike!!!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  2:22:35 PM  Show Profile
Okay, girls, I happened upon this today and I'm sharing. Woman's Day is giving away 5 of Electra Bike’s Townie-Style bicycles, made especially for beginning riders, valued at $300. Entries accepted until June 21, 2005. Don't y'all beat me out now!!!
http://www.womansday.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=9683&page_number=1

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on Jun 16 2005 2:23:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  3:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Clare: Thanks for the link! There's enough for us both to win! Go Clare & Nicol!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  4:32:15 PM  Show Profile
I will stick with "The Modess" but I wish you girls every chance to win!

Connie- the film ended in a very hushed tone and they said "Modess because..." and then they switched to this woman riding her bike in all too happy a manner (with daisies and french bread in the basket) and she shouts out to the neighborhood "I feel fresh all day" Now really can you just imagine? Makes me wonder now if she hadn't already finished off the bottle of wine!) I was 10 when we saw this film sitting there in my bell bottoms and smock top (remember them?) and my friend and I both looked at each other and crossed our eyes and burst out laughing. This was the era of Women's Lib, title IX sports rulings, and girls who were learning they could be anything they wanted to be. It's this same friend who named my bike some 20 years later!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  5:15:37 PM  Show Profile
Be glad you weren't of the age in the mid-60's Bramble. I had to suffer through the Modess film where the daughter is having THE talk with her mother and a little cartoon fairy like Tinkerbelle comes along and waves her magic wand over the girl and wala " she's a woman now!" I called it the "ovulation fairy" and have ever since. I always wondered if Walt Disney had a hand in those growing up movies. But we still had to see all the "modess" products available for your "discrete and sanitary use" at the end of the film. With the little ovulation fairy standing to the side and waving the old magic wand in approval.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  04:23:13 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark--Now I am laughing out loud! I guess 1970 was a turn to the "mod" approach...NOT!

Back to bikes... Has anyone noticed that kids(especially boys) are riding around on these bikes that are two sizes too small for them and they seem to like it? They look like escapees from the circus or something! Is a smaller bike easier to do tricks with? I can't figure this one out! And the crew at my house looks at me like a have three heads when I ask them! Has anyone seen the new Schwinn Stingray? WAY COOL!!! ( And affordable!)

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Vintage Bicycles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page