Page: of 2

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  5:52:24 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,
I am at a lost at what to do. It seems that the past couple of swaps I have had a couple who didn't follow through. I am sad about this. To me this is stealing . I just can't understand why people do things like this.Would some one please help me figure out how to prevent this? It seems to be new ladies that come on and then leave quicky. I am thinking about not allowing new people to sign up for a swap till thay have been around a while.
Thanks for your help.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  6:40:50 PM  Show Profile
That stinks. You could definitely say that the swap is only open to "True Blue Farmgirls" to make sure that folks are really "into" it. The Swap-Bot swaps that I've done usually say that they're not open to swappers with poor ratings. Bad karma to all who don't hold up their end of the swap!!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  6:51:00 PM  Show Profile
I must say I agree with Catherine, maybe have a "must have been a member for x amount of time".

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  8:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
It happens a lot where people back out that happen in the yo-yo one and the charm squares. Usually if I initiated a swap I expect a few people to drop or have problem and I just let them. But first I make sure if they just forgot or think the deadline is to tough I give them more time most farmgirls understand that. If they just can't do it. I fill in there spot if it is something simple like yo-yo's of charms. ( that is me you don't have too). In the signature one a person dropped out. I notified the other participants that they could either not make that one that would have gone to that person or if they had already made them I would give them as a gift to the person who did the first swap (happymama58). Each case is different you have to decided what to do is best. If you know two people have dropped out then the two left can swap each other. This is why I like the swap all going to one person who sorts that way if someone drops out no one is left out who sent something. I think the cost is the same in the end or very near it when the option is makeing something and getting nothing. I just think it works better. If you are doing a RAOK then one pon one is better same goes for holiday cards. But when it is to be a trade I think one shipping place makes it fair for all who did the work when a person drop out.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
my web stores www.sunshines.etsy.com and http://vintagethreads.etsy.com

Edited by - sunshine on Dec 06 2006 8:44:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  8:59:22 PM  Show Profile
I had a problem when I was sending sourdough starter to people on a bread baking list. Some who asked had never posted to the list, didn't bother to acknowledge it had arrived and we never heard from them again. At about $3 each for postage, more for those out of the USA, it got up towards $50-60 for postage. I'd hate to not be able to join a swap because I'm new, but do understand the frustration. Same bread group, we had a gift swap and the owner of the list ended up getting nothing...not fair. I don't know if there's an answer that won't hurt feelings. If someone gets mad and drops off the list, maybe they weren't meant to be part of MJF anyway. If it comes to a certain length of time on the list, please post that, so those newbies like me won't ask to be part of a swap until we're ''approved''.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  9:01:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Everyone. Sunshine you had some great ideas for little swaps but for towels and apron that would be a little hard. I understand people letting me know and dropping out or needing more time. What upsets me is when someone recieves a package then leaves the MB without send thiers out. That to me is stealing and it is wrong.I am going to change the fat square swap and have them all sent to me thro.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  12:03:09 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth I think that is a great idea. That way no packages go out until they're all received. If not one sends their stuff then they don't get any back.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Visit my blog! http://nwfarmerette.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  06:11:25 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
you can do it with the towels and apron every one in the group sends to you as they come in they go out. Meaning who ever is the first two to send in, are the first two to swap with each other in the end who ever has not sent one doesn't get one if you end up with one odd person at the end that is when you step in and make one more. Then you end up with two as you swapped with two people ( if that happens)and every one else ends up with one who made one. Very fair that way. No guessing who gets what the faster people trade first and the slower people trade last so the time lines are fair not a slow peson with a fast person.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com

Edited by - sunshine on Dec 07 2006 07:14:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  07:03:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks. I think the next round of tea towels and aprons I will have them all sent to me and I will swap them out. That way new people can join but if they don't sent they don't get. That will make it fair.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  07:15:12 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I hope it all works out for you

Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  07:56:49 AM  Show Profile
When our weaving guild opens a swap - someone volunteers as organizer and swap-mom and guidelines are established so everyone participates on an equal level. For instance, a swap may be for a set of three towels, or one apron, or a package of 24 yo-yo's. Anyone can participate, but when we send in our completed items, we also send in money for the return postage. Postage costs can be pre-determined by the estimated weight of the returned items, or by the flat-rate postage of Priority Mail boxes. The swap-mom is investing her time and energy and goodwill, but hopefully is not out a lot of money for postage. To make sure the swap-mom is not overwhelmed, the sign-up list could be limited to a certain number of participants. I don't know of anyone who would want to receive 300 tea towels and have to package and mail them out!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  08:18:18 AM  Show Profile
I have to be honest--I've seen your posts and other's about swaps, and I've never joined in because I simply know my "limitations", and didn't want to let anyone down. I'm sorry that you're having these difficulties--the idea from Pony Express is a good one, I think.

I signed up for the Christmas card exchange, because I love to do them and knew that wouldn't be an issue for me (never fear, the are in the mail!!! :)

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

GRITSgal
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Jamie
Cave Spring Georgia
44 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  11:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Send GRITSgal an AOL message  Send GRITSgal a Yahoo! Message
I m sad about that.. i m new myself and hope others don't abuse that honor system being in swap group. I m honest person myself and would love to spoil my sock swap partner.. :D
Go to Top of Page

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  12:15:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Elizabeth, it is so unfortunate that this happens. I ran into this with my tea towel partner - luckily, I was in the second group and there was a time lag. I checked to see if she had been on the board and she hadn't for about a month. No answers to my email either. Well, now you're my tea towel partner!!!! The swap mom idea sounds ideal, but is more work for the organizer. It goes against the FarmGirl credo (if there is one :o)) to take without giving back in kind!

xxxooo susan

Lovin' my life
http://BizzyHands.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KitchenWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Kristina
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  12:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Click to see KitchenWitch's MSN Messenger address
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Elizabeth. As a newbie, I'd be sad to have to wait to participate in my first swap, but it would be worth it if it meant I had the group's trust and could put their fears to rest.

I see how designating one organizer may help to reduce the risk of someone being cheated (or cheating...), but that flies in the face of why I personally am so eager to participate in my first swap with my fellow farmgirls--there is almost no feeling like opening a special package containing something handmade from a kindred spirit. The only thing more fun is *sending* one--making it pretty, picking the perfect card, decorating the box, imagining your recipient's face as she opens it, etc. The package you share with someone else is a piece of you. What it looks like, how it's wrapped, what the card says, what the piece feels like, and, of course, the time and care put into the created piece--they are all part of the gift. I'd be sad if that experience had to be eliminated because everything was sent to one person just to ensure everyone plays by the rules. Even though it means keeping myself out of the swap until I am deemed "worthy", I personally prefer waiting to participate over the organizer option. That way my gift can be received in the spirit in which it was sent!

If y'all do decide to place a hold on participation, just let us know. The moment I'm able, I'm in.

XO,
K

Live deliberately, simply, abundantly. Remind your neighbors how to thrive.
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  3:13:45 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,
I have enjoyed each of your comments. This has been weighting heavy on my heart and mine. I know most farm girls are true blue. Every now and then as in all groups in life there is a bad apple. I decided after prayer and reading each of your comments that the fat quarter I will have them all mailed to me. But my other swaps the apron and tea towel swaps I will assign partners. Because to me part of the fun is receiving the package from a partner who has made the item for me,wrapped it and add her special touch. I belong to yahoo craft swap group and we send to a partner each month. As far as new people I will just take it case by case.
I feel so much better now.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  10:50:14 PM  Show Profile
I think that is such a good decision Elizabeth. It would be very hard to make an apron for someone that is "generic" enough for anyone. I love that we are communicating to decide colors and ideas and putting special goodies in just for that one person. Fat quarters wouldn't have to be as personal

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Norskema
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Candace
Central Indiana Area
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  7:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Norskema an AOL message
Can I ask a question about this please? I am new but I don't think that should disqualify me from participating in a swap. I had offered to join in the tea towel swap but missed the cut-off I guess or maybe because I was new I wasn't included. I don't really know. There was another person before me who also asked to be included. Maybe when someone drops out, you could contact folks like us who were willing to participate but didn't join in time.

Part of the problem of joining in a group (speaking for myself) is that you all seem to know exactly how a swap works and how to set one up, etc. I've asked a few times to be included in different swaps since I joined. I've contacted my local Farmgirl Chapters and can't get a response there either. There are groups of friends already formed and like 'real life' versus 'cyber life' it can be hard to make friends and you don't want to feel like an intruder. I LOVE reading all the posts and threads but would really like to have a better idea of how to participate in some of these activities. Is it possible that the 'bad apple' didn't know how these swaps work either?

Rather than butt into an established group, I'd like to know how to start a swap. Would someone be willing to send me an email and explain the process? From these posts, it looks like there is more than one way to get one going. I'd really appreciate the help.

It will probably take me some time to rack up enough posts to be 'True Blue' by the message board standards. That doesn't mean I'm not true blue as a real person.

I don't know that I feel much better but I just wanted to put my two cents worth from one newer member's point of view.

Candace

Every way of a man seems right to himself but the Lord is the tester of hearts. Proverbs 21:2
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  8:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Norkema I sent you an email let me know if you get it. Also go ahead an ask any questions of me that you want happy to answer

Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  9:04:50 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, I think this is a very realistic compromise and Jonni has the right idea in recognizing our limitations (time, talent and treasure) before committing to a swap. I've not yet participated - I'm still quite new to the forum - but I think it would be very interesting to have a partner. I'd read some past posts made by my partner to try to get a feel of who she is and what she likes, and then begin my project.

I'm glad you feel better about the process, and bless your heart for initiating these swaps!

Sandy in Missouri
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  04:49:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Candace,
On the tea towel swap it was because you ask to join after I had assign partners.Once partners are assign I don't add more people. It is too confusing. I would be happy to included you in the next round in Feb if you would like.
Each of us has our own style of hosting swaps. My style is very organized, I like partners and a set deadline. I know life happens and that is ok. Just let us know.
I agrees we should first look at our limitations before committing. Some people may look at it as only a swap but I take it serious as I do all commitments. I know my partner is counting on me. I am very old fashion and my word is my bond.
Hope this helps everyone know me a little better.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  05:40:30 AM  Show Profile
I am sorry if I hurt some newbies feeling with this post.I never meant to. It is just heartbreaking when I see people being hurt.
Some have ask how swaps work. It is simple. You read the post to understand the hostess rules and deadline. Then you sign up. After that you honor your commitment on time and if you can't then you let the hostess know. I hope this helps.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  07:07:30 AM  Show Profile
I understand your concern Elizabeth and I think that it would be fair to set up some kind of limits as in time on the board or something of that sort. I know it may not seem fair to newbies but I guess it's one of those life things and with the person who's in control of the swap making the rules that's just how it goes. It's unfortunate that people sign up and don't follow through but when it's clearly appearing to be newbies who aren't active on the board and you just can't get any contact from them it's something to consider. Maybe if the newbie, that's no up to the true blue point yet, contacted the swap leader and expressed their interest beyond just posting in the thread that could help too.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  7:58:43 PM  Show Profile
I am fairly new to the forum and would have hated to be left off because of that (even though I understand it in principal). I did notice that when people did not get theirs or if they hadn't yet arrived, that others on the forum immediately offered to take up the slack. That good will is worth the risk of a swap or two gone bad. Someone doing the wrong thing always makes the generosity in the others shine. It might be worth it. Thank you again for EVERYTHING you did for us Elizabeth!!
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  8:38:26 PM  Show Profile
I signed up for the fat quarter swap and I do hope that I'm not behind or holding anyone back as I haven't received any other information yet! Please let me know. I couldn't stand to be a bad apple! Susan
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  9:23:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Susan,
We started the sign up over to make it fair for everyone see the new sign up post.
Hugs,
Elziabeth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I need help Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page