jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  05:37:21 AM  Show Profile
My daughter and I have been taking any old slacks we have that are too short or too long, or too flared or too slim, and making capri length pants out of them. We cut them to the desired length and add decorative ribbon, small bows, beaded edging, and all sorts of decorative touches to the hems. We even give them two inch side slits. It makes old slacks into something new and up to date. And if the ribbon or edging gets damamged, we can replace it easily.

Now we feel like we have some new stuff to wear!

jpbluesky

O, cease to heed the glamour that blinds your foolish eyes,
Look upward to the glitter of stars in God's clear skies.

from God's Garden by Robert Frost

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  06:40:55 AM  Show Profile
Super idea, Jeannie!! Remember when they were called "petal pushers"???? Guess that's aging me!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  06:56:16 AM  Show Profile
Let's not forget the ever popular "clam diggers"! Or was that just an east coast terminology?
Jeannie your idea sounds like it could be a Farm girl activity for sewing night! Everyone could bring extra trims to share and you could have a blast!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  07:26:34 AM  Show Profile
Clare - they were called pedal pushers, because they made it easier to ride a bike! I wore them a lot while I played hide and seek and called allie allie in free (wondering what I was saying while I said it :)

Clam diggers were named that because you could wade along the shore of the ocean and dig for clams and not get your pants wet!

I even remember them being called Toreador pants, like bullfighters wear....those were tighter at the knee, I think.

Gosh, "capri night" would be a fun group activity. Good idea, Bramble!
jpbluesky

Edited by - jpbluesky on May 23 2005 07:34:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  07:31:34 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and Clare, let's think of our memories not as aging us but making us rich in history. :)
jp

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  07:41:01 AM  Show Profile
rich in history..I like that. At church yesterday a man was telling a story about something that had happened to him to a big group of kids (I am one of the teachers) and said something about a car that was a 1958 something and I leaned over and whispered in the little girl sitting next to me that the car was as old as I am and she looked horrified....since that was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO old! I quickly wished I would have kept my mouth shut. I will have to keep saying Rich in history, rich in history..haha

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  08:23:20 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Jeannie and Aunt Jenny, Rich in History and RICH IN WISDOM!!! I think I was having a spelling lapse this morning... pedal pushers is correct and in reference to safer bike pedaling. Wish I could get my hands on an old bicycle with the high handle bars and a basket. That would just complete things, wouldn't it?

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  10:16:45 AM  Show Profile
I have seen embroidery used as trim on capris...hmmmm. I have a new project for the summer! Resurrecting old pants for myself and my girls! Thanks Bramble!!!!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  10:18:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I meant JP...You all have such great ideas I can't keep you all apart!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  1:25:16 PM  Show Profile
One of the things I have always loved to do is to embroider on my overalls...especially the really worn out ones with patches and stuff. I used to have a pair that had Mom and lots of flowers on the bib part that my oldest sons hated for me to wear to town..of course I did anyhow. THey hated my basket purse too..but I still carried it. Now they laugh about it,but back then...not funny.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  6:02:37 PM  Show Profile
Ah, Meadowlark, I already embroider my "cutoffs" (i.e. capris, pedal pushers, etc.) - easy to do and you can't buy anything like them. Sometimes after shortening the old pants, I sew on beads, etc. depending on the embroidery. If you want to get very creative, you can buy beading by the yard, which is already sewn on a tape (the beads hang down towards the ground) and you can sew this along the bottom of the pants. They can look casual or dressy depending on what kind of material/style the original pants were.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - May 25 2005 :  09:01:21 AM  Show Profile
That's a terrific idea jpbluesky! I love reusing things and making them new again. Clare, I am with you on the old style bicycles and a basket. I was telling my coworkers that yesterday and they all think I am crazy!
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2005 :  10:03:54 AM  Show Profile
Here's something else to try, besides the embroidery: I have a denim blouse (which I bought) which has a shirttail hem, with a couple of rows of buttoms all along the bottom. Not only is it decorative, but the small weight of the buttoms keeps the blouse from flying up in the wind (it's sort of a wide style). Now at another store I saw some capris decorated with buttoms along the bottom also - but I'm not buying them, I'll just raid my buttom box to do it myself.

Cecelia

ce's farm

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2005 :  10:33:13 AM  Show Profile
Great idea Cecelia! Remember that "hippie" embroidery everyone had on the bottom of bell bottoms? The hippie look is hot right now. I'd like to find some of that embroidery tape to put on the bottoms of capris. I am trying to find a pattern for a long tunic to sew to wear over my swim suit ( not into flashing the body anymore) and to wear alone for a dress. Some women wear them over pants too. I like the tunics, they are comfortable and flattering.

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  06:52:25 AM  Show Profile
I've cut down a dress to make a tunic - you just need a looser fitting dress. I've also made sleeveless camisoles and tops from dresses. If you don't have an appropriate dress to cut down, try looking at Goodwill, etc. because some of the newer dresses are too fitted to use for a tunic or top.

Cecelia

ce's farm

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  08:12:00 AM  Show Profile
Great ideas Cecelia! I have done that with sewing patterns if I liked the top and cut off the dress part to make a shirt, but never thought (duh!) about doing that to ready to wear!
Meadowlark--Last year I made a coverup from a chinese jacket pattern and made it out of a soft cotton lace(tablecloth, actually!) and used some antique mother of pearl buttons for the closures. I had more people ask me where I had gotten it and I just smiled and said "Oh this really cool woman makes them, I get alot of my clothes there!" Yes I know...bad m,e but you would have to know what I am dealing with here in suburban "you can't have something different than me" land! I wasn't totally bad however, I did make some chintz ball caps and totes for these same people that summer! Happy sewing!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Making Capris Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page