Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Buying vs. Mending something loved for gift
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Buying vs. Mending something loved for gift Next Topic
Page: of 2

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  06:51:09 AM  Show Profile
Hey all--I wanted to get some opinions on whether you (or the men in your life) would appreciate this...

My husband is a working musician, and last Spring bought a vintage Gibson Gospel guitar (1972). It was a consignment item, one owner, with all the original paperwork (including the sales slip!!!), and about two months of having it, the frets separated from the sound hole...so he couldn't play it anymore. He's been heartbroken ever since, and thinks it's a goner. He last remarked that it would cost at least as much as he paid for it originally to get it fixed....Money has been terribly tight, and we just haven't had it to spare. Heat and electric come before a guitar. He doesn't say much to me about it, but I know from his bandmates that it really makes him sad.

So, I got it in my head that as a Christmas gift, I would get it repaired. I asked music folks around the area for referrals, and found this AMAZING luthier in Rising Sun, Indiana who fixes instruments for Ricky Skaggs and Vince Gill etc...so I swiped the guitar from the practice space and took it to get an estimate. It's fixable and fairly reasonable, too.

I was going to get him a few other smaller "tangible" things, but this would be his major gift. What do you think? Is that stupid? I mean, it's not NEW or anything like that, but it would be a great surprise. That is, if he doesn't notice it's missing from the practice space!!!!!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  06:56:01 AM  Show Profile
I think it is a great idea. You know the greatest gifts are from the heart not the pocketbook or the size of the item. He was heartbroken when the guitar broke so what better gift than to fix a broken heart. Good luck, MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  07:01:05 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
No, I think it is great ideaI have an antique gold pocket watch that my little brother took a rock two when I was about 12 years old.
The watch is worth about 1000.00. When he broke it, it belonged to my mother who tossed it in the garbage as useless. I retrieved it and kept it in my jewlery box hoping to fix it someday.
Many years later my husband for an anniversary gift retrieved it from my box without me knowing and had the crystal replaced along with the broken watch fob and purchased a bell jar to hang it in. So now I can see it.

My husband new I was sad it was broken and it just sat in my jewelry box, this way fixed that is I get to use and see it. My mom wants it back now. To bad it is mine it was only worth something to her fixed not in its broken state. Some people are funny that way.

It sounds like your husband is like me and likes it no matter what state it is in. I bet if you fixed it no other gift is needed or wanted as that shows you love and care about what is important to him.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
my web stores www.sunshines.etsy.com and http://vintagethreads.etsy.com

Edited by - sunshine on Dec 04 2006 07:48:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  07:01:32 AM  Show Profile
It's a wonderful idea. It comes from a very loving place- who wouldn't appreciate that? How are you going to keep it secret though? :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  07:34:07 AM  Show Profile
I think it's a GREAT idea!
Last year I got Rob's watch fixed and he was so happy. I also ot him a back up watch in case his watch breaks again....LOL. He is a little hard on his watch.
I bet he would LOVE it is you get his guitar fixed!!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  07:49:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much! I don't know about you, but sometimes I get "ideas" that I think are brilliant, and then I tell someone and they go, "oh. hm.", so I wanted to make sure this wasn't one of those times :)

I don't know how I'm going to disguise that it's missing from the practice space, but there are about thirty guitars (all in black cases) there, so I'm sure it will just look like it's been misplaced....according to his bandmate, he hasn't picked it up since the summer, so I think I'm safe (cross fingers!)

Sunshine--how nice of your husband to fix your lovely watch for you. Little brothers!!!! My husband is like you--he really laments that this guitar can't be played. He was SO happy when he bought it, and showed it off for weeks on end, and though we discussed getting it fixed, he seemed to think it was a lost cause.

Tasha Rose--that's funny that you bought a "backup" watch! I think I learned my lessons on those with my husband--I bought a 1943 Bulova for our first Christmas together, totally reworked and gorgeous. A few months later on vacation, he jumped in the pool with it on--1943 Bulova's aren't waterproof to my knowledge. I ended up paying MORE than I originally purchased it for to fix it, but he wanted THAT watch. It really meant the world to him... Silly boys.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  08:05:12 AM  Show Profile
Definatly the guitar!!!!!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  08:25:26 AM  Show Profile
I would say it's the perfect gift. Gifts aren't about money but about the love and thought you put into them and I'm sure it would mean more to him than anything new.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  10:18:34 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,
Seriously, if you can afford it, fix it! I got goosebumps just thinking about what a wonderful gift that will be to him. It doesn't matter at all that it's not a "new" gift. That guitar means something to him, and the fact that you realize that will mean even more to him. You go girl!!!
xo
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  12:54:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much---now I'm excited, too! Now, if I can just keep my mouth shut about it--I'm really terrible at keeping surprises!

Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  2:58:05 PM  Show Profile
LOL, the hardest part is keeping it a secret!

Fixing the guitar is probably the perfect gift. Brings the story of the Magi to mind.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  3:27:57 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, My musician son would love a gift like that more than most anything, so I suspect your hubby will too! Boys & their gee-tars! And don't you are tell! LOL
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  09:38:24 AM  Show Profile
Well, tonight's the night if he'll notice--they practice, so I'm hoping he doesn't notice the void behind the bass amp!

Has anyone seen the commercial for Travelocity (I think?) where the couple is approaching the front door of a relative, and the husband asks her name again, and the wife reminds him NOT to stare at her mole, and then he says, "Hello Aunt Mole"... That's me.

So, farmgal sisters, cross fingers. I have 20 more days.

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  12:07:56 PM  Show Profile
Jonni- I hope he doesn't notice! I think it is a wonderful and thoughtful gift that will tell him you were thinking about him. You did good! I think he will be so surprised and touched that you did this!
One Christmas without me knowing my dh took a very special watch that my Dad had given to my Mom when he returned from Iceland. It had needed to be repaired for a long time, so I hoped that someday we would fix it. You can't imagine the surprise and pure shock I had when he put that box on our bed as we were getting ready for a Christmas party. I just looked and he said" You're not done getting dressed yet". This was the watch my Mom always wore for" good" and I couldn't stop crying after I opened it! The jeweler's sister was at the party and she said "Do you know how much that watch is worth now?" I just smiled and said "It's always been priceless to me". I hope your husband feels the same way about the gift and especially YOU!!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  12:41:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Bramble! What a lovely story. I hope he gets as much joy from his fixed guitar as I have gotten from the encouragement and reminders about what "gifts" truly are. Loving thoughts and selfless acts from the heart.

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  08:11:20 AM  Show Profile
So Jonni,
Please tell us, how did it turn out!
Xo
Bonnie

O, Come let us adore HIM! www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  08:32:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh!!! I only had the call ticket because the luthier was really busy making guitars for Ricky Skagg's bluegrass band (!!!!), so it won't be ready until after the 2nd. But, I put the tag in a beautiful little box that hung on the tree and kindof forgot about it! When we were opening gifts, I kept thinking, "seems like there's something else...." Duh!!!! When I gave it to him, he was just gobsmacked. He can't wait to go and pick it up from the shop with me. He wanted to hear EVERY detail from the very beginning--how did I know about this luthier (Jamon Zeiler--great name or what???)? What does his shop look like? And ultimately, how did I swipe the guitar without him noticing?
You girls were SO right--he said it was the best and most thoughtful gift anyone has given him besides me saying "yes"....Awww.

Thanks for asking, Bonnie!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  08:38:30 AM  Show Profile
This has been the best thread to read! I feel like a story should be written for your family to read through the years about how you found, and fixed the wonderful guitar. Write it down! Keep it in your heart and your family. A lovely lovely gift you gave!

Ephesians 1:17
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  08:46:44 AM  Show Profile
Awwww...it turned out just how I imagined!!! I am so glad!
Thanks for sharing!

O, Come let us adore HIM! www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  1:04:05 PM  Show Profile
Ohhhhhhhhhh Jonni! I have been wondering how this all turned out. It's like a Christmas love story. Perfect. You have all our little romantic girl hearts a flutter!
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  1:52:03 PM  Show Profile
I know that fixing the guitar was the perfect gift for him. My husband fixed up my Grandfathers old rocker for me for my b-day. Everytime I sit in it I can see my Daddy Jack. That was the BEST gift I had ever recieved.
So.....how did it go?
Laura
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  06:05:22 AM  Show Profile
*update*
I just wanted to tell you girls that we are heading to Indiana on Saturday morning to pick up the guitar. It's fixed and the luthier said, "sounding deep", which I think is hippy speak for "great"!

I just wanted to thank you all for your kind words and encouragement in this. I'm really very glad that I brought my question to such thoughtful people, and that you were so kind to help.

I'll take a photo of it maybe, if you're interested, and post it when we get it back. I think it's going to be the "home" writing guitar, from now on, so he can keep an eye on it!

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  06:11:11 AM  Show Profile
Oh how exciting Jonni! I am so glad it worked out! Yes yes yes, show us pictures!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  06:11:56 AM  Show Profile
What fun to get to watch him write at home with this guitar. You will be twice blessed with knowing how much the gift meant to him and the pleasure of listening to them both! I'm glad this turned out so well! YAHOO! (and I don't mean the internet!)

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Feb 14 2007 07:34:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  04:30:47 AM  Show Profile
Don't know how I missed this thread earlier.....Wow, wonderful story. I agree that this was the most thoughtful, loving gift and afterall, isn't that what it is all about?

AND.....how did it all turn out. Is it deep?

G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  07:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I missed this, too. Did you post a picture? Jonni, you are one of the most thoughtful gift givers ever. The signed Tasha Tudor book for your godson, and fixing this wonderful, vintage(gee, it's hard for me to call stuff from my youth 'vintage') guitar. You rock! You really do!!!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic Buying vs. Mending something loved for gift Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page