Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 My Goofy Son Ate Uncooked Bacon...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic My Goofy Son Ate Uncooked Bacon... Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2015 :  4:23:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

UGH... I swear... The kid is going to kill me. I had to run some errands, told him that there was leftover ham if he got hungry and went on my merry way. I came home and he chuckled: Did I also have bacon in the fridge? I said, of course, that we had just gotten our smoked meats from the pig this past week. I left a little in a baggie for breakfast tomorrow. And then my beloved son tells me that he mistook the bacon for ham and had it in a sandwich. Ugh... How could one NOT know???? GROSS!!!

So, here's my question: I have read both that it WILL make him sick or that because it was smoked it would not. Does anyone know which it is? It seems that the main factor is the amount of salt used in processing(?), but our pig guy doesn't use a lot of salt when curing his bacon. I am so sick to my stomach just thinking about the implications. Should I get him to the doctor this coming week? Should we just wait and watch to see what happens? Should we or should we not be concerned? I'm probably going to be concerned, either way, but I sure could use your insight, girls! I can't call his physician until Monday. If I call the answering service, they will just make me take him to the ER, which is probably not necessary (they ALWAYS send us to the ER for even the silliest calls!). So, thanks so much in advance for your help!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

www.papercraftingwithnini.ctmh.com

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2015 :  5:02:10 PM  Show Profile
I do not think it is possible to know for certain if it will or will not make him sick. Trichinosis (hmmm not sure if I spelled that right) is carried by worms in affected/infected pigs. If the pig has the worms, and depending on how many, will determine if he gets sick and how severe. Smoking kills some, but there is no guarantee it kills them all... again IF and how severe the pig was infected. Blood tests can determine if he has it, and medications can be given. I think symptoms come within a week. In any case, I would recommend taking him in to get tested on Monday, to be on the safe side, as the effects can be anywhere from mild (think the flu) to severe. In the meantime, do you have any activated charcoal??? If you do, have him take doe mixed in water. It will help pick up and flush out the worms.

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2015 :  5:04:28 PM  Show Profile
On a slightly different note.... it blows my ind he mistook bacon for ham. Silly boy!!!! Just shows that even as an "adult," he still needs his momma ;) We all do from time to time :) Of course, as a fellow homeschooler, I could just say.... "oh my.... homeschoolers" ;) That is what I say whenever my kids do something goofy :)

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2015 :  8:14:43 PM  Show Profile
Thank you SO much, Shannon! I really appreciate this! I know... I KNOW!!! He KNOWS better than this... A few weeks ago, our neighbor brought us real Italian prosciutto, and it looked a lot like our ham we had the other night, as well as the bacon. You would THINK, however, that he would know that even if it WAS ham, it wouldn't have been sliced so dang thin or be so dang bacon-y or be so dang chewy and have more fat than usual! In his defense, however, our pig guy makes our bacon pretty thick, and it has very little fat on it - it's mostly meat, which is AWESOME! So, I can KIND OF see how he COULD have made the mistake... But still... REALLY??? YUCK!!!! I think he just ate it because he was in a hurry to make something quick to eat then get back online to his friends on XBox. A new game came out the other day, and they were all playing together. He just wasn't thinking. I read all the scary possibilities to him (because, at first, he and Dad thought I was exaggerating!!! MEN!!!!), and then he started taking it a little bit more seriously. I am just so upset. I know it's not the end of the world, but I really don't want my kid to be sick with parasites or wind up in the hospital. Is there ANY way for me to figure out if the meat has worms??? I didn't see anything in our ham, but that doesn't mean anything, right? UGH. I swear he gave me 100 more gray hairs tonight... If he doesn't quit doing crazy things like this, there won't be enough Miss Clairol in the world to help me gracefully enter into old age!!! LOL!

I don't have any activated charcoal... Where can I purchase that? I will gladly make a run out to the store, if it will help. Geez oh man. Geez oh man.

Eghads and little fishhooks... I will call his doctor on Monday. Please say a prayer that all goes smoothly, painlessly, and that he doesn't get sick!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2015 :  12:09:27 AM  Show Profile
How is your son???

I buy my activated charcoal online..l either bulk herb store or mountain rose herbs. It has been great to have on hand!

Yup pork has worms more often than not :/ If you look at the foods the Israelites were not originally allowed to eat, there is a really good reason for each of them! Swines only have one stomach, eat just about anything, and are home to worms and bacteria galore. That is why you should not eat undercooked pork! Even when they are on a healthier diet and you raise them yourself, because of how their bodies were created, they are still hosts to all that "good stuff."

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2015 :  12:55:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Shannon! Thanks for asking!

He seems to be okay... I called the doctor's office and they said to watch out for any signs of diarrhea or vomiting. If so, they said to give them a call. They had a good laugh over it, actually. When I spoke with them Monday they felt that it was probably all out of his system already, but we still need to watch. I'll keep an eye on him, for sure! :)

I was taught also that since pigs do not sweat, all of the toxins remain in their body their whole life, with the exception of anything they excrete through normal channels and through their feet. That is apparently another reason why they were not allowed to eat the meat - it could've been poison! My understanding is, though, that nowadays the pig's diet is much better than it would have been back then, and with modern veterinary science, incidence of illness and toxicity is much more rare. HOWEVER, it's always better to be safe than sorry!

I still can't believe he did that...

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3953 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3953 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2015 :  2:41:14 PM  Show Profile
I know your son does crazy things and I believe you would have it no other way. He seems as if he is quite a risk-taker. I know you wouldn't want him to change.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  07:15:56 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad that your son has not shown any negative symptoms. Which I'm sure you and he are as well.

Now that you've made it through this, it will certainly be a story to tell for years...maybe even at his future wedding one day.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic My Goofy Son Ate Uncooked Bacon... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page