katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  09:13:50 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone planted a "Bean Soup Garden'???
I was perusing through an old garden magazine when I cam across this great idea... a little to late now,,, but for sure next year..

Simply plant 5-9 different types of 'soup' beans,,,(pinto, black, kidney, blackeyed peas, etc.)
at end of season dry the beans on a tarp, hull the beans and store until you are ready to make a pot of bean soup.
It takes about 1 lb., of dried beans for a family sized pot...
Soak the beans in water over night, rinse then cook (slow)them as you would any pot of beans..

How fun to be able to grow the type of beans you like for your soup.
Plus if you have children, you could have them help from planting, watering, harvesting, drying, hulling and even preparing the soup..
Darn,,, now I really miss my grandkiddos,,, I would for sure do this with them.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Nov 04 2015 09:16:00 AM

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  8:06:03 PM  Show Profile
That's so cool, Gracie! Very cool! My hubby took down our pool last summer, and now we have a whole section of yard opened up for more garden space. I would LOVE to do that! We shall see! We shall see! Thank you for the inspiration!

And you know, it would be kind of cool if you did this and sent them pictures as the garden grows... At the end, you could send them each a jar of bean soup mix! For that matter, you could always send them beans to plant, too, and you could compare progress! It would be kinda like doing it together! ;)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

www.papercraftingwithnini.ctmh.com

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Nov 04 2015 8:07:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  10:53:54 PM  Show Profile
Grace, that sounds like a great plan. I'll try it.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  06:41:29 AM  Show Profile
I haven't specifically grown a 'bean soup' garden, but, I've grown various bush beans and harvested them. I like bush beans because you can grown a bunch of them in a 4 x 4 sq ft garden.

The first year I grew them, I tried to do a consecutive harvest. It didn't work quite as well as I wanted. There wasn't enough harvest to make a big pot. So, I decided that I'd grow all at once and just dry or can them.

Down here, I've had success with Black, Purple Hull, Blackeye, and Pinto.

I agree with your statement about kids....growing beans is great for them. The beans sprout quickly and grow relatively quickly. It gives a more immediate experience than some other plants.

Don't forget to save the best looking beans for next year's planting!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  06:55:53 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I have never heard of a "bean soup" garden .... but, I have heard of planting a "salsa" garden.

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  5:48:48 PM  Show Profile
Nini,, I like your thinking... what a great idea.

yep, I have heard of Salsa Gardens, Salad Gardens and Healing (Herb) gardens... but never 'Bean Soup' garden... though I would think it would be easy especially since the beans can be 'companioned' with other things in the garden since they (beans) grow vertical.

Oh and though my garden didn't fair well this year due to the drought,,, my 'gifted' Purple Hiacynth Beans grew onto my tree roses and then grew around the roses,,, awesome looking... just didn't have enough blossoms/beans to harvest,, but I did manage to get a couple of beans for next years garden.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Nov 05 2015 5:51:09 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Bean Soup Garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page