Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Harvesting black walnuts/ English walnuts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Harvesting black walnuts/ English walnuts Next Topic  

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2015 :  4:47:10 PM  Show Profile
I have a box of black walnuts, do I crack them open and let the meat dry, or do let them in the shells for a while? New to this, in the past I purchased them in a store already shelled out.

Thank you
Danyel
Farm girl sister 4202

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4222 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4222 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  02:46:31 AM  Show Profile
My dad would sit and crack black walnuts. once they outer shells dry out he would crack them. They are very strong tasting. he found that if you bake them for 15 minutes in the oven that would take would mellow the flavor out . I will ask him for more info and get back to you.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  5:45:12 PM  Show Profile
We kids would pick up the nuts, and put them on the old driveway. Dad would run back and forth over them with the car. That would take the husks off. We would let the nuts and husks dry on newspapers for a few days on the garage floor. Then finish removing the nuts from the husks. When the nut shells seemed dry we would put them into buckets and haul them to the basement. Then mom would take a hammer to a bowlful at a time. (She didn't trust this job to us kids. She was afraid we would smash them too small, and the nut meats wouldn't come out as big as she liked.) Then as long as they would last through the winter she would sit in the evening picking walnuts out of the shells. Yummy! They make great gifts too. Black walnuts sell well at farmers markets around here. DD and I will be doing this during winter this year. I didn't know about baking them for 15 mins. to mellow flavor. I would love more info on that, Michele.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Harvesting black walnuts/ English walnuts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page