True Blue Farmgirl

313 Posts

Angela
Louisville MS
USA
313 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  08:52:08 AM  Show Profile
Hey everyone,
So I was reading on cover crops here in chat and lost where I was, which is not unusual for me. Anyway, a cover crop we are going to try this year is our purple hull peas. Peas put nitrogen back into the soil and maybe as warm as it has been here (in the 80's) we may actually get a few peas in the process. I hope this information helps someone out. I really appreciate all of you and I love these craft swaps also. I am so excited to be one of your sisters!!

Farmgirl hugs,
Angela#6681

Farmgirl Farming on Faith!

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16401 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16401 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2015 :  8:03:49 PM  Show Profile
Angela, planting peas for nitrogen is something farmers do a lot of around here. Yesterday my husband planted quite a bit of dry land pasture grass and then today we had our first rain in a while. It's been very dry. Perfect timing!! Again, welcome Sistah!!!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2015 :  5:02:56 PM  Show Profile
Angela, my hubby and I planted peas which are growing now and we'll use those for a cover crop. Let us know how your cover crop does.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Cover Crop Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page