melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  10:39:23 AM  Show Profile
I've pulled my geraniums off the front porch railing and brought them inside as well as a beautiful full bodied thyme plant. Any suggestions about keeping them fresh and green and thriving over our long northern winters? I've tried in the past to no avail, but I won't give up!!

I have a gi-normous rosemary plant that I have been bringing inside for 3 years and that seems to do very well over the winter placed along a long-low kitchen cupboard with two huge windows that are facing the north.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated--

Melody

Edited by - melody on Sep 10 2015 1:17:22 PM

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  1:57:20 PM  Show Profile
Years ago my late father and I did cuttings of geraniums and overwintered them here in the Chicago area. They did great in dad's basement that had sunshine pouring through the windows. Dad did overwater a few though and they didn't make it. We did have quite a few that did escape dad's love and they did just fine the following summer. We put a tad bit of fertilizer in the soil when we first started the cuttings.

Good luck and keep trying, a true gardener never gives up!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  2:07:12 PM  Show Profile
Geraniums are heavy feeders and like fresh potting soil so pot 'em up in something new before you bring them inside for the winter. They also appreciate a good trim. It will encourage new, healthy growth and flowering. And of course, if you stick the stem cuttings in some plain 'ol water they'll root like anything.

Thyme is tough since it like so much sun and hates wet feet. Make sure you put your thyme on a tray of pebbles an fill the tray with water to increase the humidity inside, this will help stave off powdery mildew and insect pests. Water it only when mostly dry. Best of luck. Oh and cut the thyme and use it, it will encourage new growth under the indoor lower light conditions and the new growth will be adjusted to the difference in light from the outside.

Good luck!

If your dream doesn't scare you to death......it's not big enough.

The Fearless Farmgirl
www.fearlessfarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Over Winter Plants? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page