True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Carol
Pulaski Tennessee
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  12:08:30 PM  Show Profile
Hello—

After lurking in the forum for about a month now, I feel the time has come to make my presence known. I’d like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Carol, and I am Sister #6586. :-) After being laid off from two different positions over the course of two years, I now work from home and spend much of my time on the computer. Hence, when I do get a few free minutes, I like to do anything but spend extra again on the computer.

Anyhow, let me tell you a bit about me. I feel like I have evolved to become my grandmother. I live on a small farm in Enon, Ohio. At one time I had llamas, but I have scaled down a bit and now only have the dogs, cats, rabbits, and chickens. Yes, my husband and I do process some of the animals for food, but many of them are a part of our furry family as well.

I’ve read the Mary Janes Farm magazine for a while now, and I can’t believe I have now found a group of like-minded sisters. I radiate towards the simpler times. I want to slow down and yet I still feel caught up in the rat race from time to time.

So, perhaps we can share some stories over a glass of sweet tea sometime. I can’t wait to get to know all of you!

Carol
Sister #6586

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  1:26:23 PM  Show Profile
Hellloooooooo Carol!!! Welcome! I'm so happy you've joined us! You really are going to love it here! I had to laugh when you said you feel like you've evolved into your grandmother - ME TOO! I think our grandmas would be so pleased! :) I'm very much looking forward to getting to know you better! Again - Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

www.papercraftingwithnini.ctmh.com

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  2:15:36 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Carol! You did your "lurking" very well; I don't think any of us had a clue! I couldn't agree with you more about the computer. The more you have to do there, the less you want to do there. One thing I've noticed about the "rat race" you mentioned...have you ever thought about how angry and unhappy those little 'rats' are? I think we're on the right path.

Keep smilin' and glad to have you join us!

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
'The Simply Lived Life' blog http://www.wandasturrock.com/website/blog/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13617 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13617 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  2:39:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
WElcome Carol!
I think you'll love the Connection!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  3:33:04 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Carol! So glad to have you join us!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  4:47:35 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Carol!! I am so glad to meet you and hear about your interests! Yes, I cam identify with the Grandma image as I hold my own grandmother in very high regard. She was a true/blue Farmgirl and I still remember our visits to their farm as children and her woodturning stove and outhouse. It was an experience that remains etched in my mind and I think has something today to do with my own Farmgirl at Heart ! Keep us posted on what you are dong in between computer work!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2015 :  04:42:43 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Carol, so good to meet you and I will be looking for your post around the farm.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

CountryGalPal
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Carol
Pulaski Tennessee
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2015 :  06:09:07 AM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I already feel a bit warm and fuzzy. ;-) It is really nice to finally find a place with some many people sharing similar interests.

Nini--I would have to agree with you. I do hope my grandmother is looking down at me favorably. When she passed, I ended up getting her old recipe boxes. It is funny because Grandma didn't use a lot of precise measurements or cooking times. You'll find recipes that say to cook 'til done. Ok, I find it rather funny. One of the family recipes is for her date nut pudding. She made it all the time at the holidays. I think I am the only one in the family that has the recipe and can actually make it just like Grandma. It is almost a tradition now. I just wish my children had an interest in preserving a bit of the past. Perhaps that will change in time.

Wanda--I've managed to stay in touch with a few people from where I used to work. Given the changes that were coming down the pike, I do suspect I am definitely more happy with how my life is unfolding than they are. No, I don't make as much money as I used to, but I have a lot more flexibility and a whole lot stress...and my bills are all still paid.

CJ--I think so too!

Shannon--Thank you!

Winnie--Years ago, I used to get to spend a week at a time with my grandmother over the summer when school was out. She would wake you up early and expect you to work, but she always had goodies in the pantry to reward me for a hard day's work. I still remember her waking me up with the laundry basket on her hip and telling me it was time to get moving because we needed to get the clothes hung on the line to dry.

Sara--Yes, I will see you on the farm!

Carol
Farmgirl Sister #6586
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2015 :  06:47:09 AM  Show Profile
You talking about your grandmother has brought back a lot of recipes this morning! My grandmother lived right behind my parents, so we saw her often. Whenever my parents went out of town, which was quite often, it was she that came and stayed with us, making sure we got off to school alright, and were fed. Growing up I did not take advantage of listening to her stories, or learning from her. Then, she got Alzheimers and passed in her 60s. I miss her terribly! She was one that loved hard work - even if it meant doing things the harder way. She did not believe vacuums got the carpet clean (which they don't, lol), so when she was with us, we had to sweep the carpet with a broom :) Oddly, I do not remember her canning or preserving, but she always had her clothes on the clothesline and hated using the dryer even in the winter. Her gardening was limited to a shade garden of flowers in pots, but I really enjoyed helping her tend her flowers. Fond memories... thank you for helping them come back to life!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5075 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5075 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2015 :  12:25:49 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Carol!! You brought back memories of my Granny and Great- Granny who was a farmer's wife.

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

CountryGalPal
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Carol
Pulaski Tennessee
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2015 :  05:57:07 AM  Show Profile
Shannon and Connie--

Sometimes I feel like I must be getting old reminiscing like this. Still, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. All the memories take me back to happy places.

Carol
Farmgirl Sister #6586
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2015 :  2:19:47 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Carol. Enjoy your time with us. I look forward to reading your posts.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2015 :  2:59:32 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Carol!!!

Glad you have joined. The ladies here are wonderful. I love that you have your grandmother's recipe box, what a blessing!!!!

I look forward to getting to know you!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CountryGalPal
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Carol
Pulaski Tennessee
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  05:08:42 AM  Show Profile
Marly and Sharon-- I am truly glad to be here. It is starting to feel like one BIG family. Ok...time for a group hug. ;-)

Carol
Farmgirl Sister #6586
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  07:16:10 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to our one big family, Carol! Yes, a daily cup of tea and some idyll time chatting with like-minded sisters--always a good way to spend time. Like the creator of Calvin and Hobbes said: "There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Bevie
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Beverly
Wenham Massachusetts
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  07:39:33 AM  Show Profile
I am new here as well. My maternal Swedish grandparents were homesteaders in northern Canada. My paternal grandparents were city dwellers, painters and, lovers of nature. I feel blessed by them!

Bevie
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  1:00:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm up for a group hug!!!!

((((((((((((((((((((((HUG))))))))))))))))))))))))

Welcome Bevie!!! I grew up in a small town in MA called Easthampton. I bet New England is looking really beautiful right now with the leaves changing (or is it more towards October, it has been too long!)

I know that you will love it here also and look forward to getting to know you too!!!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

guineahen
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  4:22:18 PM  Show Profile

I've often wished I could be like my Grandfather, not Grandmother. He could build or fix anything with next to nothing to work with.
He was outside most of the time and could make anyone feel welcome.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  7:05:24 PM  Show Profile
Welcome from Minnesota. I am home on my computer too. With a whole lot of quilting going on.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Bevie
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Beverly
Wenham Massachusetts
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2015 :  05:02:55 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for your welcome! I'm home from delivering papers for a friend at 4a.m. I already cleared some brush today and fed the menagerie. It's akready hot at 8a.m.! Oh, well, the chores continue despite the weather :-)

Bevie
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2015 :  07:52:47 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Welcome to Farmgirls!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

My Avon

www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  05:29:07 AM  Show Profile
Hello and welcome to both Carole and Bevie! I'm so glad you're both here, it's a amazing group and I know you'll love it. I'm right there with you; if I could live up to the examples of my grandmothers and great-grandmothers, I'd be mighty proud! Hugs!
Go to Top of Page

Bevie
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Beverly
Wenham Massachusetts
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  08:49:49 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the welcome! I grew up in the inner city as my Dad was an inner city pastor. We spent Sundays and vacations camping, on the farm, and generally enjoying nature. I always said I was going to live on a farm. My Mom said I might not want to do all the work but, she also acknowledged that it might be in my blood! She grew up on a homestead with lots of work but it was her favorite place on earth. She also enjoyed living in the city as she was a people lover. Mom always composted, gardened, and made everything from scratch. We all learned domestic arts from her as well.

Bevie
Go to Top of Page

CountryGalPal
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Carol
Pulaski Tennessee
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  10:23:46 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane-- I love the Calvin and Hobbes quote. It does seem to be quite fitting. :-)

Bevie-- Welcome to you as well! My grandmother was originally from Newfoundland Canada, but she became a naturalized citizen in the US as a young adult.

Sharon-- Awww...gee. Thanks for the hug.

Andrea-- I can only relate to one-half of my lineage. The others are strangers to me??? Anyhow, my grandfather died when my father was only 3 years old. So, I never really had the chance to know him. Still, my grandmother did later re-marry, but he also died when I was younger. I didn't know much about him except that he enjoyed playing cards and running the tractor on the farm. Still, we can cherish the memories we do have, regardless of the form.

Sherone-- Thanks!

Linz-- I am finding it almost addictive on here. I *really* want to get to know everyone more, but time doesn't seem to allow me the opportunity just yet...but I'm getting there.

Carol
Farmgirl Sister #6586
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Howdy All! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page