girl_friday
worker bee

15 Posts

Dory
Troy Idaho
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  09:06:30 AM  Show Profile
My daughter Elizabeth has asked me to post the following in her behalf.

Hello everyone,
I have actually been staying up here in Spokane sitting with Mahri and checking in on Meadow occasionally. Mahri is doing great, she just started drinking liquids and juices Tuesday and tried some soft foods Wednesday as well.

Originally they though she had broken both legs, but she shattered her right femur, the other leg was in pain from her multiple pelvic fractures. She also has a broken right clavicle and she does have a bruised lung. With everything going on she is doing amazing! Books would be a wonderful gift for Mahri. She loves to read. I bought her 7 books Tuesday and within 30 min she read 3 of them to her dad and me! She is an excellent reader,a bit more advanced than her actual read age. Right now she said she'd really like Christmas books, Cabbage Patch Kids books, Barbie/Princess books, or any other books that have a decent amount of reading with pictures and is kind of light so she can hold them with her very sore and weak arms.

Thank you everyone for keeping her in your prayers and sending her cards and gifts during this very scary and stressful time for her!

Elizabeth

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  09:57:05 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
for once it seems the words escape me. i have had these two little girls in my thougts and prayers ever since i read the post this morning, and will continue to pray for them.
i have subscribed to this thread so i can continue to see what the girls may need.
thanks for sharing with us this sad news so we farmgirls can do what i feel the farmgirls do best, support one another, and my prayers go out to all others who have been affected by the loss of this wonderful woman, her family, her mj family,...and her girls.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  11:41:17 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, I know it might be difficult, but maybe someone could keep track of what books are received so that Mahri doesn't get tons of the same ones? She is an incredible little girl...any word on little Meadow?

xxx susan

Lovin' my life
http://BizzyHands.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

girl_friday
worker bee

15 Posts

Dory
Troy Idaho
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  1:32:58 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth told me last night that she is in stable condition in the ICU
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  5:19:15 PM  Show Profile
I am just so sorry to read this news. I am going to check on the American Girl site to order some of those books for Mahri. I think she would love them, too. My daughter enjoyed American girl stories so much.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  5:35:40 PM  Show Profile
To CabinCreek and all the other ladies on the board, I ordered the set of books on Kit and the paperdolls of Kit. I remember spending hours as an 8-10 year old playing with Holly Hobbie paper dolls. They are to arrive in 5-7 days, and then I wil ladd my card and ship them on out. Please do not order or send the same books for Mahri.

I also know that you spend weeks recovering from those injuries as my nephew is still in recovery from a golf cart accident where he broke his femur and damaged his clavicle. She definintely wil lneed books and crafts she can play with while ahving her leg up. it will be probably at least 4 weeks before she will be allowed to use crutches even.

Does she still enjoy coloring? Maybe an art set with some plain drawing books, Mad Lib books and some detailed drawing books. Wouldn't you know I gave away all my daughter's paper dolls and detailed drawing books this fall to the library book sale. (On a separate note, the children's librarian's 8 year old daughter claimed them all for her own, so at least they are being loved by another little girl.) I found them all in Florida so I can't buy any new ones around here. Maybe one of you ladies can find more of these pocket paper dolsl (some are now punch out with clothes that "cling" instead of cutting them all out.) I think Dover puts them out.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  7:07:14 PM  Show Profile
bless your sweet heart clare! good to know .. the next trip i made to town .. i was going to go to barnes and noble and get the set of KIT books for her. i will find her some 'projects' to send along. will try and send her something monthly for awhile .. (i do this with each of my own grandchildren and will be happy to add her to my 'grandchildren' list.

i know that tragedy hits families all over the world .. but this little one certainly has touched my heart profoundly! i am especially concerned about little Meadow .. as, my new grand-daughter is about her same age .. they are so tiny, and fragile and helpless. I do pray she will be o.k.

thanks again clare!! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  7:10:33 PM  Show Profile
clare .. i surely meant to tell you how sorry i am too that your nephew has had an accident and is still mending. hugs to him.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Elizabeth
Spokane WA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  9:40:35 PM  Show Profile
I have told Mahri about this post and have even showed it to her, so was SO touched. As for the books she has she doesn't have any specific ones just a lot of random books that people have picked up for her. The only series type book she has is the first book in the series of Harry Potter.

Lately she hasn't been able to draw, color, or play any games due to her clavicle "her shoulder" hurting her so her dominant right hand is not very useful. What we have been doing for her is holding the books while she reads or we take turn, other than that she has just been watching movies, but she has been blazing through the movies the hospital has on hand. I couldn't tell you what movies she'd like because her opinion seems to change every day which is expected. We are just trying to get her to eat something, she keeps refusing everything but toast.

As for Meadow she is doing GREAT, she is still on 100% ventilator, but her the swelling has gone down considerably and her vitals are quite stable. We won't know anything for quite a while yet, but I can tell already that the prayers and love have kicked in for both of these girls!

Thank you,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2006 :  1:02:15 PM  Show Profile
God bless these precious little ones as they mend, and God bless all of you gals, too, for being the wonderful souls you are. Count me in, too. Nance
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2006 :  3:20:53 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad to hear that Meadow is doing well, too. I find myself thinking about these two little sweeties often during the day, hoping that the can somehow feel the love coming from all of the farmgirls here...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2006 :  11:04:39 PM  Show Profile
does little meadow need any clothes? my new little granddaughter, sofia catherine is just a couple weeks ahead of her in age i believe (born september 15) .. and has already outgrown her 0 - 3 months clothes .. lots of which she didn't even get to wear. i can ask wednesday to bundle some up if meadow is in need.

i'm so very happy to hear that response to these children has been overwhelming .. i'm so hoping that we all keep them in our hearts for a very long time. xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Elizabeth
Spokane WA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  10:11:32 AM  Show Profile
More GREAT news! Mahri has been transferred out of the PICU and is in an intermediate unit where she does not need to wear as many monitors and she gets to leave her bed even more, she is even starting to use the toilet and not a bed pan! They think she might get out of the hospital in 4-5 days as long as she starts eatting more, we did get her to eat a McDonald's happy meal yesterday! She has been getting so much love sent with all the gifts. He face literally glows whenever we tell her people have sent her some more gifts. When we were teasing her about how they'll need a U-haul to go home, she said agreed saying with all these gifts and toys she won't really even need a christmas, well except for her two front teeth!

I have even better news for Meadow! On friday she was looking great and I thought that was a great improvement, but yesterday they even took her off the ventilator and she is breathing 100% on her own. Mahri said she looks like a real baby now. It will still be a few days before we can hold her though. Yesterday she was wake and we got to see her eyes and she even could hold my hand! As for the clothes for Meadow that would be a great idea, except she is a lot bigger in the hospital than before, I believe she'll wear a 4-6 month clothes and then she'll have a little bit of growing room as well.

I'll make sure to keep you all updated on the girls and this is just amazing how well the girls are doing.

Thank you everyone for your prayers and gifts of loves.

Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  10:22:58 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the update on Mahri & Meadow. I have been so touched by this! I am so happy that they are doing better! I have gotten a few things for Mahri--coloring books & crayons, & a My Little Pony activity purse. Every time I go into a store, I have been looking for things for her. I told my daughter who is 16 about this & we both had to hold back the tears while standing in line. She said she will also make a card for them. I will also look for something for Meadow and get them out this week.

Thanks again... it makes my heart smile!
Kelly

Live! Laugh! Love!
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  10:33:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the update. I'm just thrilled to hear that the little sisters are doing so much better. They truly are our Christmas miracle children. I'll be sending a package off to them this week as well. Hang in there little ones, we're hopin and prayin for ya! Big hugs, Luanne

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  11:12:36 AM  Show Profile
so very glad to hear that the girls are doing better. I found Mahri a ballerina barbie and barbie knit cap and a few other little goodies and 2 darling outfits for Meadow. Will send them along on Monday.
Love and hugs to these precious darlings and the farmgals looking after them.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  1:03:47 PM  Show Profile
So glad to hear the great news!!! Thank you so much for keeping us informed. The whole family (including the MJF family) is in our prayers and will continue to be.
Farmgirl Hugs,
Kel
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  1:07:50 PM  Show Profile
This wonderful news warms my cold day up real fast!! I'm going shopping tomorrow so will look for some goodies for these two special little girls!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
And my new food blog at: www.homesteadblogger.com/gardencafe
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  8:24:56 PM  Show Profile
Prayers and best wishes to Mahri and Meadow - so glad they are doing so well. My two daughters have been scrapbooking, making cards, and we are looking out for something special to send along too.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  05:19:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I can't tell you how happy I am about Mahri and Meadow improving. As for the eating part, the anesthesia really interferes with your taste and stomach. It was weeks after surgery before my appetite returned and several weeks for Tyler to eat more than a few bites. Mind you, he is a big boy of ten and very active so we were all surprised about this. He wanted my canned peaches so I brought over 3 quarts. He then started eating them and some more other food.. Ask what she really has a craving for and supply it. hospital food really tastes yucky if you had surgery and had anesthesia. It just does not seem to agree with you. Maybe you can bring in some homemade soup or from a good deli if she likes it (chicken noodle in particular seems to go down OK.) That might start her back on the road to appetite and eating.

I am mailing off some Highlights Hidden Picture books today. Some come as "sticker" ones where you just place the sticker on the item when it is found. My kids still enjoy them so I think she might.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  1:37:20 PM  Show Profile
Greetings, farm gal pal Santa's elves! I bought a Holly Hobbie book from the Toot and Puddle series called "Charming Opal" for Mahri. Also bought a terrycloth little Beatrix Potter 'first book for baby' for the wee one. They'll go in the mail this week. Everybody have a great day. Nance
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  1:49:57 PM  Show Profile
sent off a box with 2 outfits for baby Meadow, a ballerina barbie, 3 small barbie activity books, some gel pens with feathers attached, a barbie knit cap, some cool girl stickers for Mahri..should get there in the next 5-7 days.
Get well wishes to both the girls.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  5:49:08 PM  Show Profile
I found a cute Christmas teddy bear with a baby bear today for Mahri and a little baby's first doll for Meadow. I took a picture of my mini donkey with a Santa hat on his head to make a Christmas card for Mahri. He looks so silly! Hopefully it will make her smile! I'll make sure this all goes out this week.

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  06:31:16 AM  Show Profile
I am sending off two books: E.B. White's the Trumpet Swan and The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo, and a plush Hello Kitty throw that I thought she could curl up (and read her many books!) through this long winter. I got the littlest one a tigger plush rattle

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Elizabeth
Spokane WA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  08:25:36 AM  Show Profile
The Latest

Mahri is going to be getting out by Monday, but it could be sooner because she is doing so great. She even has her own little pink walker that she has been practicing with. She is getting three meals a day now and her appetite is still increasing!

Meadow has been moved out of the intensive care unit and is in intermediate care and I swear she is looking better and better every day! She has been awake most of the day and we get to see her beautiful eyes and she holds our hand, but she still has a very long road ahead of her.

Both of the girls are now wearing real clothes too, which Mahri is excited about and says it makes meadow look more normal!

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts, prayers, and gifts!
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 **News from MaryJanesFarm: Previous Topic Stefanie and Mahri Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page