YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6986 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6986 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  05:21:10 AM  Show Profile
The other day the young woman that claims me as her 'little old lady' was telling me she had decided to use her good china for supper. Even if it meant having to wash it by hand.

She went on to say that she had one set of china in her china cabinet and two other sets under her bed. Saving them for a special occasion. She reasoned that she would either use her china or sell/give it away. As time goes by I think she will let go of two sets and keep her favorite.

Since talking with her I have been thinking about using my things rather than just looking at them or keeping them hidden away in some drawer, closet, or cabinet.

I started the other day by using my favorite tea pot & cup for my morning tea. I must say I enjoy my tea much more when I hold the pretty cup in my hand.

One of the hardest things for me to use is my collection of vintage linens. What if I spill something on it and can't get the stain out? Well, so be it. Linens are made to be used and enjoyed and not just displayed or hidden away.

Today I am using my 1940s Texas state luncheon tablecloth on little deck table. My sister is coming over for nibbles & wine. Yes, I will be serving red wine on the tablecloth. If all goes well it will make it through without a spot ~~~ if not I will just think of the stain as a reminder of a good memory.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6617 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6617 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  05:50:16 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I totally agree with you and your friend. Why have nice things if you don't use them? I think it is a matter of habit and perspective. If we have other cheaper options, it makes it easier to say to ourselves that we should use those all of the time in case they break or get a stain. But then, like you pointed out, the pretty things are hidden in boxes and cabinets gathering dust. Of the past 6-7 years, I have cleared out a lot of inherited dishes and linens after making the decision that I didn't want to use them for one reason or another. Now, I try and keep just what I know I will use and enjoy.

Also, a trick my sister taught me about wine or other fruit stains that always works. Heat a tea kettle with boiling water , hold the item over the sink and pour the hot water over each stain until it disappears. Then toss in laundry and wash in warm water. It has always worked for tough stains that are fruit based . Other stains I find usually work with an application of Shout it Out where you have at this little brush attached to work the stuff into the stain before washing in the laundry.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7527 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7527 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  07:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I have been using embroidered "southern belle" pillow cases and crocheted tablecloths that my Mom had and never used. They were embroidered by my mother or grandmother, they are beautiful, they are useful, and why shouldn't I be able to see them daily and friends get to see them, too.

I have been trying to "clean out" some of the stuff I no longer use. I remember having a garage sale after my mother passed away and having to sell so much stuff that had sat in cupboards for years. My siblings and I took what we wanted and sold the rest. But now some of that - like tea cups and dishes - is sitting up in my cupboards, not being used. Do I really need it all? Maybe someone else could enjoy it. But there is always those treasures that I just can't part with. Hmmmmmmm.

Thanks, Winnie - I will try the boiling water method sometime.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Aug 21 2015 07:04:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  08:02:22 AM  Show Profile
When I was a child bride, my mother-in-law gave me a set of Hints From Heloise books which were a Godsend on many many occasions. I particularly remember one essay in which a lady wrote a letter to Heloise. She said that her husband had given her a lovely silk bedspread/comforter as a special anniversary gift. He had selected it so carefully -- mindful of her favorite colors and how she had decorated their bedroom. She loved the comforter and said a very heartfelt "thank you," and then boxed it up in tissue and slipped it onto a shelf in the closet. When her husband didn't see it on the bed, he asked her if she didn't like it. She assured him quite honestly that she LOVED his gift, but that it was just too special to use for everyday and she didn't want to get anything on it, or pull a thread by using it, and that she was saving it to keep it nice. Years passed, and the comforter stayed on the shelf in the closet. Once in a while, her husband asked her about it, and she said she was saving it for special occasions -- it was just too nice and too precious to use.

Well, as you might imagine, eventually the husband had a heart attack and passed away. As the widow was going through the closet to tidy up, she saw the box on the shelf and was seized quite suddenly with the realization that she had robbed her dear husband of the joy of having given her his thoughtful and loving gift. She sat in the floor of the closet crying until her daughter came and helped her up.

From that day to the day she wrote the letter to Heloise, the comforter had been on her bed. She said there was a spot or two where one of the grandkids had dripped popsicle juice on it; even a pulled thread from where she had scooted her handbag across it in a hurry to get dressed one morning. But the comforter was on the bed. She slept alone, but comforted by her husband's sweet gift.

Her message was, of course, that there will never be anyone in your home who is more important than your family. Use the good china. Use the real silver. Use the wedding crystal. And wrap yourself in the beautiful silk comforter. We aren't promised tomorrow, and we only have today to love and appreciate one another.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7527 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7527 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  09:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
What a sad story. And just more truth to the fact that we should USE the things we love instead of shelving them away for a special occasion.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  09:35:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh Girls...I couldn't agree with you more. About 12 years ago...I looked at a beautiful set of Silverware
that I had received for my first wedding but only used for Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinners. Maybe Easter
too. And I thought what in the World am I saving them for???? I love the Rose Pattern, they are a delicate
and easy to handle (some can be so heavy) and why are they setting in this box year after year only getting
used 3 times? Well my current husband is a big guy and he thought they were just too delicate...he likes
a manly fork and knife. At first I was disappointed but soon solved the problem by purchasing him a Cheap
set of stainless steal at Target. He loves his set and I love my set and we are both Happy!!! ~ Also, I recently
inherited my Grandmothers Silver and passed it on to my youngest son and daughter in law...as they now do
all the Family dinners and I told them NOT to save them for Special Occasions.

I also use all my hand embroidered Linens and enjoy them so much!!!

I felt terrible about the story of the woman with the bed spread that she stored in her cupboard. The Poor
husband must have felt terribly hurt that she didn't use it.

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6986 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6986 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  09:51:16 AM  Show Profile
Ladies I have loved all your stories ~ a sad one ~ others full of joy. Your stories have re-enforced my desire to use my things. I'm going to go through all my linens and what I can't use or repurpose I will find them new homes.

Don't you think the end of summer and the beginning of fall is the perfect time to begin new habits - like using our finery for everyday life.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  10:38:42 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I agree! My mom didn't have a lot of linens that I was able to "cabbage" onto but I did find a wonderful pair of embroidered pillowcases with red roses on them. I have lots of other wonderful linens that I've either purchased (usually from a thrift store) or have been given to me. I use the to decorate and change things out with the seasons. I also use hankies to decorate . . . I have some that were belonged to my mother-in-law, some that belonged to my oldest brother's wife (she passed away) and many that were gifts. I use them mostly in my bedroom and bathroom (I change the bathroom decor seasonally as well)

My daughter and I also use vintage linens and cloth tablecloths when we glamp. Yes, the tablecloths usually get things spilled on them and the other linens, if hanging close to the ground and it rains, get wet and sometimes dirt splattered up on them. Oh well! We use, them, enjoy them and wash them as necessary.

While we out glamping this summer, if we spilled something like coffee, tea, wine, or something that stains dark, Robin used a bit of dish detergent and baking soda to pretreat. It worked very well! I use Shout Advanced stain remover at home and I'm going to put on my glamping list to have a small spray bottle of that to pretreat when we're out. That works well too!

Come time for fall decorating I'll be getting some linens out that are more fall-ish looking!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Aug 21 2015 10:40:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7527 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7527 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  11:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
When my Mother passed away I found a set of Silverware that I had never seen before. I have it here and it is beautiful! I have not used it yet but I definitely will. I don't know why she never mentioned it. Sad.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6617 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6617 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  11:32:24 AM  Show Profile
This is a great topic, Sara! It has been fun reading what other Farmgirls have experienced and the lessons they have learned in the process. And everyone knows me and I would say Fall is like a welcomed rescue from the long hot Florida Summers. With cooler temps, it is a great time to dig out those old boxes of special things and reconsider how they now fit into your life. Plus, you can do it without sweating to death in the process!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  2:51:15 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 10:47:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2015 :  12:23:17 PM  Show Profile
Sara, thanx for starting this topic... I am glad to see I am not the only one.
I am such a firm believer of: use it today... for tomorrow may never come...

How is it we will pull out the fine china, table cloth etc., for 'Guests'...
Shouldn't we treat ourselves and our family as Guests... are we not worthy of 'the good china'?...

I would rather enjoy my belongings now then pass away and pass them down only for the recipient to sell them in an Estate Sale...
How silly is that?

My everyday dishes are vtg. 'Tickled Pink by Vernonware'... and my everyday silverware is South Seas by Community.
Vernonware was bought out by Metlox in the late '50's and Community was bought out by Oneida on the late 60's...
I enjoy knowing that I get to smile everyday, I am the Guest and I don't fret if a dish gets chipped or broken... at least it is getting used by my family, my friends and most important... by me!

and this is just the left side of the cabinet,,, the right side has more Tickled Pink dishes and coffee pot etc... like I said.. I love using them.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Aug 22 2015 12:33:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2015 :  8:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Great topic girls. My dad used to give his mother a new flannel shirt every Christmas. She loved them. When she died he discovered all of them in drawers unused. I use my stuff. I love to look at it. It's also fun to make up your own special reasons to decorate and use dishes and linens.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  04:01:56 AM  Show Profile
This is such a great topic. As I read each story I thought of different family treasures I have hidden away for "safe keeping." My grandmothers and great-grandmothers left me with beautiful things that they used every day, and I'm afraid to use them myself. Wouldn't they think in was being not only silly, but wasteful?! Thanks to all of your stories and ideas, I'm going to dig out those lovingly made treasures and make them useful again!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6986 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6986 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  05:29:41 AM  Show Profile
Ah, the stories keep coming and I'm loving it. So many hidden goodies just waiting to be cleaned, polished, & used again.

I washed my Texas state tablecloth and now to iron it. It washed beautiful ~ gave me hope for using the other vintage linens.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6986 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6986 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  08:38:33 AM  Show Profile
This morning I ironed the tablecloth and put a curtain rod pocket across the top. It now hangs on the lower half of laundry room window. Vintage waist aprons hang on a curtain rod with clothespins as a valance. I like the new look. The laundry room is now ready for fall.

The green striped table cloth I was using will be washed, ironed and put away until next spring. I now have a spring/summer curtain and a fall/winter one. I like easy seasonal decorating.

Edited by - YellowRose on Aug 24 2015 08:56:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  08:41:41 AM  Show Profile
Sara,,, great idea for using the table cloth and aprons!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7527 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7527 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  08:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Super Idea - I have a laundry room window and was thinking of aprons for a valance. You beat me to it! LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7527 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7527 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  08:54:57 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Are all those lamps in your shop, MaryJane? Love the new line of fabrics on the shades.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2015 :  9:51:05 PM  Show Profile
I used my non-heirloom but much-loved silver everyday for a few years for a funny reason - we moved, and all our staimless flatware disapeared! We never found it, and just used the silver, even though it required hand-washing. I could not afford, and did not want, to replace the stainless.
Then, after another move,we pulled out sone picnic stainless, and we were just too busy to hand-wash everything, so it's back to special dinners only for the silver!
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6617 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6617 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2015 :  11:59:04 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I love your curtain ideas! I bet it makes your home feel so warm, bright and happy. It just goes to show you that if you don't live on a farm, you can create the farm inside your home with tried and true farmhouse accessories that our Grandmothers had for everyday.

Speaking of aprons as a valence, MaryJane has a pretty apron valence on the window in her outhouse that I used at my visit this past Spring. Her outhouses are so glammed up with flowers, curtains and amenities, you don't even know you are using an outhouse. Totes adorbs!!

Grace those dishes are vintage adorable. How fun that you have such a nice set with serving pieces as well!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2015 :  03:52:29 AM  Show Profile
I agree, if you love it use it. And don't have things you don't love. ;) Same for clothing, and anything you own. Life's too short, to wait for that one special occasion
that never happens!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2015 :  04:56:22 AM  Show Profile
I have always been a hands on person. I have some beautiful collectibles and yes, once in awhile something gets broken because I couldn't keep my hands off it, but that only happens once every several years. The pleasure I get from using my 34 year old good china, linens, and gifts I've gotten over the years have always made me happy. We eat half our meals each week in our formal dining room and use every bit of our house. I don't see the point of having a "special" room without using it!

We never know what is around the corner for us, I believe in enjoying life and it's many blessings each & every day. Make every day special!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6986 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6986 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2015 :  05:23:38 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, I like your idea of using every room in the house, and not keeping one just for 'special'. I live in a little house so all my rooms get used daily and they have to do double duty. Each room has two or more activities that happen in it.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7527 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7527 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2015 :  08:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
In my 113 year old house, every room is used every day, by me, and by the cats. Only so many rooms.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2015 :  12:08:02 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Our house isn't all that huge or old. We rebuilt in 1994 after losing our log house to a fire. But EVERY room is used . . . used . . . and used! Sometimes I wish I had one more room, but it helps keeps us from collecting more stuff!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Using & Enjoying our Things Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page