Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Family keepsake Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2015 :  7:50:50 PM  Show Profile
Today I became the guardian of a piece of my family's history. It is an old photo album with pictures dating back to the 1880's. Some of them are the old tin plate pictures and most of them identify the person/people in the picture. I'm going to carefully sort out the loose photos and try to gently put them back in their original places. Which may be hard cause a lot of the pages are torn. There is a Baptismal record from 1898 and some other memorabilia.I love looking at old photos and the quality is often better than today's photos. I looked at a photo of my grandpa's family when he was young and he had a sister who resembled me.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7488 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7488 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2015 :  7:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
That is so special, Ellen. Be happy most are labeled. I have my mother's family's old family bible, and some tin types, and lots of scrapbooks. Unfortunately, my mother always complained that her mother never labeled anything. So, of course, most of the pictures are not labeled, and since all older members of Mom's family are deceased, they never will be labeled. They are still fun to look at.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2015 :  8:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Very, very special Cindy! Sounds like a true treasure.
I have my mother's photo albums which are old, pics from the early 1900s. She did some creative things with her photos too . . .she was into scrapbooking decades before scrapbooking was "in". The books are very fragile and, unfortunately, not everyone is identified in the pics.
I'm sure you'll enjoy your treasure!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Aug 12 2015 8:12:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2015 :  11:54:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cindy...that does sound like a rare treasure. My Aunt just died and we cleaned out her Apartment of 30 yrs
and we found some treasures in there too. We found more family photos than we could go through so my
son took them home to pour over at a later time. But I am sure that some are from the late 1800's too.

We found an Original Victrola before RCA took over the making of them in the 1930's. This Victrola was my grandmothers.
It has the original cereal number and License of authenticity on the back of it. The cabinet looks like cherry-wood or
mahogany and is in great condition. It had a bunch of the old Tins for it also. ~ We also found her hope chest from the
early 1940's and it was in great shape too.

And lots of Jewelry and even some of it was my Grandmother's.

It is fun to find pieces of our history isn't it? It helps fill in the gaps of what we have had passed down to
us verbally over the years.

I hope you enjoy restoring your Family Photo Album...it will be a Labor of Love...I'm sure.

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 13 2015 3:55:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

morganewilson
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Morgan
Knoxville TN
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  05:03:17 AM  Show Profile
I have many that are unlabeled...and then some really cool ones that are labeled...but like right above the heads of the people on the front of the picture. Drives me crazy lol. I would never think to write on the front of a picture.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  05:36:37 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful treasure you now have to keep and pass on! I too love to look at the old family photos from both me and my husband. It gives me a sense of the greater family that I have been lucky to have been born in. It is also fascinating to learn about the lives of those great-great grandparents too and see familiar family traits in the faces of those long ago relatives.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  09:25:06 AM  Show Profile

How neat!!!I love old things passed down!!!They are a priceless treasure!!!I have some pictures and things and wouldn't take anything for them...I have what I guess used to be called a "Hoosier Cabinet" that belonged to my mom!!!I love it beyond!!!My granny's apron hangs in my kitchen everyday!!!Love my treasures!!!

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

130 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  10:01:15 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - Ozark Farmgirl on Sep 27 2015 10:48:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  11:31:33 AM  Show Profile
A family history keepsake. How wonderful!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3440 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3440 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  11:34:26 AM  Show Profile
How lovely and indeed a treasure to have received. Thanks for sharing it really is heartwarming to here about treasures from ones past.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Family keepsake Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page