Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Frugality: Just-in-Time Household Inventory?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Frugality: Just-in-Time Household Inventory? Next Topic  

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  09:29:08 AM  Show Profile
Just was thinking about the stocking up method of household inventory versus the Just-in-Time method...

I work in manufacturing and it has been demonstrated over and over again that having "too much stuff" whether it is raw materials or work-in-process or finished goods contributes to higher costs, whether in keeping track of it, racks for storing it, moving it around, or obsolescence, keeping it clean, or having to rework it due to engineering changes. It costs money and resources if we make more than our customer orders.

But my frugal family has always been a "stocking up" kind of family. Buy it when it's on sale, or buy it when you are in town, or get it while it's still available....My grandmother, having lived through the depression, had stacks and stacks of empty margarine containers in her cellar when she moved out. She helped to raise us and I know the pack-rat syndrome definitely rubbed off on me.

The year I lived in Spain I was amazed to find that people went grocery shopping EVERY DAY! Most didn't have large refrigerators in their homes. So they went out in the morning, bought the food, and brought it home and prepared it immediately.

So how do you balance the amount of household inventory you keep?

Do you:
a.) keep 1 extra tube of toothpaste on the shelf, then restock when you open it,
b.) wait until you have squeezed out the next-to-last bit before you run out to buy more, or
c.) do you get the warehouse specially-priced 6 pack?

I think transportation costs definitely have to figure in to the equation somehow, so if you live way out in the country it might make more sense to do it one way rather than the other.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  10:07:26 AM  Show Profile
I tend to keep an extra or two of products that we CAN'T run out of...mostly toiletries like toothpaste, deodorant, tp, etc. I buy the warehouse packs of things like Ivory handsoap and flashlight batteries. Running to the corner store isn't possible living here. Food items...I buy case lots of things we use a lot of, for example organic diced tomatoes after I run out of my own, organic chicken broth for soups. I usually have jars of dried beans, grains, rice, pasta, etc. on the pantry shelf and keep them rotated and stocked, but that is more of a comfort (preparedness) thing. Also, organic flour and oatmeal I buy in large quantities and store them in the freezer so they remain fresh. I don't use any canned soups or much of anything canned really, but I figure it's wise to keep a tin or two on the pantry shelf (again the preparedness thing). I don't see the point or cost-efficiency in stocking up on things we may use one of in a year.
The rule here is if you use the last of something or notice we're almost out of it, WRITE IT ON THE LIST!! I grocery shop as little as possible except for fresh produce in the winter months.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  11:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I stock up when I have the money to stock up. Living paycheck-to-paycheck and trying to pay off debt is hard on us. So when we get a monetary windfall, instead of spending it on clothes, movies, and such like- Doug and I make a trip to Costco. We have plenty of storage space, and since we are paying the same rent no matter whether we use the space or not, I don't mind filling it with useful items. I don't worry too much about dusty my pantry shelves as nothing is going to be hurt by a little bit of dust which I wipe off before opening the whatever-it-is.

Mostly we shop on an as-need basis for fresh items like fruits and veggies. Other than that we are hoarders. :) We went through a rough couple of months a few years ago where we literally had no money to buy food and if hoarding can help get us through tough times- I am all for it :)
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2006 :  1:18:01 PM  Show Profile
Brightmeadow--I actually still shop that way (like the people in Spain). I lived in England for a time, and I didn't have refrigeration (a lot of people don't), so I'd decide what I wanted to have around lunch, go to the greengrocer, and the butcher and then home to make dinner. I still shop very much the same way, for food anyhow. It's just the two of us, and unless I make stews or something like that, I'm not that great about eating leftovers. I have the basics in stock (always grains, pastas and flours) and usually a stock of canned tomatoes, legumes and stocks, but overall, everything is purchased the day of. I stock up on meat in the summer at the farmer's market from a woman who has hormone free beef and pork (I bought about 50-75 dollars every other week) and that was a really smart move with my husbands sketchy money these last months. As far as cleaning and household supplies, I head to Target and usually will buy larger quantities, especially with $1.00 off coupons. With 4 dogs and 3 cats, papertowels HAVE to purchased in large quantities, and I really hate buying hand soaps and toothpastes, so I buy those in multiple packs as well.
The only thing that I'm really crazy about having stock off is dog and cat food and chews, treats, etc... when I have a pantry full of their food, I'm somehow content. Also, when we're out of chews, we hear about it!!!!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  1:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Until this past September, the nearest grocery store was 20 minutes away...and it was a small one. To get really nice supplies, we had to drive 40 minutes...so we definitely stocked up on everything. Now the convenience of a store 10 minutes away is mind-boggling! I can get fresh bread every day if I wanted to, I don't have to plan ahead on the main course if I don't want to...it is so freeing! It may not be big, but it has its advantages, and I am learning to like that...a lot!

Kelly

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  4:08:21 PM  Show Profile
I sympathize with the long drive. Usually I do my shopping on the way home from work since I drive right past a reasonably-sized grocery store. But Sunday night we were at my parents' house working on a computer issue with my stepmom until late, when I got home I realized we didn't have any milk for hubby's breakfast. So I got in the car and ran out to the store in town, I really hated doing that. It's only about 5 miles but it just seems like it takes soooo loooong late at night when I'm tired. And I hate wasting gas on a 1-item trip. My Aztek gets 18 mpg, so the round trip costs me a half-gallon of gas, about $1.10 this week. When you add that to the cost of the milk, it gets expensive!

I usually try to buy milk when we are down to 1/4 tank, so to speak....

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Nov 28 2006 4:11:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  11:56:50 AM  Show Profile
I always stock up on meat once a month from the grocery store when it goes on sale very cheap. But other than that, I shop for groceries and perishables once a week, and I only buy enough to last me and DH for just that one week. We always know that we have the freshest food that way.
But as far as toiletries and cleaning supplies go, I always stock up. Since DH and I both have stomach troubles, I always ensure there's lots of TP in the house!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  3:57:55 PM  Show Profile
Our nearest grocery/town is 20 minutes away, so we are definitely the stock up sort of folks. We too keep a running list that everyone adds to.
We have been stranded without electricity for as long as a week...so it's a big deal to have a well stocked pantry here, including bottled water.
We belong to a food co-op where we shop one a month. For a little extra work, we save a lot of money and get great items that we probably wouldn't splurge on otherwise! I try to plan meals according to what we get each month, and also what's in season during the warmer months.

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2006 :  03:49:59 AM  Show Profile
Alee,

I know all too well about the paychek to packeck thing we get paid ONCE a month To make matters worse, in December the powers that be think they are doing us a service by providing our January paycheck close to Christmas. That means going nearly 40 days w/ no income until the first day of February (hubby and I work for the state)

So I definitely stock up and store in the fatter months. We have limited storage, so we just get creative -then coast for the month of January
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2006 :  04:59:33 AM  Show Profile
The closest grocery is half an hour away, so I go as seldom as possible; trying to do it every two weeks. I wish I had a nice little greengrocer close by and could shop daily, but I don't; so I combine trips and have two or three shopping days a month. It saves me a ton of time in the car which could be used more productively someplace else, as well as bunch of gas.

I also buy meat in bundles from a terrific butchershop, and try to get more than one of something if it's on my list and on sale.

I've come to a point in my life now where the time means more than the money.
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2006 :  09:45:09 AM  Show Profile
Having lost our farm 12 years ago and not having anything, I do tend to stock up when I have the money. It seems to work pretty well for us. Our meat store down the road here has a meat sale wice a year so I save money and when the time comes, buy in bulk, separate it, and put it in the freezer. I also buy shampoos, toothpastes, and stuff like that and put it away. Having a big family keeps me stepping and I try so hard to have on hand what we need. I say whatever works for you and your family is good. After Christmas I am going to start weeding out things we don't use anymore. Susan
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Frugality: Just-in-Time Household Inventory? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page