cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  6:01:48 PM  Show Profile
Howdy Farmgirls,

Is there any way to get cat pee out of a down comforter without having to use the Dry Cleaners? We have the duvet cover going in a soak cycle with cold water and Bac-Out enzyme cleaner now, so hopefully that will work. But I can't stick the actual down comforter piece in the wash at all, right?

This is Day #3 with new kitty. The honeymoon is not over yet, but this little episode lost her some points!

Thanks for the tips!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  6:07:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Catherine, I take my down comforter to the laundromat and use the really big washing machine there. Then I bring it home and dry it in my dryer. I have to take it out and reposition it a few times during the drying cycle. It costs about 5 bucks for the wash. Is there care tag on your comforter? I was surprised that mine said I could wash it. Good luck!

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  6:08:57 PM  Show Profile
Yes you can. At least I have washed mine in the comforter and dried it and it came out fine. BUT it is box stitched so the down doesn't shift so much........if it isn't stitched down every few inches you will wind up with one big clump!

I'm afraid I'd be getting rid of the kitty! Course I'm allergic anyhow........

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

beckels
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

becky
warrington pa
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  6:53:43 PM  Show Profile
when you dry it - throw in some old clean tennis balls - that keeps it from bunching up
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  11:24:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh Catherine! What a disgusting problem to have! I can only say that because we had the same thing happen here. One of our kitties wet on my son's new down filled duvet-AND the $1600 laptop computer under it! Thankfully the computer was in a heavy case so it was untouched...but the duvet!
I took it to the laundrymat & put it one of the very large washers in the hottest water possible. I also poured "Lysol" brand liquid cleaner (the lemon stuff) right on the soiled spot. The secret is no agitation. The large washers are great for washing items that are oversized, just make sure it has room to move around. I dried the duvet about halfway in our home dryer-then hung it on the line to dry the rest of the way. Do be careful to check the duvet's seams and not to let it go unchecked in the dryer...down can cause a terrible fire should the duvet open up.
I was prepared to throw it away, but no need. No spot, no smell! Good luck!
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  07:30:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips! I'm going to check it out later today and hopefully clean it at home after all. We do have a front loader washer, so it should fit okay and with little agitation. We just threw the whole thing on the back porch last night to get the smell out of the house quickly. Big sigh...I'll deal with it today.

As for the cat, I think it was my fault. The comforter was on the floor (sheets were in the wash) right on the spot where her litter box was when we first brought her home. She obviously didn't want to come downstairs near my screaming child (another whole long story for another time...) but really had to go. So she went in the spot that was "okay" before, even though there was no box. The comforter was the box. See? My fault. We now have everything up off the floor, and the box is back in that spot for now. She's only lived with us for a few days now and is pretty sick (shelter kitties often get colds) so I'm thinking that she's just not herself. A vet visit tomorrow will hopefully shed some light on this one!

Thanks for the help!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  12:56:36 PM  Show Profile
Ok, so in reading this thread, I will say I'm so sorry about the kitty pee--mine just do it on the bathroom rugs...but, I am going to stupidly ask, "Can you wash all down comforters?"
I have a full size and really resent having to take it to the dry cleaner, and some of them won't even take them now because of "liability"....
So, I have a front load washer and dryer, and gentle detergent. Any special setting, because now I want to go straight home and wash it.

Jonni

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  1:23:26 PM  Show Profile
My cat peed on my Great Aunt's crazy quilt (dated 1910) a number of years ago. I washed it in the bathtub with quilt soap (orvus soap),agitating gently by hand, with an old sheet under it for support. It took several days to dry over top of two wooden stand dryers, but did finally dry and no cat urine smell remained. I feel sure that a down comforter would be fine washed in the bathtub for those who don't have a front loader machine to use... and no sheet required underneath. I should wash my own!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Anastasia
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Anastasia
Telkwa BC
Canada
56 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  2:15:41 PM  Show Profile
If the smell is really in there, there are special cat urine odour removers available (they claim to be non-toxic too). I'm up to three cats and they do occassionally get their collective noses out of joint about something. Anything that even vaguely resembles a laundry pile: look out!!! It's frustrating. However, it does keep us on top of tidying up, and I've learned to close doors on their favourite 'haunts.' Also, sparkling clean and fresh litter boxes help emmensely... ;)

The tennis balls or old clean sneakers are great things to throw in with any comforter; really makes them fluffy.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Anastasia :)

"Speciality is for insects." -Robert Heinlen
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  8:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
One thing that I have always found to work is vinegar- before you wash or dry it dump a healthy bit of straight vinegar on the spot. This helps break down the protiens and such in urine that can cause such horrible odor. If it is small enough it is fine to throw into the wash, and an easy heat in the dry as long as the fabric is okay to be so treated. My family has always washed everything down-pillows, jackets and such.

Hope that helps

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  9:03:06 PM  Show Profile
I've always washed my down-filled items, too - from sleeping bags to coats to comforters. I DO take them to the laundromat because we don't have a large washer, but it sounds like I do pretty much what all you gals do, too. Yep, Jonni - I'd say go ahead and wash the durn things!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

GRITSgal
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Jamie
Cave Spring Georgia
44 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2006 :  12:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Send GRITSgal an AOL message  Send GRITSgal a Yahoo! Message
I always use vinegar to clean out the pet odor on the rug, sofa, bed, comforter and once in a vehicle!

Vinegar took the odor out in a minute!

Give
Live
Love

~jamie lee~
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Cat Pee on a Down Comforter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page