Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 have you started your christmas decorating?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic have you started your christmas decorating? Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  6:40:25 PM  Show Profile
lordy! i just dumped the last of the PUMPKINS in the patch today .. with so much going on this month in preparation for our big trip coming up .. i'll be lucky to get some greenery up! will just use our five foot feather tree rather than a real one this year me-thinks!

how 'bout ya'll? xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  6:45:49 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I started a little bit this evening. Got the table set with some lovely vintage linens I received in a swap. And we'll get the live balled tree up in a week or so. Cant wait to get my Christmas dishes out and start using them!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  6:49:09 PM  Show Profile
Well, I haven't really started yet, but I'm keeping it small this year. I am going home to San Diego for Christmas, from Spokane, so I will just decorate the mantle. I hang a lighted evergreen garland (faux)across the mantle and hang my ornaments on that. I will put a smaller evergreen swag over the mirror over the mantle and hang a few more. The 4 creches will go on the mantle, along with whatever else looks right. Maybe a large snow globe on the coffee table that plays "I'll be Home For Christmas" and then a wreath (faux) hung over the TV. Also a faux wreath on the door. I spent bux last year on two live wreaths and I never got any scent off of them, so I decided to just go with the reusable faux ones this year - and next year - and next - and... I will also put my lighted wreaths on the outside windows in the front and call it good.
And Frannie, I've missed it - where are you going on a "big trip?" You just got back from a month away! LOL

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  6:56:25 PM  Show Profile
Already done! But we minimized this year! I put up the tree yesterday and got it all decorated. Put candles in the windows, decorated the top of the TV stand (we don't have a fireplace so this is our 'mantle'), and placed a few decorations around. Other than the wreaths on the doors I am not doing any outside decorations. I have always put lights on the house and on the two trees outside but last year our dog would unplug them EVERY TIME I turned them on! Seriously within 5 minutes they were unplugged! Every time! I got tired of it and I aint fighting that battle this year! I guess they interupted her sleep! I wish you all could experiance the personality of our three english mastiffs! They are so crazy!

Also since moving to Arkansas we bought a fake tree. I grew up in the north with a short needle tree and you can only get long needles in the south and I just don't like them. So I broke down and went for the fake tree. I do miss the real ones though.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  6:59:39 PM  Show Profile
Husband got the house lights up today and we got the autumn decor down.....Mona enjoyed the last two pumpkins..her favorite treat..that were on the front porch..we had quite a few this year. We plan to get out the Christmas barrels..there are lots...tomorrow or Monday. We won't get our tree until next Saturday...a fresh one. It just seemed too early today. We have quite alot of Christmas stuff. I try to keep the living room more country old fashioned and the family room gets the kid stuff and santa stuff and like that. I want to put a smallish tree in the kitchen this year...we will see. I like a simple evergreen wreath on the front door and a fake one on the kitchen door (gets more traffic and kid bumping) I can hardly wait to see all the stuff.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  7:36:44 PM  Show Profile
judy darlin' .. honey hunk is going to take me on an 'african safari' .. we're going to kenya and tanzania for three weeks .. with a WONDERFUL organization called: TRAVEL LEARN .. we went to Greece with them and they were fabulous! their trips are all about 'education' .. you don't just sight-see .. you LEARN about the life and culture of the countries they take you to. hank went to africa when we first met many moons ago .. wandered around .. even TYING HIMSELF IN TREES on a couple occasions! had the MOST FABULOUS slides he took .. but when we moved to colorado years ago .. the movers lost them! luckily, he did have a big 'showing' of them to lots of friends before they got lost though. told him that i was NOT going to 'rough it' .. that i wanted to sit upon a 'pink princess pillow' and be fed grapes and bon-bons and look at the animals from a safe distance! Travel Learn will get us up close .. but safely i'm sure! after Africa .. on our way home .. we are stopping in Amsterdam for a week .. Hank wants to show me the home where Anne Frank and her family hid out during the holocaust.

AND ... in April .. he is conjuring up a trip with our 'son-in-love' to visit Eastern Europe. This is a trip that i could not do .. it is somewhat of a 'mecca' for hank .. they will be visiting 'death camps' of the holocaust. Frank is very interested in history as is Hank. Hank lost family in those camps and he just wants to visit them to honor his ancestors.

While they are on this sojourn .. i am taking daughter Wednesday to D.C. so show off her children. My family has not seen Lucas since he was a baby (he is now five years old) .. and of course, they have yet to see baby Sofia Catherine. I'm really excited about this as i have not been back to the D.C. area for a year now.

It has always been a big plan of Hank's to do a lot of travelling when he retired. Some trips i will surely go on with him .. other's will be his 'macho' trips and I will gladly stay home 'on the farm'.

I also plan on visiting Ohio at least every six weeks for a few days! I want to do more travelling here in the United States. Have already been to many states in the Union .. but would like to do some 'leisurely' trips .. where i don't have limited time because i have to 'get back to work'.

xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  04:47:48 AM  Show Profile
How Blessed you are, Frannie! I hope you are taking lots of pictures to show us!
We started decorating yesterday. DH put up the outdoor lights and the tree. We do have a fake tree because of allergies. Then DH had to make a store run to buy WORKING lights for the tree! While he was gone daughter and I spread out the branches and put some decorations around the house. I take down quite a few of my normal knick knacks and replace them with Christmas decorations. DH got home and put the new lights on the tree, but by this point both of the kids were gone, so we will decorate the tree after church!
I have to say decorating yesterday got me into more of the Christmas mood!

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  06:20:52 AM  Show Profile
The most I was willing to do in the temperate weather yesterday was to put together a very small tree for my familyroom. It's covered in felt ornaments, little fuzzy sheep, old fashioned Christmas card designs, tiny little felt socks, and yards of paper chains my grandsons made for me. It sits up on a counter where the dog's tail won't find it.

I won't put up the big tree or the mantle decorations until the weather turns. It's too nice to spend the time in the house!

Frannie, it sounds like you're going on the adventure of a lifetime! I'm so glad for you to get to go, and that you're both okay with you staying home for some of the trips that just aren't your thing. I look forward to the pics and stories!
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  08:44:04 AM  Show Profile
I found a fake tree in the attic lastnight, so I put it together, and it's excalt what the box said, a $20 dollar general tree! It's so empty that I put it on our front porch, and I'm going to just put lights on it and a few balls. My husband thinks I'm a nut. If we had our barn built, I would put it in there. I went shopping yesterday and wrapped all the gifts lastnight. I want to experiment with evergreen wreaths, but I'm not sure where to start.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  10:10:13 AM  Show Profile
I usually start the week before Christmas, then leave everything up through the 12 days of Christmas (Twelfth Night, January 6th, Epiphany) and take everything down on the 7th of January. People think I am strange, but it is just the way I do it. For me it ties my Christmas traditions more to the religious holiday than the commercial shopping extravaganza that starts with Black Friday.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Nov 26 2006 10:11:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  11:38:26 AM  Show Profile
I'm hoping to get the fall decorations down today and clean REALLY good so I can take the weekend to decorate the house and yard!! I put a alpine tree in the dining room and a real tree in the living room plus all the rest of the house. Maybe we can post pics so we all can see everyones festive homes?

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
And my new food blog at: www.homesteadblogger.com/gardencafe
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  12:20:22 PM  Show Profile
Cristine - My fake tree was WAY MORE that 20 dollars and looks so real people often as if it is! I can just imagine what a 20 dollar tree from the dollar store would look! LOL!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  12:39:31 PM  Show Profile
No decorating yet - probably will start next weekend. Did purchase a wreath from co-worker as a fund raiser for her preschooler's school. Will get that by the 4th. Have to dig out the faux garlands - these were the best buy I have ever made. Look very real - have pine cones and various evergreen branches and were completed wired with lights. 9' long and only $20 each. With ribbon and decorations, they look very real. Doing a garden/woodland themed tree this year. Finally have enough ornaments to do this tree - first year for this theme. Also bought wired ribbon with red cardinals on them to carry the garden theme further on the wreath, etc. Also got a package of mixed shatter proof ornaments (won't have to worry about breakage), going to try decorating outside on the porch with greens and ornaments.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh

Edited by - asnedecor on Nov 26 2006 12:40:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  1:28:45 PM  Show Profile
The woodstove dries any live greens out in a couple of days.... but as I love the smell of Christmas greens, I usually bring them in on Christmas Eve. The stone mantle over the stove is permanently dressed for Christmas with tin stars, white berries (fake) and little white lights throughout. A grapevine tree with lights gets set out... and then greens for the front door. We're in the 60s all this coming week, though... so I'll wait for cooler weather. I keep it really simple.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  1:41:08 PM  Show Profile
We just finished the tree which was purchased yesterday. Also did the altar. I'll post some pics in a little bit.....

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic have you started your christmas decorating? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page