Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic A Rose on Steroids! Next Topic  

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 19 2005 :  11:41:49 AM  Show Profile
If any of you are contemplating planting a climbing rose to cover a deck, porch railing, shed, ect I have a suggestion, but with a warning too: The New Dawn rose is the one for you! I planted this rose just 4 years ago and now from cane to cane it is about 40-50 feet long and has hundreds of light pink, fragrant blooms. It is impervious to disease, insects and is hardy in all zones. It thrives on neglect! It can grow up to 15 feet a season. It is very thorny though and may be invasive if not trained and pruned back. Give it plenty of space to "sprawl". This rose could cover an entire house in a decade!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 19 2005 :  12:13:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recommendation Meadowlark. I have often heard P.Allen Smith recommend this specific rose in his gardening shows on PBS too.... must be a definate winner! I shall look for one.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  3:51:54 PM  Show Profile
I agree it is a most VIGOROUS grower! We planted it on our arbor 2 years ago and quickly covered it and was starting back on a second time when we decided it needed to be moved before everyone who came through the gate was caught in it's snare! We moved it to the summer
porch and let it go wild, I want this little building to look like an english cotttage so I want it covered with something that will be bold but not have tendrils like ivy or wisteria that could damage the actual structure. We'll see how it goes (or grows) this summer!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic A Rose on Steroids! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page