Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic barns and country life Next Topic  

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  07:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Ok so I'm a bit of a town girl with lots of farmgirl hiding in her. It's coming out more and more! The country makes me nervous...I'm a worrywart yes! I fear deer or people looking in at me at night...dont ask. I just thing the whole being away from people in a house near by or within shouting distance freaks me out. I do inherit land and so does my bf both in the country. And nice acreage. Anyway What I really want whether in town or country...is a BARN! A beautiful barn. Not to house livestock but to have dances, parties, guests sleep over. Like downstairs set for square dances, ceilis, and whatever else. Upstairs rooms for guests to stay. I love barns. like a slight obsession! I would love to have a barn raising like the amish. I'm no so sure what town would have to say about having a barn? Anyone know what town rules are I know they'd be diff everywhere. My fam owns 2 houses across from eachother and theres a small one right behind our backyard. I want to buy that as a guest house/my house and then tear down whats behind on the other side...I know sad to tear houses down. Anyway anyone else love barns?!! Any advice or thoughts. I lived in the country for the first year of my life of the rest 23 years in town. So I think i'm destined for town. :) hehe

"... to thine ownself be true."

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  08:31:22 AM  Show Profile
hmmm. I like barns too. In Ohio there are a bunch of barns that were painted with the Ohio bicentennial logo http://www.ohiobarns.com/ohbarns/ to see a few. Maybe you can get an idea of what you are specifically looking for if you look at lots of existing barns?

On my blog you can see an old barn my husband re-sided, the siding is partially off so you can see the construction.

Then you might also look for timber framing information. I googled and found http://www.tfguild.org/ which might have a lot of links that would help.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Anastasia
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Anastasia
Telkwa BC
Canada
56 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  09:18:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi there! I spent my first 22 years in a city, traveled for two years, spent another five years in a city, worked internationally for four years, and am now living on a farm. Destiny has nothing to do with choice. ;)

Good luck with your barn; my uncle has a wonderful barn that hosted a wedding dance once. I can't wait to build mine...and I think I'll factor in the idea of planning for future gatherings! Just the smell of a barn is marvellous.

Cheers,
Anastasia :)

"Speciality is for insects." -Robert Heinlen
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  09:53:46 AM  Show Profile
Down the road from us is a beautiful, very large barn. the place was once a working farm. Now the barn has been re-done and it is beautiful. It hosts weddings, parties, etc. They put up a stairway up to where the loft door was and put in a french doors and wide porch area. Photos are taken there and the wedding party greets guests. When it is all done up in lights it is real pretty. Tables are set up outside. It looks real gracious.

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  11:20:54 AM  Show Profile
I just love barns, too. I will be so excited when I have a "real" one. There are some beauties around here, too, but most of them are falling into disrepair - Marybeth, it's so neat to hear of one that's been re-done and is useful. I have this imaginary "big red barn" image in my mind that someday...somehow...I know will be here!

Bridget - Wonderful wishes on a barn of your own! You may want to go to one of your town Planning Comission meetings and just ask what the rules for building outbuildings are. If they're not what you'd like to see, ask how you petition for some sort of exception -- go for it!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  5:35:36 PM  Show Profile
Here's mine....

I really love my old barn. The beams are cut and notched by hand, and there are whitewash numbers still up where all the mules were in tie stalls. And the harness hooks still hang on the walls. If you're careful, you can see writing in the cement. In one doorway it says "James H. Leonard Is A Pig-- Edward Graham;" and in another it says "DAD 1917." There are six stalls below, two wide aisles, a feed room, and a huge loft above. Sometimes I stand in the loft and look up in those hand cut beams, and think about the men who put it up. I wonder what they'd think to see the world around their barn today.

I hope you find your dream barn! I found this one when I was 28. I've been here for about 24 years.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  6:07:55 PM  Show Profile
Mary Ann Your barn is a wonder. How lucky for you. And a double rainbow. You really are fortunate.

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  6:23:09 PM  Show Profile
gurlfren .. if you are in the woods .. there is hardly a chance you will get two legged critters looking through your windows .. and the four legged ones are more scared of you than you are of them. i lived buried in the woods for a full year all by my lonesome and it was so very grande! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  6:24:35 PM  Show Profile
ohhhh ahhhhhh maryanne .. what a lovely, lovely barn! xo

oh .. and do add a few words of your very own somewhere on one of those beams too!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  6:52:17 PM  Show Profile
Mary Anne, your barn is amazing! And I just noticed that you are in IL. Where in IL do you live? We are about 20 min. N of the state line in Kenosha WI.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  10:17:39 PM  Show Profile
what a gorgeous barn..I think I'd be tempted to turn that into my house..ha. it's very pretty.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Nov 25 2006 10:18:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  06:14:08 AM  Show Profile
Eren, I'm about an hour's drive south of DeKalb. Does that help?

Tina, I can't live in the barn; I need it for the horses!

Mary Beth, it was quite a quick storm that day. I saw it coming from the west for a long time, and it sent the bulk of it's wrath to the north of us. When it moved east, the early evening sun popped out and gave me a double rainbow, so I ran for the camera fast! When I stood on the deck of the house, it looked like the rainbow was hugging my barn. I have a friend who's a rather intuitive doctor. When she walked in my barn for the first time she took a deep breath, let it out and nodded as she said "This is a healing place." I think so, too.

Frannie, I know it sounds silly because it's my barn and I have every right to, but I don't think I could write on it. It seems too much like a defacement. Does that make any sense?
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  07:25:52 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Wow Mary Ann Love the barn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  11:14:02 AM  Show Profile
Mary Ann has THE best barn! I saved that picture to my computer. I love barns. Hubby & I recently went out taking pictures of some in our area. I'm going to get the pictres framed to decorate my living room.

Handmade delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Visit my blog! http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

The Clark County Farmgirls have a blog! http://thefarmgirls.blogspot.com

Edited by - therusticcottage on Nov 26 2006 11:15:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  11:33:43 AM  Show Profile
Now that's a barn!! Perfect pic too!! I just love barns, the older the better!!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
And my new food blog at: www.homesteadblogger.com/gardencafe
Go to Top of Page

brandyanne
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Debra

81 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  5:35:57 PM  Show Profile
HI Mary Ann- What Illinois town are you in?I live about 50 miles south east of Dekalb in Sterling- small world!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  7:49:45 PM  Show Profile
Hey, I know Sterling! I'm straight south of DeKalb, outside a little town called Earlville. It's about fifteen miles east of Mendota.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  7:52:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kay, I told my hubby that you liked our barn and saved the pic, and he burst out laughing! He wants everyone who admires the barn to take home one of the pigeons in it. Or as my hay man calls them, "city chickens."

Thankyou all, I'm so flattered by your kind words!
Go to Top of Page

brandyanne
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Debra

81 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2006 :  7:10:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh you are not far at all then- I would say I am about 45 minutes from Mendota! Hav a few cousins there.
Go to Top of Page

beckels
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

becky
warrington pa
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2006 :  7:15:23 PM  Show Profile
Bohemiangel - You are not the only country girl to have those fears (but I rather have animals near me (wild or domestic) instead of people... But go to the library and check out books on barns and transforming or restoring them. My best friend moved a barn piece by piece and made it a beautiful home....

Beckels

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic barns and country life Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page