jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  02:15:53 AM  Show Profile
I do not know if this has been already discussed. If so, please excuse the redundancy. However, I recently read a startling article on an herb called Kava. It was about a healthy, active and young woman who took an all natural energy booster/vitamin. Over time, she became very, very ill and ultimately her liver failed, and she had to have a transplant. The cause of this mysterious illness eventually was traced back to the energy booster she had taken which contained kava.

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/kava/index.htm#cautions

I have provided a website for further information; please be aware of this.

Ephesians 1:17

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  04:47:50 AM  Show Profile
I think the failure here is in her not monitoring her liver function.

I've been taking kava daily for years, with my doctor's knowledge. When get my annual bloodwork done, I ask for a liver panel to make sure things are still going fine. I tolerate kava well, but not everyone does.

People need to quit thinking of herbal medicine as being benign because it's all natural. It is indeed powerful medicine, and should be treated as such. We also need to be proactive as consumers and patients and educate ourselves about all medicines we take, herbal, prescription, or over the counter.

And kava isn't an energy booster; it's an anti-anxiety herb.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  06:25:55 AM  Show Profile
The article said she had purchased an all natural product that was meant to boost her energy. Since I had never heard of kava before, I was only quoting what I read.

There was another online I source I found that mentions it has been used for a long time by Polynesians and island people. It sounded as if they used it for mood lifting and a boost of energy too. Anyway, it is good, as you say, to be aware that any product you take needs research and knowledge and a doctor's okay for your own safety.

Ephesians 1:17

Edited by - jpbluesky on Nov 22 2006 06:51:55 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Kava Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page