MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  12:54:21 PM  Show Profile
I have to keep a pot of water on the woodstove because it gets so dry in the house, and I always add some apples and cinnamon to the water, but I was curious as to what you girls put in the water. I have read about essential oils, but would it take a lot? because we go through several tea pots of water a night.
thanks,
Cristine

Love is to the heart what summer is to the farmer's year. It brings to harvest all the lovliest flowers of the soul. --Billy Graham

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  1:29:26 PM  Show Profile
I put orange peel, cinnamon sticks and whole cloves in mine. We have a Lodge 4 quart pot that I use. I refill water with a half gallon milk jug, but leave the "fixins" until they've given up the scent, then clean it out and start again. It lasts a week or two.

Ann....who loves the smell of burning wood. :)

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Anastasia
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Anastasia
Telkwa BC
Canada
56 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  2:21:33 PM  Show Profile
I use three drops of essential oil per pot, but I have loads of varieties so it doesn't use up much. At any rate, the essential oils will not last forever so it's nice to use them for aromatherapy!

Also, I was talking to a lady who sells Epicure spices the other day and she said that she reuses her mulled wine spices three times for the wine itself, drying them in between, and then uses the spices in her stove pot as a potpourri.

Cheers,
Anastasia :)

"Speciality is for insects." -Robert Heinlen
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  2:39:36 PM  Show Profile
I know it sounds ridiculous, but I can't find cinnamon sticks at walmart, except in the craft dept. I have 4 pounds of whole cloves that we make clove-oranges by sticking them in the orange skin, and rolling it in cinnamon during the holidays, but I don't get much scent from them. The apples and cheap powdered cinnamon was the best I could do.

What kinds of essential oils are good for this? Are these like the oils you can use in the potpourri pot that they sell in walmart??
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  2:45:40 PM  Show Profile
my mom uses EOs on her stove. Just a few drops per can (she uses a bulk size coffee can.) and she fills the can a few times daily.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  2:48:14 PM  Show Profile
What is EO? I just found on eBay 15 two milliliter vials for 10 dollars. Is this a good price? How much is 2ml? Is it enough I could use it a few times. This seems a lot more sensible than buying candles that will never scent the whole room..
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  2:54:35 PM  Show Profile
EO-essential oil :D

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  3:10:50 PM  Show Profile
hahah. that's funny.
what do you think about the amount I would be getting? 2 ml? 15 bottles of different fragrances for 10 dollars?
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  5:25:13 PM  Show Profile
I buy bulk herbs from From Frontier Herb Co-op at http://www.frontiercoop.com/

They have anything you could ever need, including oils. I used to make a simmering potpourri for our shop that included apple bits, orange peel, juniper berries, cinnamon sticks and star anise. We added tiny pine cones and a little green leaf (can't think of the name right now), just for pretty. You can get cinnamon pretty inexpensively if you don't mind broken pieces-which is great for simmering. Everything comes by the pound as I remember, and they do sell wholesale too.

Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  10:00:57 PM  Show Profile
I know that the essential oils I use are priced differently depending on what they are - for instance, rose is ridiculously expensive, and peppermint, rather inexpensive. I use a couple of drops of lavender in the "stove water" and it's a really nice, non-headachy way to scent the house.

Cristine - the 2mL seems like a really small amount to me - and the 15 bottles for 10 dollars - are they 2mL bottles? They'd probably last you for quite a few uses, though, if you think 2-3 drops per use. Just make sure they are scents that you like! I just love essential oils for lots of things. I think that once you start using them, you will, too.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  06:05:48 AM  Show Profile
They have something like 88 different "sets" of Scents. Some of them are spring like, some are patchouli and whatnot, but the one I got is Autumn Harvest http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4449979486 I got the buy it now one for 15 dollars with free shipping, so it's about even. They have tons very very cheap! Maybe ya'll would like to look at them??
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Atop the woodstove.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page