katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2015 :  10:24:37 PM  Show Profile
You just never know what the evening will bring while relaxing on the patio.. tonight's evening show was,,, a mama deer giving birth to twins... I tried to take photos w/o a flash so not to scare mama... Mama had finished removing the placentia ,,, from baby number two while baby number one was standing as I was trying to get in closer for a photo,,, but not to close... don't need a over protective mama charging me... It's moments like this when I wish I had a better camera....

even our little calico kitty hung out around the mama & her 2 new babies and no one seemed bothered.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2015 :  06:55:54 AM  Show Profile
What a beautiful sight! Thank you so much for the pictures. It was smart not to use the flash. Mama had enough to deal with as it was!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6917 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6917 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2015 :  07:09:16 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I know the deer reek havoc in your garden, but being witness to such a awesome act of nature must be wonderful.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2015 :  09:55:23 AM  Show Profile
Sara,,, after meeting one of the Rats w/antlers... and her babies,, it was all I could do,,, to not be tempted to take down the tempory fencing... lol!

Actually I put our a bucket of water and a couple slices of bread for mama... she drank, ate and then proceeded over to my Lilac bush and enjoyed the leaves.. I just checked on her and the babies,, all are well and napping...

I think this little one wants to go Camping...

this one is napping...

mama loving her baby...

We made sure not to come in contact w/the babies,(touch or hug),, even when #2 started to walk over to us... we quickly walked away... do not want to imprint w/the babies..... some mamas will reject their babies if the babies imprint w/a human... so no physical contact which is difficult at best cuz the babies are soooo darn stinking Cute! and they make this little noise that sounds like a kitten.. OMG!
I am surorised,,, as birthing season around here is late May to end of June... so a mid July birth is not in the norm...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2015 :  3:18:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for sharing

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2015 :  3:29:36 PM  Show Profile
Such sweet photos!! Thanks for sharing!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  10:16:08 AM  Show Profile
With Joy, comes a wee bit of sadness... We were concerned when we could only see 1 of the babies yesterday,,, then neither of them... later mama stopped by, and snacked in the garden and left for the night... we didn't see her 1st thing in the morning,,, but then around 7am she wandered back into our property... we watched her go to my garden and then saw her licking something,,, as we got closer we spotted one of the babies... mama walked out of the garden, toward us, and then to the back of the property and that is when we noticed the baby had expired sometime (through the night or early morning)... Mama was trying to get her baby to get up... mama walked over to us, in a gentle manner and then walked away... after she left the property poor Gary had the task of digging a grave for the little wee one... Mama has not come back yet,,,, We suspect she is hunkered down somewhere with the other baby. Mama deer usually get their babies hunkered down in a safe brushy area while the mama forages.... also to keep predators from following her back to the babies, mama will not take the same route to prevent creating a scent path.... There is a 13acre ranch across the road from us,,, lots of Oaks and shrub... hoping that is where mama and her remaining baby are..
I had taken a couple of photos (last evening) of mama.. 'planted' in my garden area.

Life in the mountains or out in the country can be beautiful, even when tinged with w bit of sadness...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  11:06:57 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Very sad! We have dear on our property ALL of the time, at all hours. I haven't seen one with tiny fawn, but I wouldn't be surprised if there hasn't been back in the woods.
There are two big bucks that hang out under the apple trees just a few yards from the house . . . hope they leave my garden alone!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  1:48:58 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I have seen many new fawns this year! They are amazing to me. Such a sweet sight. I loved the pictures
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Baby Deers..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page