Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Needing to make hard descisions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Needing to make hard descisions Next Topic  

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2015 :  09:05:34 AM  Show Profile
Hey all. I hate making hard descisions. Last year, I adopted 2 kittens after having my old cat put to sleep (she had cancer). Here it is a year later, my female calico, miss priss, came in 3 legged. Swollen hock. Was waiting for it to abcess, logically thinking she was bitten by something. No abcess. Took her into the vet. She was put on antibiotics. Over the course of 3 days after starting the antibiotics, it spread to the other hock. Took her back this past Monday. Different vet, same clinic, thought she was attacked, soft tissue damage, no x ray, put her on additional antibiotics and an injectable steroid. Some improvement. Took her back. Saw original vet. He still wants x rays. Wants to run autoimmune tests. Really??? Still has fever (102.9). Don't have the money. If it is autoimmune, it would mean lots of meds. I just can't do it finacially. How do I explain this to an 8 year old? If I lie to him, and tell him that she died, and instead, relinquish her to the vet for adoption, I could lose his trust, especially where he'd want a "memorial service" for her. Then how do I explain why we don't have her remains?

Next, our 14 year old german short haired pointer has all of a sudden began having seizures. He had his first one in April. His latest one was last night. I don't know how many he's had in between, but I think he's had a couple anyway. I'm almost certain it's a brain tumor. He tore off a growth one night when he got loose. It grew back. That's generally not a good sign. Especially with the onset of seizures. He'll probably get to the happy hunting grounds this fall before the ground freezes. Due to his age, we aren't going to put him through testing and treatment. It's just prolonging the inevitable.

I hate hard descisions especially with a child involved.

TTFN...
Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  3:34:57 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I'm really sorry about all this :(

As for what to do/tell your 8 year old, I think that honesty is the best policy. Most farm kids can handle the truth when it comes to birth, death, and otherwise. If yours can't, then you need to use your judgement, but you could say she went to a better home where her legs would be better.

And with your GSP, 14 is a good, long life! Maybe you could let your son that he is in a lot of pain, and ask what he thinks the right thing to do is?

Sorry for your rough times, Lorie :( We had some rough losses in June, so I get it!

Hugs!

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.PracticalFarmgirl.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  3:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Many many (((hugs)))!!! We had to put down our dutch shepherd this past year. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done... We also had to give away our children's chickens. For us, it was a matter of being brutally honest with our kids. Did it break their hearts? Absolutely! But I would much rather them know the truth. Ours are 11, 9, 8, 6, 4, and 2. Praying for you through these hard times!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13642 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13642 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  7:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
So sorry for your situation! It's SOOOOOO difficult at times! I agree that the truth is best!
Praying for you!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3950 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3950 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  2:38:57 PM  Show Profile
I would have a family meeting and discuss the animals' health problems. Lay out all the options and be honest about the costs and benefits and pros and cons. Include the child in the decision of what to do next. This way they will feel as if they have a choice and their opinion is valued. These animals belong to them too.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  1:53:55 PM  Show Profile
So sorry. Hugs.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  5:22:15 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry you have to go through this. We love our animals but can't bankrupt the family to care for them sometimes. Hope she gets better.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  08:59:27 AM  Show Profile
We got the dog through the Thursday night. Got a phone call from my husband Friday during towards the end of my shift that the house was a mess (and boy it was) from seizures and post seizure activity. He continued to have them through the evening. I put him in his crate, which was never used, for the night and he didn't have any while in the crate. First thing that Saturday, he had another one. I looked at my husband and told him that I couldn't go the weekend with this just to wait until the vet was in on Tuesday. So we took him to the Emergency Clinic and sent him to the happy hunting grounds. My son took it ok. Our dog is deeply missed. But it will be a while before we get another. Our cat is slowly improving. Her food dish used to be under my bed to keep the dog out of it. It's moved back down into the living area and the cat box is in the basement. So as long as she's getting around well enough to eat and use the box, we'll keep her around. Thank you all for your prayers and hugs.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  11:07:19 AM  Show Profile
Lorena,I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I understand how much it hurts. We had to help our beagle on her way when the cancer got to bad. She went outside one last time and then needed help coming in,laid down and stayed there. The next morning we took her.Ihope your cat is doing better.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Needing to make hard descisions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page