Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Cinnamon Spice Candle Holders
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cinnamon Spice Candle Holders Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2015 :  3:02:09 PM  Show Profile
I was digging around the internet the other day for spice covered candles and found this easy how to link. Basically, you take unscented pillars, carve out the top for a tea light or LED light, apply a mode-podge mixture thinned with water and roll in your choice of cinnamon and other spices. I chose to add cloves to my mix. Allow to dry for about 45 minutes and then spray with a light clear varnish. Before I did the varnish, I spritzed the candles lightly with some cinnamon bun potpourri spray. The varnish holds the spices in place and the spray ensures that the candle has that nice spice scent. When totally dry, I just finished them off with various ribbons and fabrics etc.

Check them out.

The second photo gives you a good look at the surface. My office area smells so good with all that cinnamon floating in the air too. These candles are really easy to make. It is a bit messy but nothing that stains and everything wipes up with a damp cloth.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7492 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7492 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2015 :  7:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
They look great, Winnie. Only thing is I'd only use LED tea lights because I think the varnish might be flammable. And I usually only use LED lights anyway. My DIL is a volunteer firefighter, so candles are a no-no.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Jul 11 2015 7:36:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2015 :  05:13:33 AM  Show Profile
You have a good point! I tried them already with a candle lit and all was well but one never knows. I think Home Depot sells the mini LED lights and I plan to get some anyway because I like the idea of being able to use the candle in all sorts of decorative ways where a real lit flame would be a no no. I have one little LED light that I placed in one candle and set it in a wooden bowl of seasonal potpourri and it looked so cute! Plus, it looked festive hiding in an open cupboard with some fall decorations. The LED light really makes it flexible as a decorating piece for the Fall or Christmas season.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2015 :  05:45:56 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, the fall bug has bitten you early this year ~~~ isn't it fun!
Love the candles. I'm with Linda on the LED lights. The only live flame around my house are the citronella candles/fire tower outside.

Winnie got a question for you. The crow picture in silver frame ~~~ did you make it and if so how? It is really cute.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Edited by - YellowRose on Jul 12 2015 05:46:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7492 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7492 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2015 :  10:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I have LED tealights and LED votive candle lights. They are great to use in multiple places.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2015 :  2:39:44 PM  Show Profile
Sara, the crow tie on was just a stamp on one of those tags you buy that are made sort of stained to make them look old. I have been wanting a home for it and this candle seemed like the perfect spot because the fabric has black crows and apples in the print.
And yes, I always get a bit of "Fall Fever" once the 4th of July passes by and I get tired of the endless heat and humidity down here. It is fun to just try new crafts and projects for distraction!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cinnamon Spice Candle Holders Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page