Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Wafer thin quilt batting?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Wafer thin quilt batting? Next Topic  

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2015 :  5:07:52 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies,

I am making a quilt for a 7 year old girl mom identifies as a "little furnace" when she sleeps! What do I use for batting? I have read several options, and have decided no batting is not a good idea. What about flannel/ a flannel sheet? That seems to be a good possibility, but I would love to hear from people who know what they are talking about - you experienced quilters.

Any advice and comments would be greatly appreciated. BTW...I am keeping a notebook devoted specifically to my learnings as I quilt, make mistakes then learn how to fix them, the advice I've found here on this wonderful board, and I have to give credit to the FABULOUS ladies at the Quilters Studio in Fairfax VA.

Thanks in advance-
Cindy

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7492 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7492 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2015 :  5:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Many quilters use a flannel as batting, but should be a good quality so it will hold up to washing.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2015 :  5:53:41 PM  Show Profile
I have used flannel before. It holds up really well. Make sure to wash it first because it will shrivel up if not.
Happy Quilting!

Hugs,
Jessica

F.K.A. CRsHelpmeet

"A friend is one who overlooks your broken fence to admire the flowers in your garden."
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2015 :  7:03:24 PM  Show Profile
There is batting that is super thin but tightly woven so it makes a great filling for quilts. Walmart carries it. I think it is called Heirloom.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  05:43:40 AM  Show Profile
Ladies,

Thank you for your advice!

For this particular quilt I think I will try flannel, motivated by a 50% off any one item at Jo-Ann's and I saw they have some very wide flannel that is not on sale so the coupon applies. An extra "thank you" for the reminder to was hit first - I saw some pictures on some blogs of quilts that were essentially ruined by a significant amount of shrinkage of the flannel inside.

I'll track down the thin Heirloom batting for the next one.

I have a feeling I'm going to get somewhat spoiled by not battling all the fabric and bulk of regular loft batting - this thin quilt should be much easier to quilt.

Thanks again-
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  07:18:59 AM  Show Profile
I prefer the thin batting for quilting. The thicker batting seems to make it more like a comforter. Just me but I like a thin quilt.
Nice little extra that you could use the 40% off too!
~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 09 2015 07:19:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7492 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7492 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  09:16:00 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
For my bed quilts I like using the Warm and Natural battings. I have previously bought an entire roll and used the 40% off JoAnns coupon. I have a lot more quilts than beds. LOL! On the guest bed I have a stack of at least 4 quilts.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2015 :  10:00:44 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad to learn of flannel as batting. Even the very thin batting made my tee shirt more like a comforter. I have used fleece before in something for the grandkids.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.
www.etsy.com/shop/
anniemayme
Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2015 :  2:52:03 PM  Show Profile
The Heirloom warm and natural batting is thin and this is what I use for most of my quilts. I think it holds up well and the quilts are still useful even in the summer.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Wafer thin quilt batting? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page